The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiggie View Post
Setting individual EQs not so much. The manual walks me through the process (and I've got the hard copy that shipped with and the online version) and it's not rocket science to follow the steps. But when I'm done and check the settings on each instrument (using the exit button and slightly turning any knob) the settings are whatever the current knob is at, not what I preset. I even tried setting up both channels then writing to a memory patch to see if it gets saved that way.
I'm a bit confused about the first part of your issue where you say check the settings as you don't say you are saving those settings to memory, in which case nothing will be saved so the EQ will be determined by the knob.

When you do say you have stored the settings to a memory patch, are you following the online manual or the hard copy that came with the unit? The hard copy is completely wrong and won't work, the online version is correct.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 AM

Jon, currently the online and hardcopy manuals are identical. I didn't check every page but several places, enough to feel sure they have synced them up. Anyway, this thread is because I can't get from the manual how to set up 2 different EQs, either in memory or manual modes. And this is the main thing I need this pedal to do for me. Equalize the signals of 2 different instruments and set the EQs for the best sounds. And I spent a day trying every possible way. Since there isn't anyone else online that has written up the same problem, I assume I'm missing something pretty fundamental or I have a defective pedal.

I even tried setting the EQs to 1 channel deep bass and the 2nd to high treble just to see if the EQ was there but I just couldn't verify it from the knob settings but whatever channel I had selected used whatever settings the knobs were last set to. I'm not as good with electronics as back in the good ole days but I'm still able to manage the PA sound for my band.

So confused, any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for responding...
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM

A bit of an update on my (frustrating) BOSS AD-10 experience. Mine is going back to BOSS (via the store where I bought it) as it is no longer working. BOSS will send a replacement unit.

In short, (and on my unit anyway), there are a number of functions that simply do not work:

i.e. separate EQ-ing of channels 1 & 2 does not work.
Memory settings do not all work as explained (some do, some don't).
Stomp triggering of specific functions does not work.
And now, the Output level (main) no longer works!

The AD-10 has some good features (i.e. anti feedback is really good, a pleasing sound can be dialed in with some guitars, 2 channels I/P, 2 O/P with dry or wet option) but it fails on too many levels to be worth the trouble.

I suspect I will sell the replacement once it gets here.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
A bit of an update on my (frustrating) BOSS AD-10 experience. Mine is going back to BOSS (via the store where I bought it) as it is no longer working. BOSS will send a replacement unit.

In short, (and on my unit anyway), there are a number of functions that simply do not work:

i.e. separate EQ-ing of channels 1 & 2 does not work.
Memory settings do not all work as explained (some do, some don't).
Stomp triggering of specific functions does not work.
And now, the Output level (main) no longer works!

The AD-10 has some good features (i.e. anti feedback is really good, a pleasing sound can be dialed in with some guitars, 2 channels I/P, 2 O/P with dry or wet option) but it fails on too many levels to be worth the trouble

I suspect I will sell the replacement once it gets here.

My 2 cents.
HAd an AD-10.... I went back to a Radial PZ-Pre which has dual channels/eq. No muss no fuss. No deep diving.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM

And I'll be selling mine too! I concur with Daniel above.

Couldn't get the independent channel EQ working, the reverb is useless and I bought a dedicated one, I ended up buying a separate dual switch pedal to control the looper also. I found myself having to dig out the manual often and wade through the *very* poor menu/display system to configure things. Honestly, I was using Yamaha multi FX in the 80s with far superior and logical menus/display than this, it's like something from the 70s.

Boss make great bullet-proof individual pedals but this all-in-one solution bundles basic/poor quality fx with a lousy interface IMO. The 'search and destroy' feedback buster would have been useful, but too many headaches in the way of that.

I have now bought a Bose T1 digital preamp/mixer (grab 'em while you can) for a great price and will be building my board around this with separate pedals.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 PM

Good thread any follow up or did everyone pretty much abandon the ad10 due to the quality issues
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 PM

I'm still using mine and like it, sort of. The effects aren't great. The looper doesn't have an undo feature for dubs. The menu system is HORRIBLE. I've spent a lot of time with the manual and it is like reading hieroglyphics.

I bought it to get an all-in-one pedal to simplify my pedalboard. I kind of wish I hadn't. It does make my instruments sound great.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Has anyone tried the Ad-10 vs Zoom A3?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoryn View Post
Has anyone tried the Ad-10 vs Zoom A3?
Yes, I have done this. I used the Zoom A3 for several years and loved it very much, still do actually.

Then I heard about the "resonance" feature in pedals and started looking for something that could do much of what my Zoom does but with added resonance.

I found the Boss AD10 and now own one and use it instead of the Zoom. The Boss AD10 doesn't have the "guitar modeling" the Zoom has but the sound is remarkably good, especially with added resonance.

Neither pedal sounds just like a mic'd acoustic but I really love my AD10. I keep my Zoom A3 sort of as a backup.

Hope this helps,
PJ
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM

Photojeep thanks for the info! I've been using the zoom for several years as well. Been wondering whether it was worth upgrading to the boss AD10 as a replacement to my zoom A3 or to maybe add another pedal to my chain (E.g. The lr Baggs session/reverb)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM

I tapped out on the AD-10. Now using an HX Stomp or a PZ Pre.

Last edited by Foss38; 02-03-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Default Still Using?

I still use the functions that work on mine. I can at least balance signal gain between 2 instruments, use the tuner, occasional reverb. I just found an EQ that works "kind-of" for my 2 instruments. Still hoping someday to read they have fixed their separate EQ and memory storage issues. Can't believe they are still selling it with this many problems. Any other feedback, I'd love to hear. Thanks...
Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Boss AD 10

Bought an AD10. Acoustic sounds are great,except there is a built in limiter that compresses the signal,when you really punch with a hard,percussive rhythm. Tried every adjustment and it still does it. Using the R/mono output to pa, Any help?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Hi, I finally moved from fishman tonedeq to the boss ad-10. I have a question regarding its FX loop.
My rig consists of ad-10 and TC play acoustic.
I want my guitar to use only the ad-10 for everything and then outputs via the two XLRs and into my mixer.
I want may TC play acoustics to process only voice and output stereo signal via the two XLRs then into my mixer. But i need it to create harmonies by tracking my guitar chords so i plugged the ad-10 fx SEND into the TC's guitar input. I did not use the ad-10's 3/4 jack out because it may include wet signal already and will be used for my monitor anyway
The question is, since the ad-10's SEND connects to the TC guitar IN, and the TC doesnt have guitar through to plug back to the AD-10's RETURN, can i just leave it at that?
I dont intend to have the TC's guitar signal sent back to the AD-10 anyway.. do you think this setup is fine? Or will it cause any issues at all ?

Thanks in advance..
Jef
Old 09-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosjef View Post
Hi, I finally moved from fishman tonedeq to the boss ad-10. I have a question regarding its FX loop.
My rig consists of ad-10 and TC play acoustic.
I want my guitar to use only the ad-10 for everything and then outputs via the two XLRs and into my mixer.
I want may TC play acoustics to process only voice and output stereo signal via the two XLRs then into my mixer. But i need it to create harmonies by tracking my guitar chords so i plugged the ad-10 fx SEND into the TC's guitar input. I did not use the ad-10's 3/4 jack out because it may include wet signal already and will be used for my monitor anyway
The question is, since the ad-10's SEND connects to the TC guitar IN, and the TC doesnt have guitar through to plug back to the AD-10's RETURN, can i just leave it at that?
I dont intend to have the TC's guitar signal sent back to the AD-10 anyway.. do you think this setup is fine? Or will it cause any issues at all ?

Thanks in advance..
Jef
I think you would have to try it out. It wouldn't cause any issues, as long as it works for you tonally and as a general solution.

I've been using my AD10 for 18mths and love it, I had a complex board previously, running an Aura 16, RC30 and various boost/OD/reverb pedals. The AD10 is great as an all-in-one system, the compression, delay and EQ are all very useable, the acoustic resonance function really fills out my Sunrise pickups with added detail and air, and the feedback reduction options are impressive too. The reverb (which isn't really reverb, it's labelled "ambience") is a bit weak, but I turn it off and use the excellent verb on my Hughes and Kettner Era 2 instead...problem solved. The looper doesn't have an undo function, but the answer to that is to get it right the first time!

The general complaints others have voiced are that it's excessively complex to use and dial in. I haven't found that at all. The menu system requires a little homework, but it's easy when you get to know the basics.

My advice would be to try the unit and work out what you want to change and are likely to wish to tweak on the fly at shows. Learn the controls and menus for those parameters and familiarise yourself with the LCD menu shorthand, then work outward from there. It's a great and versatile little unit which has been a touring staple for me over the last year and a half. Well over 200 shows in with it and it's staying put!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification