The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Anyone use an Electric through a Fishman mini?

Still playing with idea's
Thinking of using a Fishman Mini for my guitar and vocal monitor
Something like:
ES339 through a multi-effect pedal for the BF Fender tone
into the Mini
Vocal into the mini
and then into the main board..

Would the Mini do it or maybe move up to the Artist or ?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Still playing with idea's
Thinking of using a Fishman Mini for my guitar and vocal monitor
Something like:
ES339 through a multi-effect pedal for the BF Fender tone
into the Mini
Vocal into the mini
and then into the main board..

Would the Mini do it or maybe move up to the Artist or ?

Thanks
Hi CASD57…

I have a different brand of acoustic amp (UltraSound) but it is similar in that it uses a woofer and high frequency driver. I asked that question of the company, and the designer of the amp responded that it would likely eventually blow the high frequency driver since it's circuitry and parts are designed for clean play not distortion.

He also designs electric tube amps, and has seen his acoustic amps damaged by playing electrics through them.

I'd check with Fishman and ask them. They have a good service/support department.

I also stopped feeding my amp to the mains and began splitting them at the preamp. My chain is guitar-->preamp/blender-->PA/amp. I can feed both simultaneously.

You could ask Fishman about using a monitor feed from the house back to your amp as a personal monitor.

The main reason I feed the board and the amp simultaneously is then I can adjust my amp and not affect the house PA (techs don't like me messing with the signal once the house is set). And I monitor vocals from the monitor system.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-08-2015, 12:08 PM

I wonder how Fender does it with their Acoustic's ?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I wonder how Fender does it with their Acoustic's ?
Hi CASD…

Does what with which Acoustics?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Ahhh I see the spelling error..Sorry!

The Fender Acoustasonic 150 2x8 is designed to use Electric's, Acoustic's and Vocals..
unless I read it wrong and that could be the case..
From the web site:
"Fender's Acoustasonic™ 150 Combo acoustic guitar amplifier has all the features you need to get through any gig in style. Plus, it includes several different acoustic Voicings, so you can get a variety of tones. The Acoustasonic 150 Combo even includes electric amp sounds, so you can bring along your electric guitar and plug in! You can plug in both your instrument and a microphone, for an instant solo PA. Or, plug instruments into both channels. You get great-sounding effects, a balanced line-out, and even a USB connection (perfect for recording). Feeback-elimination controls keep the 150-watt Acoustasonic 150 sounding great even at higher levels".

Last edited by CASD57; 08-08-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Cocobologist

Electric through a Mini? Well, yes. And no.

My Loudbox Mini is on a shelf behind my desk. I plug all my guitars into it - Electric and acoustic. However, I don't use any other effects other than what's onboard the Mini (Reverb, chorus). IMO, it's a great way to discover/study the characteristics of the pickups in an electric before all the processing of your pedalboard.

Single coil and Humbucker, solidbody and hollowbody electrics - If you are playing clean, I see no reason why you couldn't use the Loudbox - I have/do, and it sounds great. Being that the Taylor ES and several others use magnetic pickups in their system -- The same principle as electric pickups -- You should have no problems.

One caveat -- If you have a high output preamp or mid-boost installed in the electric guitar (Like a Clapton Strat), I would avoid using them in the Loudbox as they will overdrive the front end and may cause damage to the preamp or the tweeter as previously mentioned.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 AM

I've decided "Finally" to go with the Roland Street Cube EX
Since I'm mainly using it as a monitor and if I need more I'll put it into the mains..

Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM

The Loudbox Mini (60 watts RMS) is a much better sounding and louder amp than the Street EX (probably closer to 5 watts RMS - I've owned one and as an EE the math on how much power you get from 8 AA batteries is fairly straight forward). If you can stand to be in the room with the Mini while playing distorted guitar, you are probably at little risk of blowing the tweeter and certainly will do no harm to the electronics. Even replacing the tweeter will be relatively cheap if you did blow it. Many Genz Benz acoustic amps had switchable tweeters which to my ear sounded very nearly as good for acoustic guitar when switched off. I think a good amp modeling effects pedal (Line6, Digitech, Zoom, etc.) into the Loudbox will sound much better.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 PM

Dang it... I know your right and that was one of my first idea's
One of the things I didn't mention is I play clean 98% of the time...
I would need something like the Calfornia Blonde or Behringers equal.. To get a more guitar tone...
Or even a basic multi-effect pedal
I do like the Mini-Pak I could use a new mic..

Last edited by CASD57; 08-09-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:51 PM

I talked to Fishman about using my original Loudbox 100 with and electric guitar, and was told anything was fine but using overdrive, distortion or fuzz. Since the system is designed to be really clean, the circuitry is not able to handle overdriven sounds.

I did play a gig with both acoustic and electric with the Loudbox - this was a small guitar/bass duo gig, and I play nothing but clean tones anyway. While the electric tone was a bit thin, it wasn't bad at all.

Still, it's not something I'd do regularly.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Well I went a complete different direction and for about the same cost
Powered floor wedge that is pole mountable if needed, a mixer with FX and a pedal to get the BF Fender tone
This way the system is expandable in the future
Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 PM

These days using my T5z to cover acoustic and electric, I either bring a Yamaha DBR10 (really for our all our duo's stuff) or a newly purchased Lunchbox Acoustic. I drive both with a Zoom MS-50G for reverbs (DBR10 only) and electric amp modeling (w/wo distortion).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 PM

I know it's an old thread, but tonight I was supposed to gig with the acoustic, but for my mistake I brought my Telecaster instead of my Godin Acousticaster and the Fishman Loudbox Mini, so I had no choice but to plug the Tele into the loudbox and gig with it, I even used a little bit of Tubescreamer so I did use some overdrive, sounded pretty good and nothing bad happened.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 PM

I played my G&L ASAT Thinline Bluesboy thru my Artist when I first got it the guitar. Then I read the manual and went an bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410. The right tools for the job. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fishman Artist. It is the most versatile amp I've ever owned. It will be a key part of a David Gilmore "Sound on Sound" rig I am currently putting together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification