The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Murphy,
while I often love stereo in a live event, I'm afraid your solution will be too much stereo.
With "high-power" speakers in a typical arrangement (left and right infront of you) there is the danger that one half of the audience will hear very different things than the other half.
I guess you're right, I was thinking the S-1's would carry the front and the further back you got it wouldn't matter because of the distance, a lot of people just use one speaker in the air, so two would work the same way.

But you are probably right.

Just thinking out loud.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
When I used to mix a live stereo image, I'd place the knobs at 10 and 2 rather than maxing them.
This is exactly how I like it. It's amazing how very little panning, even 11 and 1 can help to seperate things.
Especially acoustic guitars can cover a wide range of frequencies and if there are 2 of them cramped into one speaker it's hard to hear what they play.
of course that should be solved with correct arrangements and different sounds but we don't that all the time.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:43 AM

Unhappy

Hi,

I am more thinking of each one with his speaker (L1,S1,..) beyond the musicians, this way every one has his own "position" in the mix. Organic sound would be a good way to call it.
Everybody can ear himself well and the sound to the public is mixed.

Often I think of an ideal concert in a theater ... which is not always (often) the reality...
Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Hi,

I am more thinking of each one with his speaker (L1,S1,..) beyond the musicians, this way every one has his own "position" in the mix. Organic sound would be a good way to call it.
Everybody can ear himself well and the sound to the public is mixed.

Often I think of an ideal concert in a theater ... which is not always (often) the reality...
Yes, that's what I was thinking.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:13 AM

Me too, but with more....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Last night my friend was hosting an open mic with the system using 2 Bose S1's (and a mixer). Less than 3 months old. One of the S1s would not turn on, tried different outlets and the power cord from the one that did work. Guessing there's an internal fuse that blew?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Last night my friend was hosting an open mic with the system using 2 Bose S1's (and a mixer). Less than 3 months old. One of the S1s would not turn on, tried different outlets and the power cord from the one that did work. Guessing there's an internal fuse that blew?
I don't like hearing that. Reminds me to bring my QSC k8.2 as a backup! Please keep us posted as to what the issue ended up being.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 AM

Regretfully stuff happens and things you tested can fail. I was a professional photographer for years. I carried duplicates of every piece of equipment that I needed. Rarely something failed and I always had a backup to replace it with. From my Boy Scout years the motto of “Be Prepared” has worked well for me.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Any word on what caused this?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Any word on what caused this?
I asked her yesterday - she said it started working again, unexplainedly, so she never took it into the shop.

Is there a thermal fuse that would re-set once cooled in the amp?
I suspect a loose connection between power cord inlet and amplifier.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Maybe she left it turned on in the case. The battery may have depleted completely. Some amps with rechargeable batteries will not function properly of the battery is completely depleted even if they are plugged in.

A variation of this could be that a combination of trying to charge a fully depleted battery and playing at volumes close to capacity may have triggered a thermal breaker.

The battery is supposed to just trickle charge while it is playing so that last one shouldn’t be likely.

This is a scary story for those of us who rely on these speakers.

One last thing: has she done the firmware update? The main new feature is the enhanced Bluetooth features, but Bose may have also done some reliability housekeeping in the same update. Also, after installing this firmware update, subsequent ones can be done wirelessly from the phone app. If there is a general issue, Bose will likely address it with one of these updates.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Regretfully stuff happens and things you tested can fail. I was a professional photographer for years. I carried duplicates of every piece of equipment that I needed. Rarely something failed and I always had a backup to replace it with. From my Boy Scout years the motto of “Be Prepared” has worked well for me.
I have backups for everything at a wedding. I have two identical pedal boards, extra cables, speakers, a second guitar...
Old 10-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Is there a thermal fuse that would re-set once cooled in the amp?
I suspect a loose connection between power cord inlet and amplifier.
Either is possible. I'd bring a backup speaker until you either get it checked out or you are certain that it was just some kind of fluke.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-18-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I don't like hearing that. Reminds me to bring my QSC k8.2 as a backup! Please keep us posted as to what the issue ended up being.
Eh, every company has units that go out for sale that are defective. It happens. Parts fail. I'd get it serviced for peace of mind, but I wouldn't worry too much beyond that.

Always good to have a backup. I've been using a Line 6 L3T and a Yorkville NX720P for front of house, and a Line 6 L2T as a floor monitor. If the L3T went down, I'd go without a monitor. If the sub blew, I'd manage without it.

How much backup I bring depends on how important the gig is. Weddings are pretty important to the bride, groom, and families so I bring backups or work arounds for EVERYTHING.

A typical bar gig, I bring enough to make it work if something major goes down. My speakers each have a two channel mixer with mid sweeps and reverb on the side which can "link" together to mix 4 channels if my mixer were to go down.

I'm not going to lose my mind over a few dollars, I'm more worried about my reputation as a professional. Working equipment and happy customers are both a must!
Old 10-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Eh, every company has units that go out for sale that are defective. It happens. Parts fail. I'd get it serviced for peace of mind, but I wouldn't worry too much beyond that.

Always good to have a backup. I've been using a Line 6 L3T and a Yorkville NX720P for front of house, and a Line 6 L2T as a floor monitor. If the L3T went down, I'd go without a monitor. If the sub blew, I'd manage without it.

How much backup I bring depends on how important the gig is. Weddings are pretty important to the bride, groom, and families so I bring backups or work arounds for EVERYTHING.

A typical bar gig, I bring enough to make it work if something major goes down. My speakers each have a two channel mixer with mid sweeps and reverb on the side which can "link" together to mix 4 channels if my mixer were to go down.

I'm not going to lose my mind over a few dollars, I'm more worried about my reputation as a professional. Working equipment and happy customers are both a must!
I TOTALLY agree with all of this. Along with two guitars, in my car I carry (2) JBL PRX710 speakers, Schertler Jam 400, Bose T1 mixer, Allen and Heath ZED10FX mixer, and twice as many cables as I need. I can easily cover gigs up to a 300 people. Anything bigger and I carry a different rig to the gig which is already loaded in a bigger vehicle. I even have a back up pedal board (Digitech RP360XP) just in case my pedalboard goes down (Grace Alix, Bloomery Volume Pedal, Boss TU-3 Wazakraft tuner, and Keeley Workstation.) Additionally I have a back Beta 87 vocal mic, clip in sound hole pickup (Dimarzio Angel), and extra iPad with all my setlists and break music on it. To me gigging is a business, and my clients aren't going to be shorted because something breaks at a gig. And the one thing I've learned in my last 20 years of gigging fulltime is, everything breaks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification