The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Default Refinish/Paint a CF Guitar?

Anyone tried to refinish/paint a CF guitar? Thinking it might be interesting to have a sunburst finish on a CF and wondering how easy or difficult it might be.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

It's a lot of work. But interesting. First you have to get all the strings out of the way, and then you should lightly sand the area to be painted. And then you should mask off what you do not want to be sprayed. And then you have to pick the right paint. Generally, as I understand it, any epoxy paint will do. Spray painting is an art. You don't want runs or sags. If you pursue this project, I'd be really interested in reportage.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM

I wouldn't actually tackle it myself, potentially get someone who is talented with an airgun (sprays cars, an artist, who knows). Just thinking about the potential and curious if anyone has tried this (or had it done for them).
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I wouldn't actually tackle it myself, potentially get someone who is talented with an airgun (sprays cars, an artist, who knows). Just thinking about the potential and curious if anyone has tried this (or had it done for them).
Imo, anyone talented with a real good reputation in airbrushing should know how to properly prep and detail a cf platform. In the right hands, I'm sure the outcome could be waaay cool.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:31 PM

Interesting concept. I wonder how CF would react to some of the solvents used in paint.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:17 PM

I doubt that a reaction would be an issue. As I understand it, the bodies are finished with automotive clear-coat. Still if I wanted a burst finish on a CF guitar (not for me thanks) it would be best to simply buy it that way. Anybody who does custom paint work on motorcycles should be able to handle it.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Anyone tried to refinish/paint a CF guitar? Thinking it might be interesting to have a sunburst finish on a CF and wondering how easy or difficult it might be.
If you know how to use a spray gun, than applying a new finish to a CF guitar should not be a problem, doing a burst finish is another matter all together. I used to own a custom furniture business, so I've done quite of bit of finishing, so I've been thinking about a camo finish on a Rainsong Parlor, but a burst is a very different thing.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Imo, anyone talented with a real good reputation in airbrushing should know how to properly prep and detail a cf platform. In the right hands, I'm sure the outcome could be waaay cool.
I'm an occasional NHRA bracket racer, and I've seen some incredible work done on the CF body parts some of the high-buck cars are running; given a clear photo any one of the better (read more expensive, and rightly) guys should be able to do an authentic '30s burst with no problem, or even finish your guitar to look like century-old Adi/Braz with gennie ivory binding - could be a real eye-popper on a Rainsong jumbo...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 AM

Possibilities abound! I'll need to do some research about local airbrush artists (the motorcycle guys suggestion is a good starting place).
Old 01-08-2017, 01:40 PM

I was surprised at the sound quality from a CF guitar, because I never thought it would work. Now, I am curious if the paint will deaden or mute the sound. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
I was surprised at the sound quality from a CF guitar, because I never thought it would work. Now, I am curious if the paint will deaden or mute the sound. Any thoughts?
I think it might depend on the original finish. A RAW finish such as CA has used is an example of a low profile finish which should allow for a talented airbrush artist to apply a finish over top with minimal, if any, impact on sound. Applying the same over a painted or heavier gloss coated guitar might have some adverse impact on sound.....but would it be noticeable?
Old 01-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Heavy paint can dampen the sound. A dozen or so years ago, the big store in Anchorage had two metal flake painted small-bodied Rainsongs. I don't remember which model specifically, but probably a thin OM. Plugged in they were fine, but acoustically there wasn't much there. Those two guitars sat in that shop for ten years, despite major price cuts. Finally the maroon metal flake sold, but the silver one was still there at my last visit about two years ago.

If you were touring and wanted a durable CF guitar to always plug in, it would have been ok. Some of the issue may have been the small / thin body. But that obviously heavy coat of paint also hurt the tone quite a bit. Less finish is more.....
Old 01-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

I would think of those two guitars as collectors items. In my experience, all Rainsong guitars plug in nicely. As already noted, these would be excellent for all plug-in gigs. They are also unique.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber