The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-03-2022, 07:56 AM

Default Thumb and middle finger only?

So, I have found that I'm primarily only using my thumb and middle finger to fingerpick. I have really long fingers and using those two fingers seem to be a little more comfortable....Does anyone else only use thumb and middle finger?
Old 05-03-2022, 09:24 AM

In fingerstyle music it happens quite often that a bass note and two melody notes are played simultaneously. But that is tricky if you're only using two fingers.
Although many people don't use their ring finger and little finger, not using the index finger seems quite unusual to me.
Also, for fast fragments where you would only need to play a bass note and one melody note simultaneously, you might want to alternate between the index finger and middle finger as this probably makes it much easier to play.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I use first, second and third. But the second finger gets used the most. It is not a conscious thing anymore. As Roy Bookbinder says, whichever one gets there first

I see nothing wrong with thumb and one, whichever one suits you. A lot of the greats did it that way. But it might not work for all styles, as Martijn pointed out above.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesguy63 View Post
So, I have found that I'm primarily only using my thumb and middle finger to fingerpick..... Does anyone else only use thumb and middle finger?
In large part, yes, but I include the index finger along with, at the same time, as the middle finger, at some points. I can pick with a pattern of all three independently, but.... I don't know -- it seems a little monotonous, and I don't know where to break the monotony....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-06-2022, 06:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
So, I have found that I'm primarily only using my thumb and middle finger to fingerpick. I have really long fingers and using those two fingers seem to be a little more comfortable....Does anyone else only use thumb and middle finger?
No. It's very rarely going to be a preferred method, and the fact that you have long fingers really has nothing to do with it.

At the moment you're obviously satisfied with what you're able to accomplish using thumb + 1, and if you're into Doc Watson or Merle Travis you actually may be satisfied long term.

They primarily used thumb & index, and really well I might add.

My vague sense is that you're using the middle instead of the index because it's got 'more reach', obviously, but without seeing you actually play I can't form any sort of informed opinion.

You'll go on using your current technique until such time that there's a sound you want to make that can't be done with only a 2-note pinch, and then you'll have to make a decision.

If your ears don't force the issue, then nothing will.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-07-2022, 05:36 AM

When I started fingerpicking I used my thumb and middle finger. It worked and I was comfortable doing it. Later, when I started learning to play Scruggs-style banjo, I needed to use my thumb and two fingers for the rolls that are an integral part of that playing style. As I developed that thumb + 2 technique on banjo, I simply incorporated that into my guitar playing as well. In the end I'm glad I learned the thumb + 2 technique. It's a bit more versatile method and allowed me to expand and improve my playing on guitar.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I'm much the same. I tend to use middle and ring, but middle is my primary one. There's a whole lot of songs I can play with thumb and middle only.
For me, my right hand position when I was teaching myself just meant the middle finger was the one that reached the strings most easily - because it's longer than the index! Ring then works best in support, when a second one is needed.
The index is 3rd on the list, usually only when I need a 3rd finger, e.g. to pick chords.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

The Carter scratch.

"Maybelle helped create the group's unique sound with her innovative style of guitar playing, using her thumb to play melody on the bass strings, and her index finger to fill out the rhythm. Her technique, sometimes known as the Carter Scratch."

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-07-2022, 12:23 PM

Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 05-08-2022, 11:21 AM

Just my opinion - more tools are better than less tools. More knowledge is better than less. More skill is better than less. Options are better than limitations, especially self-imposed limitations.

There will always be exceptions - players who demonstrate skill well above average using methods contrary to most of the accepted methods or in spite of real or self-imposed limitations. That's what makes them exceptional. Most of us aren't exceptional.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write