The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-28-2022, 04:25 PM

Default A site dedicated to the late Julian Bream

For anyone who hasn't seen it:http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/home.html

It looks like the kind-of biography of Bream 'A Life on the Road' has been reissued, in paperback; it's a wonderful book, with some great photos.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that site link Carey. New to me! No surprise that he has such devoted fans.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-01-2022, 12:40 PM

You bet. I noticed that that site has quite a bit of biographical info that I hadn't seen before, and yes, when it comes to Bream, I admit to being
a total fanboy.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:46 AM

Default Lots of information there…

…including a lot of detail around the instruments he played. Definitely had a penchant for Hauser style guitars along with his 1973 Romanillos.

Julian Bream has been one of my greatest influences as a musician and a wonderful ambassador for both the classical guitar and lute.

On a side note, I’ve been listening to a lot of Narciso Yepes recordings recently, looking for inspiration on my latest build: an interpretation of his famous 10-string Ramirez. I’d previously been guilty of thinking Yepes a little too idiosyncratic as a player, but listening to the 20 CD boxed set of all his solo recordings with Deutsche Grammaphon has changed that. There are parallels between Yepes and Bream. Both also played lute and recorded a wide range of baroque works. Whilst very different players in many respects they are both able to conjure tremendous variation in tone. Two wonderful musicians who developed both the instrument and repertoire.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:45 PM

You are welcome Nik, and thanks for your post. When I first started playing CG
I listened to Yepes quite a bit; I think the two LPs were called 'World of the Spanish Guitar', Vol 1 and 2. I remember them being good, and need to dig them out again.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
For anyone who hasn't seen it:http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/home.html

It looks like the kind-of biography of Bream 'A Life on the Road' has been reissued, in paperback; it's a wonderful book, with some great photos.
Thank you for this great information! I was able to get a copy of this fascinating book. I was fortunate to see Julian perform live. He was playing the lute more though and had an ensemble with him.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Indeed - I loved reading this. A real close-up of life as one of the world's best known classical performers.

I loved the bit about him always insisting on cash and how he once played a concert with his foot elevated, not by a stool, but by his guitar case so brimming with cash that he could barely close it!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-06-2022, 01:44 PM

To have seen Bream live must've been great, and I sure wish I had.
I agree that the stories in the book definitely give you a sense of the
man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical