The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-01-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t looked at the overall PDF but have seen those bowing symbols used to indicate pick use. In other words, down pick and up pick. From the visible snippet it’s happening in a dampened percussive area.

That video is different than the Jerry’s Guitar Bar (which is paid, but I find his tutorials and especially the accompanying lead sheets worth the six or seven bucks).

How is the learning process coming along?

A nice one of his that’s not too hard (after the intro) is Over the Hill. Especially if you have a friend playing mandolin.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
A much later performance here, with Kathy Mattea, Jerry Douglas, and Danny Thompson, from the ‘Transatlantic Sessions’ series of BBC TV programmes. I never tire of seeing everyone’s obvious enjoyment during the song, and John’s show of joy at the end…RIP, great man.

https://youtu.be/sBPTuAl2Qyk
One of my favorite songs, and this recording is a master class on making magic.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I do not know what these symbols that are in-between the treble and bass clef mean.
Attachment 73707

If you know, or anyone else reading this, knows what those symbols are meant to indicate, please let me know. They are the same symbols you see when bowing a cello. In cello notation, the first symbol means "down bow", and the second symbol means "up bow."
Down stroke, up stroke
Old 05-03-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
Presumably you have the music from the jm site https://johnmartyn.com/wp-content/up...-Never-Tab.pdf
Ouch! What awful tab! It gives fret numbers counted from the nut, not from the capo. Anyone else find that totally counter-intuitive?

It's not even accurate. The notes are good enough, but not the positions. You can tell those first two positions are wrong from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc (Less importantly: he's tuned down a half-step and has capo on 4, so it sounds a half-step higher than drop D with capo on 2.)

You might get a good enough performance of the song from that tab (and I'm sure Martyn himself wouldn't have been too fussy about how you actually play it!). Personally, I'd like to play it how he played it to start with - or get as close as I can - and then develop my own treatment.

FWIW, I transcribed it myself some years ago, but I probably need to check it over. Anyone here is welcome to it, once I've done that....
Old 05-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Jon for checking out the tab. When you check the tab you transcribed, I'd like to see it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-03-2022, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Frank. Makes sense.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write