The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-21-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Marantz

Hi Group,
Hoping some audiophiles may be able to shed light on this. I've always had decent, consumer grade home audio gear for listening, starting with my 80s Technics SA receiver and SL-D2 tt. I still have my vintage gear in the basement studio, but am looking for something upstairs. Ordered some mid-level Klipsch floor speakers, and was interested in a Marantz NR-1200

My question is: is it worth spending 3x what a quality consumer AV-receiver would cost to get a Marantz? (the Marantz entry level is around $800). I know Marantz is a quality product (at least their vintage gear) . Is their new gear, specifically the entry level models, still high quality worth the jingle, or is it like so much else nowadays that the branding commands a premium price for an average piece of gear?

thanks,
Dave
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-29-2022, 04:49 PM

I am an audioholic so my opinion is likely to be jaundiced. I just bought a Marantz avr and am unable to hear any difference between it and a Denon or Yamaha. Saul Marantz has been gone for awhile so as far as I can tell, Marantz has been bought out by another huge electronics conglomerate. I think that Marantz is living off its reputation of many years ago. I have never found any differences in their products sonically, but they have unique aesthetics. I now listen with hearing aids so my reflections may be suspect.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got a set of Orb speakers and a small Yamaha subwoofer for my 5.1 setup in my family room - where pretty much all TV watching is done in our house.

I’ve had a Denon receiver driving this, which I replaced with a Marantz when the Denon’s HDMI inputs started failing. I then replaced it with a Sony, when it became apparent that the Denon did not support the latest audio and video protocols. Also, everything else (TV, BD player) is Sony, so some remote consolidation occurred.

I can’t hear any difference throughout this succession of receivers - and the Sony we currently use is the least expensive of the three.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-29-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

In the 1950's I grew up listening to music using Marantz Amplifiers and other high-end gear. It was glorious. Luxman is my current integrated amplifier and it's great. To buy something these days I would first rely on researching gear reviews on the internet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 04-29-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

Two friends and I all have Marantz receivers dating from the mid-'70s. They sound great. Mine is currently set up for its tuner capabilities only as I have better pre and power amps but I used it before I had those. You can get great "vintage" equipment these days if you are into it and, depending on where you live, these days there are even people who work on such equipment again - not unlike the situation with guitars. At the prices you are contemplating, I wouldn't rule out the vintage route if you have a reliable source. Plus, the original (non-LED) Marantz blue lights - worth the price of admission
Old 04-30-2022, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Two friends and I all have Marantz receivers dating from the mid-'70s. They sound great. Mine is currently set up for its tuner capabilities only as I have better pre and power amps but I used it before I had those. You can get great "vintage" equipment these days if you are into it and, depending on where you live, these days there are even people who work on such equipment again - not unlike the situation with guitars. At the prices you are contemplating, I wouldn't rule out the vintage route if you have a reliable source. Plus, the original (non-LED) Marantz blue lights - worth the price of admission
Yes, I wavered back and forth 100x on modern technology vs time-honored vintage. For now, I went modern (have a vintage Technics SA RECEIVER and SL-D2 tt.). But yes, a vintage blue light may come about someday…

Thanks
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN