The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-25-2022, 04:31 PM

Default K Yairi Y505P information

I have owned two 80s steel string Alvarez Yairi guitars in the past. I’ve never owned a classical guitar and came across this. Can anyone here tell me a little about the model? It’s a K. Yairi , 1981 Y505P. It sounds amazing with great resonance and low end. Sounds and plays like a high end model but I honestly have no idea.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Here's one on Reverb. I can say it doesn't look at all like the spec sheet for a CY 130. They had figured rosewood (specific species is unclear) back & sides and the rosette was much more elaborate than the one pictured on Reverb. All the K.Yairi's from the CY series (I have 4) were flashier looking than this one. I have no idea what the quality of it is but I've worked hard at understanding the various K. Yairi models & I can't fine any good info on it. Hey, if it sounds good it IS good...In the California San Francisco craigslist market a CY 130 would be around $600 to $800. Photos would help...

"This K. Yairi Y-505P is—like the equivalent Alvarez-Yairi CY-130"https://reverb.com/item/27511624-k-y...p-1980-natural
Old 01-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

K Yairi is a respected maker in Japan. Their custom guitars are great. Dominic Miller plays a few of his ... the CYTME. I'm getting one made by them right now! K Yairi himself passed away in 2014, but his company makes a wide range of instruments, and has several master luthiers for custom builds.
Like the previous comment, if it plays great, sounds good, and you like the esthetic, go for it!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucities View Post
I have owned two 80s steel string Alvarez Yairi guitars in the past. I’ve never owned a classical guitar and came across this. Can anyone here tell me a little about the model? It’s a K. Yairi , 1981 Y505P. It sounds amazing with great resonance and low end. Sounds and plays like a high end model but I honestly have no idea.
Hi Nucities, welcome to the forum! I own and play a K. Yairi CY130 classical built in 1978, and can attest to its quality and sound. I've owned it for its entire 44 year life. Kazuo Yairi instruments are among the most respected "factory" guitars on the planet and it's hard to go wrong.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-27-2022, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the link to the one on Reverb. It took me a while to figure out how to post post images. I don't think it looks that much like the one for sale.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-08-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Deleted private info.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:42 PM

Close up on the sound hole detailing

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-08-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:50 PM

...thanks for the welcome folks. I was on here a few years ago and just found my way back

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-08-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:48 PM

Here's the extent of my knowledge about K. Yairi models. I'm obviously missing
info on a Y505...unless it's related to the YC-50. It looks like a mid-range model given the relatively plain grain on the back & sides & overall modest appearance. I'm pretty sure it's well below a CY130 in grade. That would impact the price but not it's sound quality as any of the K.Yairi's can be exceptional.

"K Yairi classical guitars are fairly confusing in the line up,
partly because he used different model naming methods under different situations.

In Japan, his classical models are:
YC-30, YC-40, YC-50 YC-80, YC-90, YC-100 and YC-150

In USA when selling under his own labels, the models are:
CY116, CY117, CY118, CY120, CY125, CY130, CY135 and CY140

In USA under the Alvarez label, his models are:
5047, 5048, 5049, 5050, 5051, 5017, 5027, 5036 and 5037

Generally,
Lower model number = lower price
Higher model number = higher price
Except under the Alvarez labels, pricing jumped around with model 5037 as the top model."
Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM

Thanks for that overview. It’s very tough to reference these model numbers. Across the K. Yairi, Alvarez Yairi lines. This one does have a sticker that shows it was made/sold for the Asian/European market.

I had also seen a couple references online that suggested it was the equivalent of the CY-130. I love it’s playability and sound regardless. I’m kind of a research/history nerd. I just like learning about the various models etc.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I’m kind of a research/history nerd. I just like learning about the various models etc.
If you can find further info on Yairi model #s please share them here. It's weird how hard it is to figure it out.
I can say the CY USA series have a much flashier appearance than your example, all of mine & those I've seen on line have figured back & sides - even the CY-116 - the most basic model has burled mahogany back & sides. The style contrasts with the Takamine's of the same era which are more conventional & conservative in appearance. Maybe the Asian market valued a conservative appearance? I'd love to find out where your Y505 stands in the line up...
Old 03-08-2022, 03:47 PM

I was able to learn a little more. So this series was made mainly, for the asian markets. These were Yairi's take on a Torres style guitar made with ensemble players in mind. These were P = prime (regular), A = alto, S = soprano, B = bass and CB = contrabass models. All these models were made under Saburo Nogami’s supervision. Saburo Nogami was Masaru Kohno’s first apprentice. He later became an independent luthier and legend on his own.

Although I haven't seen many of these for sale, there is a Y505P currently for sale on Reverb for $1200. This information is echoed in that listing.

I also learned that Nogomi and Yairi were apparently close friends. I did note that the one I found (pictured above) has a Saburo Nogomi label inside the soundhole, somehow I looked right past that initially.

Anyway I love learning about these older instruments. If anyone has other models from this series or more information please share here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical