The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM

I've had the L&M course for several years, and enjoy it immensely. I've learned a few of Justin's as well.
My take is that one gives you the proverbial fish, and the other teaches you to fish.
I hope I'm not selling Justin short, because he's an excellent teacher. My interaction with his teaching has been limited to learning one song at a time. If there are more offerings that I missed, then my argument goes out the window.
But take advantage of both. With L&M, the songs are public domain, so they're not very interesting for playing over and over. Justin's are definitely along the lines of songs you can use.
I'm doing the Fingerstyle course from L&M as well. It starts out very tough and doesn't let up! I'm hoping and betting it will make learning specific songs from folks like Justin easier.
I have both bookmarked on my pc.
Bob
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM

naccoachbob, there is much, much more to Justin's course than teaching you songs. You need to explore the site at justinguitar.com. He definitely teaches you how to fish. In fact, he makes a point of telling you to "suss" out the songs you want to play on your own, based on what he teaches.
Ear training, a major pain in the butt , is a big part of his instruction.

I always recommend Justin because he's free, he's a good teacher, he's fun, and he's a good human.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Curmudgeon

I have tried both and I would recommend Justin's course for beginners. Much more fun and laid back style. Learn and Master is also a great course but IMO is better suited to those who have picked up basic chords and strumming and are looking to learn standard notation. All that being said, there is no substitute for lessons with a live instructor.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM

ok i saw his page, do the dvds come with the book and i need the right link
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz3 View Post
ok i saw his page, do the dvds come with the book and i need the right link
The DVDs and books are separate (except if you buy the package), BUT you don't need to buy anything: all the videos are online on YouTube. They are in the various pages of http://justinguitar.com. For instance, on the Beginner's Course page just scroll down to the lists of lessons: BC-101, BC-111, etc. Each lesson listed is a link to a page with that YouTube video and some additional text.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Something to consider may be the amount of practice material you get with either course. There is a lot of reinforcement with L&MG. Is there very much with Justin's? I do not know.

I think L&MG is great for a progressive, structured course with lots of practice material laid out for you. Justin's would probably be good for learning particular skills and perhaps interspersed with the L&MG course.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write