The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2020, 08:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

I bet it’s a string winder and you are now going to make McKnight strings to accompany your instruments.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:17 AM

Curing chamber rotating the parts for even illumination and uniform curing
Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 AM

I think it is a puppet amphitheater for your new career of being a puppeteer. You were going to break the news to everyone after the project is completed. I hear there is an emerging market of custom guitars for puppets nowadays. 😁
Old 07-25-2020, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I bet it’s a string winder and you are now going to make McKnight strings to accompany your instruments.
Good guess, great idea but sorry your wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Curing chamber rotating the parts for even illumination and uniform curing
You are getting warm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapdog View Post
I think it is a puppet amphitheater for your new career of being a puppeteer. You were going to break the news to everyone after the project is completed. I hear there is an emerging market of custom guitars for puppets nowadays. 😁
Another great idea to fill my vast amounts of idle time ... or not.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
A couple folks have gotten warm but nobody has given an answer that's "roasting over the fire" hot, just yet. Put those thinking caps on ya'll -- Tim told me he'll be supplying the winner with a brand new car !!!
There's something tells me this is a great big clue, I can't get close enough though. My only other idea is for a finishing chamber that evenly rotates the piece to ensure even application, but with a non curricular piece I think you would get issues at edges so I don't think it's right
Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
There's something tells me this is a great big clue, I can't get close enough though. My only other idea is for a finishing chamber that evenly rotates the piece to ensure even application, but with a non curricular piece I think you would get issues at edges so I don't think it's right
You are VERY close ... smokin’ hot.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
You are VERY close ... smokin’ hot.
I love a puzzle but this one has me beaten. I just don't know enough about making guitars. The only application that I can think that would benefit from greater art the edges and less in the middle would be spraying a burst. Feels like I'm going in the wrong direction with that though. Looking forward to hearing the answer
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Rotating a guitar neck while spraying it with varnish to prevent runs. Something like what Bruce Petros does
Old 07-27-2020, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Rotating a guitar neck while spraying it with varnish to prevent runs. Something like what Bruce Petros does
Ladies and gentleman ... we have a WINNER!!!! Congrats John.

Actually this "rotisserie" machine will pull double duty as it rotates both a neck and body after spraying it with oil Varnish, with high hopes that it will prevent runs. My first [failed] attempt used a BBQ rotisserie motor but it was so under powered it could barely rotate a neck but stalled when I tried to add the body to it.

I have long been an admirer of an oil varnish finish but quite frankly I have struggled spraying varnish without the occasional run. Previously my success rate has been ~ 50%. Although one can brush apply varnish with some success my skills with a brush are minimal at best.

I do want to openly share the credit with Simon Fay and Burton LeGeyt for inspiring me to build this machine after they so generously shared pictures of their machines. Thanks guys for lending your support.

I hope to post updated photos of the finished project in the coming days.

Thanks to all of you who have played along in our guessing game. John,
you can expect a "small" prize in your mailbox next week. I was going to mail that shiny red F-150 but couldn't find an first class envelope large enough
Old 07-30-2020, 09:01 AM

It's good to know the answer! After the "smokin hot" comments I was just getting ready to enter "Torrifaction machine" as a guess...

I wonder if spraying in zero gravity would work? Sounds like a good (but very expensive...) science experiment for the International Space Station folks.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's good to know the answer! After the "smokin hot" comments I was just getting ready to enter "Torrifaction machine" as a guess...

I wonder if spraying in zero gravity would work? Sounds like a good (but very expensive...) science experiment for the International Space Station folks.
Well if I was going to build a torrefaction kiln then my bank account would need 7 or 8 more zeros at the end of my savings balance column. Now a zero gravity spray booth sounds really intriguing.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

I finally got my new gear motor and mounted it inside my rotisserie.

These are the handles which bolt onto two necks and two bodies. They will slip over the double ended output shaft so I can rotate a neck and body at the same time:

Here is a body mounted onto the left side.

And the neck on the right:

I shot a short video but my image hosting site doesn't allow me to upload videos. Any suggestions for a free and easy to use hosting site for videos?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Ladies and gentleman ... we have a WINNER!!!! Congrats John.

Actually this "rotisserie" machine will pull double duty as it rotates both a neck and body after spraying it with oil Varnish, with high hopes that it will prevent runs. My first [failed] attempt used a BBQ rotisserie motor but it was so under powered it could barely rotate a neck but stalled when I tried to add the body to it.

I have long been an admirer of an oil varnish finish but quite frankly I have struggled spraying varnish without the occasional run. Previously my success rate has been ~ 50%. Although one can brush apply varnish with some success my skills with a brush are minimal at best.

I do want to openly share the credit with Simon Fay and Burton LeGeyt for inspiring me to build this machine after they so generously shared pictures of their machines. Thanks guys for lending your support.

I hope to post updated photos of the finished project in the coming days.

Thanks to all of you who have played along in our guessing game. John,
you can expect a "small" prize in your mailbox next week. I was going to mail that shiny red F-150 but couldn't find an first class envelope large enough
And a big Thank You for the prize is in order. Tim really does come through as promised. I got a pick holder key fob with Mc Knight guitars embellished in the leather pocket that holds the pick. Really cool. I will use it if he will wear a Kinnaird guitars t-shirt
Old 08-04-2020, 06:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’d like to know how the electrical work. Give us specifics! Rpm, controls, motor etc.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 AM

Interesting. I hope it works things out and you don't end up nicknaming it "Chuck!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop