The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations Bob and Bruce! I'm pleased to report the guitar looks as good here on the AGF as it does on Facebook. And what a beautiful set of Myrtle--wow!

Steve K

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Congratulations Bob and Bruce! I'm pleased to report the guitar looks as good here on the AGF as it does on Facebook. And what a beautiful set of Myrtle--wow!

Steve K
And you would know Steve . You’ve built some stunners in Myrtle...
Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although I have more Tonewood than I will ever use . . . By something like 20 time, most likely . . . I have just bought some more Myrtle. I’d really like to see if my next Myrtle guitar comes out as well as this last one.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 AM

Congrats Bob! What a beautiful guitar. I'd love to get a chance to play it someday
Old 07-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Although I have more Tonewood than I will ever use . . . By something like 20 time, most likely . . . I have just bought some more Myrtle. I’d really like to see if my next Myrtle guitar comes out as well as this last one.
Glad to hear that you went back to the Myrtle "wood well" (how could you not? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Congrats Bob! What a beautiful guitar. I'd love to get a chance to play it someday
Thanks Burton...You will get a chance next year I hope at one the the shows (glass half full...)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Next Myrtle:

Old 07-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Default BRUCE SEXAUER: FT-000-C [Red Spruce | Oregon Myrtle]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Next Myrtle:

I just wanted to follow up this build thread after a solid week of playing the guitar. This is a magically FANTASTIC guitar in every respect. In fact, it is on the “short list” of being one of the best guitars I have ever played. I don’t throw words like that around lightly and I have played some fine examples of 1930s Martins and guitars by almost every top luthier currently building.

3A52183A-0149-420F-90DC-BD1D40352108.jpg

I took the guitar with me on Friday when I went to pick up one of my guitars that was being repaired during the pandemic by a luthier friend of mine who is both a player and has been building custom instruments for 25+ years. He played it for a few minutes and then I saw him begin to carefully examine and tap the guitar and look in the sound hole. He shook his head as in disbelief and said “this is as good as it gets Bob” (even when played outside due to the pandemic!).

08C86970-D685-4594-9FDF-D4F2BC67B15A.jpg

Bruce at 73-years old is currently producing some of the best instruments to ever come off his bench. There is honestly nothing secret about what he does. He discloses his process, does not claim “alchemy”, nor hide what is going on “under the hood”. The guitar at this point is a very well evolved instrument. Bruce honors these traditions and makes no attempt to radically upend them, but he thoughtfully evolves them. The “magic” is from his innate understanding his client’s playing goals, use of proven design traditions, use of the best woods, superior joinery, application of a thin finish, his insights as a player and intuition/artistry guiding his craft.

I would encourage anyone reading this who has ever considered getting a guitar from Bruce, not to hesitate and to place an order for YOUR guitar before he decides to hang up his chisels. While there may be no date on this, time continues to march forward. While he is a familiar voice here on AGF, his new work will not be available forever aside from the second hand market.

KUDOS to Bruce...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-26-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Amen, brother -
Old 07-26-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Bob, I felt strongly your guitar had this potential when I played it. I felt it had greatness in it, and magic. I would have traded my little Lotus for it on the spot!
Congrats on experiencing it growing into its full potential. Obviously, tastes are personal, and this guitar might not fit everyone’s target sound. I have myself shrugged at a couple guitars others thought were wonderful, I know my favorites would not be for everyone here But, objectively, this is a truly outstanding guitar. Exceptional.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:14 PM

I’m sure it sounds as good or even better than it looks, but that myrtlewood back is quite astounding! Bruce is at the top of his game.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
I’m sure it sounds as good or even better than it looks, but that myrtlewood back is quite astounding! Bruce is at the top of his game.
What a splendid axe and what a fine review as well. That is about as pretty as a guitar gets, in my not so humble opinion!!!

Congratulations and way to go Bruce.

Stay vigilant, stay well, have fun playing guitar

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Amen, brother -
Thanks Tad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Bob, I felt strongly your guitar had this potential when I played it. I felt it had greatness in it, and magic. I would have traded my little Lotus for it on the spot!
Congrats on experiencing it growing into its full potential. Obviously, tastes are personal, and this guitar might not fit everyone’s target sound. I have myself shrugged at a couple guitars others thought were wonderful, I know my favorites would not be for everyone here But, objectively, this is a truly outstanding guitar. Exceptional.
Thanks Jamie. It is still a relative baby and I am sure that it will continue to develop across the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Thanks . There actually is a chayoant depth to the figure that is difficult to come though in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
What a splendid axe and what a fine review as well. That is about as pretty as a guitar gets, in my not so humble opinion!!!

Congratulations and way to go Bruce.

Stay vigilant, stay well, have fun playing guitar

Paul
Thanks Paul...
Old 07-27-2020, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Since “chatoyance” is the quality of a 2 dimensional surface appearing three dimensional through manipulating light, it is not only difficult to see in a photograph, it is impossible! We imagine we can see it because we have had experience that allows us to project it. Amazing tool, the mind. Unless your mind is A lot better than mine, you really have to see this Myrtle to know how good it looks.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-30-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:40 PM

Impossible because it needs to be moved some to be observed. You can see it when the wood is not moving, but I find it harder.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop