The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I guess I learned the kids are liabilities, not assets. Go figure.

Anyway, the Schoenberg is now in my office instead of Schoenberg.
Nice one. Lovely looking work by Howard. I like how the sound and feel grabbed you, not really mentioning the look to us in your opening post. Methinks you are going to have this one a long time.

When you are ready give us a tune.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Speaking as a very happy Klepper guitar owner, I'm not surprised that the guitar Howard built impressed you, Juston. My Klepper KJ is a world class instrument.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Awesome! I too am a proud owner of one of Howard's guitars and know you must be feeling great!

Keep the bike and kids btw...

Last edited by jmat; 11-09-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I guess I learned the kids are liabilities, not assets. Go figure.

Anyway, the Schoenberg is now in my office instead of Schoenberg.
On ya J!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I'll take one in maple, one in koa and the one pictured please. Maybe a rosewood too!
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 11-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, Howard's guitars have really caught my attention. He built an "OM-33" that I also played at Schoenberg that I thought was phenomenal. There's also a "00+" at Schoenberg that is exceptional. But this 000-12 grabbed my attention immediately. I appear to be predisposed toward mahogany guitars . . . what I really like about this guitar is that it has more depth to the bass than a typical OM-sized instrument (it's deeper), but the highs are still very penetrating and clear. It has the mid-range focus that I like from mahogany guitars, but it also has some of the high-end sparkle that I usually attribute to rosewood.

I almost always like Schoenberg's house brand, but this one really stood out. The cutaway is functionally very important to me for a 12 fret guitar, and I found this one to be the perfect combination of playability and extraordinary tone. There's also something very satisfying about being able to pick up a guitar, play it, and know immediately that it has the goods. I have had absolutely wonderful experiences with my Baranik commissions - no regrets whatsoever. I have found that, for me at least, the experience with Mike is not the norm, unfortunately. Having access to Schoenberg and his wonderful collection of guitars is a real treat.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

This guitar is a real beauty - great that you went for it. Both Howard and Eric are first rate!

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 PM

Congrats on another AWESOME guitar. The figuring of the mahogany is drool inducing!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

that guitar just oozes cool!

very nice, very different.

love to hear something on it when you get a chance, as others would too I bet.

the other neat thing of this situation is being able to play it before buying.

good catch J

d
Old 11-11-2014, 10:52 AM

I think "Sunflower River Blues" would sound great on it...congratulations, Juston!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Ha ha, Billy Boy. You remember my "go to" song in open C! I've been playing it mostly in standard tuning since the action is set low (for me anyway). I'm going to get some shims so I can play in drop tuning as well, but I will probably keep this guitar in standard tuning for the most part. It's actually a nice change of pace to be able to play with really low action - it just prevents me from playing my drop C songs.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 AM

I'm completely in love with the burst on this guitar!!! Beautiful work as usual Howard!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 AM

I knew you couldnt resist haha...

Grats bro, it really looks awesome, im sure it sounds great
Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't resist posting again. I've been playing this wonderful guitar every chance I get. Quite simply, it's a perfect guitar. Or as near to perfect as I've ever seen. It's light, ultra-responsive, has a beautiful, full bass, has great volume and projection, and plays like an absolute dream. I have not been a big fan of V profile necks in the past, but something about the soft V on this neck really works well for me.

I just can't say enough about this guitar. It's always a pleasure to play guitars that respond to a light touch but can also handle my heavy-handed picking style. I really lay into the strings at times, and the headroom is more or less unlimited. With no truss rod, it's a featherweight.

The guitar's voice is so utterly beautiful and satisfying, it's really hard to use any word other than "perfect."

The workmanship, it probably goes without saying, is wonderful. Howard's Style 30 purflings are stunning and classy. Visually, the guitar is in a league of its own, along with the other Martin-inspired guitars Howard has made in the last year (OM-33 and pernambuco OM).

Intonation, setup, fret work, fit and finish - all flawless. It's been an absolute pleasure owning this guitar. I knew within the first few seconds of playing it that I wouldn't be able to resist. It's a great feeling when you bond immediately with an instrument.

Bravo, Howard. This guitar is a masterwork.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, we're coming up on a year since I bought this fantastic guitar from Eric Schoenberg. It continues to be a standard by which I measure Martin-esque guitars. I'm so please with the sound I haven't even bothered to try PB strings on it. It came with 80/20s and I don't want to mess with the sound. I only regret that I don't have Howard's OM-33 to go with it.

A fellow forumite had a chance to play this guitar recently and commissioned a guitar from Howard as a result.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop