The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-23-2020, 04:54 AM

Default Top Bracing, and wood selection

what are the general differences in tone between the different top bracing patterns? are there generalizations that can be made, such as the fan pattern provides more bass, etc? Can the top bracing type be more specific to a certain top wood, so that for Spruce a certain bracing works better than another? What about the back and side wood? Do they factor into the bracing type as much?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the back and side wood has the same percentage of influence on a guitar's sound as the top wood does, say 10 to 15%? As to 5 or 7 strip fan bracings, I'm not aware of sonic differences, I have great guitars in both. What is unanswered for me is the lattice influence. I didn't have a Cordoba C12 lattice for long enough to make careful comparisons. What I do remember is that it sounded like a classical, nothing like a supercharged nomex(?) double top, which I haven't played.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
are there generalizations that can be made, such as the fan pattern provides more bass, etc?
Not in my opinion, no.

There is a general trend that lattice-braced guitars - that often have "double tops" tend towards sounding more lute-like. However, I've played lattice-braced guitars that didn't.

Otherwise, I think the generalities are just that, generalities, as likely to be true as not. I suggest you not buy a specification. Instead, buy an individual instrument, one that you have played and sounds/responds the way you like.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've made only 12 nylon strung guitars (amount my 425 instruments), but I have found it is the same with as Steel Strung guitars: any well distributed bracing system will work well enough and what REALLy matters is integrity of the joinery and the structural relationship between the top and the bracing. I mean how much load is carried by either, and of course no more structure than actually needed however the balance is achieved. Various workable patterns may have different tonal character, but all patterns that cover the bases without going overboard seem to work adequately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical