The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin D Jr on an Airplane

We were flying from Atlanta to Duluth (with a connecting flight in Minneapolis), and I wanted to get my D Jr (in the gig bag) up to the cabin for the summer. This was just 10 days to open the place, get the water running and fish opening day of Walleye season.

I was a bit nervous since this was my first time flying w/ a guitar. I printed this out and took it with me.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

It was Delta all the way. On the first flight, I boarded and asked the flight attendant (with the best smile i could muster) if she would put the Martin in the clothes closet up front. And she said yes, or course. Had it out for me as we departed.

Second plane was a puddle jumper (small). No room overhead of course and a tiny coat closet. There was one empty seat and the flight attendant put it there and strapped 'er in.

I was overjoyed and impressed w/ everyones willingness to accommodate me and my Martin on Delta,.. the Martin's gig bag would have not faired well in the overhead or underbelly of the plane.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Good to hear... glad Delta treated you well. That's always been my experience too. Enjoy Minnesota... wonderful place in the summer!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Kerbie, kinda a funny addition to the tale. We flew up on the afternoon of the 8th, took the puddle jumper to Duluth from MPLS, got there and had to fly back to MPLS, Duluth had a big May snow storm (thundersnow) 10 inches, and the runway hadn't been cleared.

Wait on the ground five hrs back in MPLS until we could try it again. Got in at 11:30pm and had to use my fairly dormant winter driving skills,.. the cabin's back in the woods, had a few big hills w/ unplowed dirt roads,.. but it all worked out.

the view next morning, May 9th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Good to hear... glad Delta treated you well. That's always been my experience too. Enjoy Minnesota... wonderful place in the summer!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful! Summer in Minnesota...

Well, at least the mosquitoes might not be out yet.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Glad it worked out. You are a brave and lucky man. I would never travel with a guitar only in a gig bag.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I figured a hard case would be an issue if I had to use an overhead compartment.

And I don't know if the flight attendant would have been so helpful on the smaller plane w/ a hard case strapped into an empty seat next to a paying passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Glad it worked out. You are a brave and lucky man. I would never travel with a guitar only in a gig bag.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Smile

Taking the Martin on a fishing trip . That’s a great way to spend some time .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion