The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Martin D18 vs Martin DSS-15M

Hey all. I don't have access to the DSS15M here yet. Those who either played or bought, how is the sound different from one to the other? I know one is made in Mexico and the neck joint is different, but what about the woods used? Will they sound similar?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Hey all. I don't have access to the DSS15M here yet. Those who either played or bought, how is the sound different from one to the other? I know one is made in Mexico and the neck joint is different, but what about the woods used? Will they sound similar?

Thanks,

Dan
These two are very different guitars.

The D18 is a Standard series spruce top over a mahogany body . The current version has a 1 3/4" nut width. It uses a traditional dovetail neck joint. It is a square shoulder dreadnought design. It has a full gloss finish.

There are quite a few other differences in specifications. The D18 has has significant upgrades in recent years. The tonal range will be more broad with the D18.

The DSS 15M is a new model guitar, part of the 15 series. It is all mahogany. I am almost certain it is not made in Mexico but In Pennsylvania.
It is a sloped shoulder guitar. It uses a simple dovetail joint for the neck. It has a satin distressed finish. It is braced very differently.

Being all mahogany, it will be more midrange focused in its tone. The body shape will effect the tone as well. This is going to be the biggest difference in my opinion. I say this because we have guitars to make music. All the other differences effect tone but by themselves are not the tone.

There will be about $1000.00 difference in price. The D18 being the more expensive guitar.

If you can, go to Martin's website to compare all the build specifications.

YouTube may give you some idea of the tonal differences between an all mahogany guitar and the spruce top over mahogany.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

I just sold my D18, and I also recently bought a DSS-15m, which is made in Nazareth. I also have a 2009 D15M all mahogany as well. I want compare specs... you can do that on Martins website. I will offer real world “owned them both” perspective.

Conventional wisdom will tell you that the all hog DSS-15m is much darker in tone, and perhaps more quiet than the Sitka topped D18. I found the opposite. The new slope is louder than my D18, and it is not a dark guitar... like for example my D15 is. Shocking. In fact, blindfolded, I would venture many D18 enthusiasts would be surprised. I was.

The other thing to keep in mind... the Martin slopes are BIG guitars. So if you like smaller concert comfort, they are not for you.

Bottom line, the DSS-15m is loud, breaks some “those all hog guitars are a little dark and muted” stereotypes, and punched above it’s weight.

I sold my D18, which I thought an excellent guitar, to a forum member here, and kept the DSS... same tone family.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I think you should also put the DSS-17 in your comparison. I compared the DSS-17 to the D-18 and, for me, the DSS-17 was the winner. I don't know if everyone would agree with me. That's why you have to do your own testing, but to me, the DSS-17 is a killer!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 AM

D-18 for me. Mahogany topped guitars are too dark form me. They sound like they just don't get the top moving when I hear them. All but the GS Mini Mahogany...I don't know how they got that one sounding so good.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I guess my store was wrong when they listed as made in Mexico. Glad to hear its not. When I originally posted, I totally forgot the 18 has a Sitka top...Old age I guess. The larger size wont bother me a bit as that is the size I am, just short of jumbo.
Not in any rush, but definitely keeping it on radar. Have a couple more guitars I;m interested in as well..

Dan
Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Another DSS15 owner here.

I have to agree with Sal...these are monsters in the tone and volume department. I have owned a couple of the standard D15 models, and the difference in tone is striking. The DSS isn’t your typical over-warm, soft mahogany sound at all. Very rich and versatile, and like Sal said, it’s a a big guitar.

I’ve owned many Martins, up to and including a D42, and the tone from this guitar is as satisfying as anything I’ve had before. Martin did these right.

Roger
Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Thanks Roger, appreciate it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion