The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Default One bad note on one string

This is only on the high E string: If I depress it at the 10th fret, I get the note that is at the 11th fret. Only if I press much harder do I get the proper note. Does this mean the 11th is too high in only that spot? (Otherwise the intonation seems very good.) If so, what's the solution?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM

Default Forgot to say...

Visually, it seems that all the frets are tight on the fingerboard--so I think I'd rule that out.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Guest 728

Use a fret rocker (a credit card will work) to determine if the 11th fret has a high spot.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Use a fret rocker (a credit card will work) to determine if the 11th fret has a high spot.
One really doesn't have to: based on the information given, it is a given that the 11th fret is too high compared to the 10th.

Try using the eraser-end of a pencil to press down on the end of the 11th fret. If it moves up and down, the fret can be glued down - or other options that require removing and reinstalling the fret.

If the 11th fret does not move, the 10th fret is lower than the 11th. If this occurred "suddenly", humidity changes might be a contributor, though, unless you have very low action, it would have to be a pretty large change in geometry for the 11th fret to sound when the 10th is fretted. You can sight down the fingerboard looking for high or low spots - specifically if there is a "bump" at the 11th, or a valley at the 10th.

More than likely, the end of the 11th is loose and sticking up just enough. It can be glued down. If the 10th is too low, it can be raised slightly and glued in its elevated position. It requires some tools and skill to do that well.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
One really doesn't have to: based on the information given, it is a given that the 11th fret is too high compared to the 10th.

Try using the eraser-end of a pencil to press down on the end of the 11th fret. If it moves up and down, the fret can be glued down - or other options that require removing and reinstalling the fret.

If the 11th fret does not move, the 10th fret is lower than the 11th. If this occurred "suddenly", humidity changes might be a contributor, though, unless you have very low action, it would have to be a pretty large change in geometry for the 11th fret to sound when the 10th is fretted. You can sight down the fingerboard looking for high or low spots - specifically if there is a "bump" at the 11th, or a valley at the 10th.

More than likely, the end of the 11th is loose and sticking up just enough. It can be glued down. If the 10th is too low, it can be raised slightly and glued in its elevated position. It requires some tools and skill to do that well.
No such thing as simply sanding down the higher fret a little?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therbulus View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Buzz-Off®-Fre.../dp/B003WRG9SK

Too bad it is no longer available. I used something called "Buzz-Off" fret leveling kit. Had steel bars for use as a fret rocker and a piece of wood with a groove to match the fret profile.

By varying the pressure applied, I was able to sand portions of a fret.

You wrap the fine sand paper over the wood form, then restore the finish on the fret with 0000 steel wool after taping the finger board with blue masking tape.

I also have a small triangle file, but didn't have the courage or skill to try using it.

Perhaps the right sized round file could allow you to make a curved slot in a piece of hardwood, and you would have your own tool for the fret.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you should first eliminate a lifted fret as the cause of the problem. If the fret is loose, it can deaden the note played on that fret. I tap on the fret with the edge of a 6" stainless steel ruler. If it sounds a dull 'clank' instead of a sharp 'ping', it is loose. Compare the sound of several frets, and the loose one will be more obvious.
I prefer to do the fret leveling and crowning with files, then final smoothing with progressively finer sandpaper.

Last edited by John Arnold; 04-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It's possible, yes. However, that can lead to simply chasing around which fret is low. If you lower the 11th fret, for example, it might end up low compared to the 12th fret... simply moving the problem.

Before "spot" levelling individual frets, one needs to understand the lay of the surrounding frets so that one doesn't just end up chasing the low fret around. Depending upon the situation, levelling an entire area makes sense. Ideally, the fingerboard is "flat" and is assessed in the process. That gets into having the right tools and applying them with knowledge and skill - not generally something a novice is likely to do.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Buzz-Off®-Fre.../dp/B003WRG9SK

Too bad it is no longer available. I used something called "Buzz-Off" fret leveling kit. Had steel bars for use as a fret rocker and a piece of wood with a groove to match the fret profile.

By varying the pressure applied, I was able to sand portions of a fret.

You wrap the fine sand paper over the wood form, then restore the finish on the fret with 0000 steel wool after taping the finger board with blue masking tape.

I also have a small triangle file, but didn't have the courage or skill to try using it.

Perhaps the right sized round file could allow you to make a curved slot in a piece of hardwood, and you would have your own tool for the fret.
https://www.jsbguitars.com/buzz-off-fret-leveling-kit/

Very interesting and worth the $20 bucks.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 AM

Take it to a qualified Luthier. They will be able to fix it + there could be other minor issues that they can fix. A good setup makes the world go round.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Yes, but you should first eliminate a lifted fret as the cause of the problem. If the fret is loose, it can deaden the note played on that fret. I tap on the fret with the edge of a 6" stainless steel ruler. If it sounds a dull 'clank' instead of a sharp 'ping', it is loose. Compare the sound of several frets, and the loose one will be more obvious.
I prefer to do the fret leveling and crowning with files, then final smoothing with progressively finer sandpaper.
If I don't have the ruler would a butter knife work also?
Old 06-27-2019, 02:51 AM

Interesting...I went to an 11 on top instead of 12 and it helped. Sounds a bit "tinny" but it's the right note with normal pressure.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
If I don't have the ruler would a butter knife work also?
You want something with a guaranteed straight edge. Even a credit card would work.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 AM

I recommend getting a “Fret Rocker” to isolate high or low frets. And, proceed very, very carefully.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:45 AM

I know this is quite a delayed reply as I hadn't seen this thread earlier. The OP didn't say which guitar brand/model it was or how old it is. Slightly high frets are fairly common. I've had one or two high frets on 3 guitars and two basses now, two of them brand new, one Fender electric and two Fender basses and my 814ceDLX- right out of the box (of which was incredulous for a guitar at that price level)! Many guitars warranty the guitars which include level frets.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion