The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pen View Post
Sounds really nice! Have to say, between the two takes, I'm not sure the Trinity mic adds too much to the tone. It adds a little, but not much, which makes sense with the TD pedal simulating a mic.

On that note, does anyone have insight as to the reason James added phantom powered dual source stereo mic support to the pedal, as it kinda seems redundant? I'm not complaining, just curious. Does he have sights set on competing with other high end dual source preamp pedals?

Agree- the way that I have this preset made, the mic is a very subtle addition. And I think on reflection my wave map is a just a hair brittle. I’m using zero dry signal though and I think a bit of that might balance nicely. Also worth noting that the mic or 2nd pickup has a complete independent EQ stack. I use it to add “air” with my old setup. Might not be necessary at all with TDII.

I think what the mic adds the most in my current preset is body sounds, string sounds, etc. it’s also only at 25% blend.

I’m already thinking toward my full band sets. Since I can make multiple presets with the same wavemap (I’m 99% sure), I can have a preset with no mic and higher feedback resistance for loud numbers and another with some mic that’s more natural for acoustic heavy tunes.

What excites me after playing my gig tonight is that this is an improvement over my prior kit already and I’ve only scratched the surface.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pen View Post
On that note, does anyone have insight as to the reason James added phantom powered dual source stereo mic support to the pedal, as it kinda seems redundant? I'm not complaining, just curious. Does he have sights set on competing with other high end dual source preamp pedals?
I’m pretty sure that James has a number of software updates in mind for the years ahead which will add some very nice capabilities and new functionality to the TD2 (it’s internal processing power is very good), and the need for the unit to be able to supply phantom power will be much more obvious then. For now, it simply allows people to use mics that require it for training purposes. I’m still playing with things, but I’m really liking my inexpensive Behringer ECM8000 reference mic the most, but look forward to listening to some samples using a high-end mic to hear what difference there might be - I don’t think it would add anything for playing live, but for recording, it could be very interesting -
Old 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’m pretty sure that James has a number of software updates in mind for the years ahead which will add some very nice capabilities and new functionality to the TD2 (it’s internal processing power is very good), and the need for the unit to be able to supply phantom power will be much more obvious then. For now, it simply allows people to use mics that require it for training purposes. I’m still playing with things, but I’m really liking my inexpensive Behringer ECM8000 reference mic the most, but look forward to listening to some samples using a high-end mic to hear what difference there might be - I don’t think it would add anything for playing live, but for recording, it could be very interesting -

I was curious but does the TDII have the option to be powered by phantom power as well? It sounds like it can supply phantom power to mics that might need it. If it has the option to be power via phantom power itself, can it also provide the 'pass-through' phantom power to the a mic that requires it simultaenously (or do you have to plug it into the 9v supply at that point?)?
Enya X4 Pro
Boroughs B30ACESB
Takamine EG330C
Old 12-18-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
I was curious but does the TDII have the option to be powered by phantom power as well? It sounds like it can supply phantom power to mics that might need it. If it has the option to be power via phantom power itself, can it also provide the 'pass-through' phantom power to the a mic that requires it simultaenously (or do you have to plug it into the 9v supply at that point?)?
Hi jplee3,

The amount of current that is passed with phantom power is very low, not nearly enough to power any digitally powered pedals, especially ones with higher current requirements like the TDII (which I see spec'd at requiring a 500mA power supply). So I can't imagine that it will run off of only phantom power.

If you require a preamp pedal that runs off of only phantom power, you can take a look at all-analog low power devices like the Baggs PADI, Baggs Session, Redeye, SunAudio State DI-2, or Fishman Platinum Stage EQ.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Would have been a nice option for Trance Phantom users.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Would have been a nice option for Trance Phantom users.
A nice option indeed for my two Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom Systems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-18-2023, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
It cannot be powered on phantom power, but it is quite non-picky about the power supplied - accepting from 9 to 15v dc, at 7w, either polarity -
Old 12-18-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
It cannot be powered on phantom power, but it is quite non-picky about the power supplied - accepting from 9 to 15v dc, at 7w, either polarity -

I have the obvious question. Does James have a program for those of us that have the original TD to trade it in for a discount? I don’t need both.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 12-18-2023, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsidoo View Post
I have the obvious question. Does James have a program for those of us that have the original TD to trade it in for a discount? I don’t need both.
I have not asked him that - but knowing the size of his operation (basically him) I doubt he would have the cashflow or bandwidth to handle something like that, and honestly, I haven’t seen any company offer anything quite like that - especially as he is still quite busy with this initial roll-out of the TD2. But maybe he’ll be able to say something about this in the next couple weeks - in the meantime, you might be better off selling your original TD if you want to upgrade -
Old 12-18-2023, 11:58 PM

Mine arrives on Wednesday! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I'm a very early ToneDexter adopter; I think that my first one (I have a backup second one) has a serial number in the thirties.

Jenn
Old 12-19-2023, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi p-si-d
I own an original, and should he offer it, I'd not be in line to update/upgrade.

I love my original ToneDexter, and use it all the time and it's still amazing, point-n-shoot pre-amplification, sounds like my guitars and popular with sound guys everywhere in our community.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt - I'm 75 yrs old, and have learned what things I can be happy with (and ended my 'quest' for perfect amplified sound half-a-decade back when I received the ToneDexter for Christmas).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-19-2023, 11:53 AM

After a few days of using ToneDexter II, I can agree with most f what’s been said above. (I haven’t use the original TD, so I can’t compare it.) Here’s what I can add…

I’ve made several wave maps for my Martin 00–28 (with a K&K pickup), using an AKG mic. I’ve just started playing with different mic positions, but every wavemap I’ve tried is significantly better than the naked pickup. I have no doubt that this gadget will dramatically improve the live/amplified sound of my guitar.

Lots of bonuses, too. The EQ controls are good. The computer link is great for wavemap management. The feedback suppression is excellent - if you put a bit of time into configuring it.

(Someone asked me whether or not audiences will notice a difference. Personally, I believe that audiences notice this sort of thing subconsciously. It makes a difference to how they feel about your music. Regardless, I know that I feel much better playing when my guitar sounds right, that’s good enough for me.)

I have no doubt that ToneDexter will make a big improvement in my scratch, demo, and rehearsal recordings. Previously, I’ve been reluctant to record the pick up sound directly – now, I won’t hesitate to record these straight into Logic. The next question will be whether or not I can use it for studio quality recording. I know – I’m getting greedy here. But it would be nice to have isolated tracks when recording live. This is not what I purchased it for. But hey, maybe I can get a wavemap that’s that good. We’ll see.

So far, I can recommend ToneDexter II highly. It’s expensive, and it will depend on how much you play amplified and how much you value the quality of your sound. For me, it changes everything.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
II’m still playing with things, but I’m really liking my inexpensive Behringer ECM8000 reference mic the most...
I've found the same with my original ToneDexter.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-19-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't make much sense from a business perspective. I am not sure I have ever heard of a company doing this in the music industry. A lot of companies literally thrive on releasing different varations of a pedal.

On a side note, I know only some people have it so far, but what's the big change with this new version vs. the old? I know there are new features but are the IR's improved and if so, what was done?
Old 12-19-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That wouldn't make much sense from a business perspective. I am not sure I have ever heard of a company doing this in the music industry. A lot of companies literally thrive on releasing different varations of a pedal.

On a side note, I know only some people have it so far, but what's the big change with this new version vs. the old? I know there are new features but are the IR's improved and if so, what was done?

More presets, different UI, dual source blending, probably some others that I’m not remembering.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification