The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-22-2018, 11:18 PM

Default Electric cello

I've been messing around with a friend's cello and found it an intriguing instrument, but not very ergonomic for me. That's got me thinking about making a cello with a shallower body and possibly a bit narrower. To compensate for the smaller volume, I expect to put a couple of piezo microphones inside the body underneath the bridge.

There don't seem to be any plans for such an instrument on the interwebs, although a few people have submitted some write-ups on what they've done.

Can anybody steer me to some plans that might work, or which could be adapted? And if anybody here has actually built such a critter, I'd like to pick their brain. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:05 PM

I love the sound of the cello, but fake it with MIDI guitar and virtual instruments.

There are a great many commercial electric cellos being offered. I've never actually played one or even seen one in a shop. For example if I type in cello at a large online music store site I get around a quarter of the results as models meant to be plugged in. I don't know the budget or a complete set of goals around your idea--and you may already know about these instruments--but either as models for your own idea or a replacement for your own build project they're out there.

Cellos search at Musicians Friend offers a number of models with pickups

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair