The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Varnish Thread

As I continue to search for nitro, I’ve been experimenting once again with the same undesirable results of past experimentations.

So, I’m reviving my varnish research. I have a wonderful violin building supply company near home and discovered this:

https://www.joha.eu/en/varnishes/oil...il-varnish-ia/

Is what’s good for a violin good for a guitar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A665882-CE4E-44C5-A45A-D57F87771BD8.jpg (36.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

What are other people’s favorites?

I’ve heard that the ACE oil varnish is no longer available.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 PM

I refinish quite a few violins / cellos and dbl basses, the varnishes are very soft and mark real easy.

Violins are also stored away and looked after a lot better than most people’s guitars.

I think it would be a suitable finish for a guitar albeit a soft finish that provides no physical protection from small impacts.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Violin varnish is generally thought to be soft, never quite fully drying, and to have more than ideal damping. I've used it (Hameryl) on a guitar and it works, but does not dry quickly enough for me, and the patina is questionable. Customers often complain that it feels sticky.

Much the same can be said about marine spar varnishes I've tried, but to a lesser degree.

Many guitar luthiers who use varnish, including myself, use interior oil varnish that is intended for cabinets, furniture, or floors. Ace hardware makes an interior oil varnish for about $10 a quart that can produce excellent results. I get 12 to 14 guitars to the gallon!

Some hardware stores don't seem to be willing to get the Ace varnish for people, but it continues to be on the shelf of my local store, and they order it for me by the 4 quart case. Murdoch also makes workable varnish.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM

I used a Sherwin Williams oil varnish on a few guitars and liked it enough to probably use it again. I think they called it 'fast dry' and it did indeed dry rather quickly. It needed to be cut with mineral spirit but could be used right out of the can too.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Dang it! I thought I was on to something with the Violin Varnish.

For those of you that use varnish, I’m curious how you made your selection.

It seems that there’s a lot of attention given to lacquer to ensure that it doesn’t impair the transmission of sound. Is it the same with varnish?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair