The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 AM

I don't think shimming is necessary on a traditional dovetail neck reset because when you think about it you are only removing material from the area of the heal cap and tapering it off to zero at the fretboard end. So the body joint fret will in theory be in the same location.

I use a flush cut saw too and only once did I have to use shim having only done this 5 times I think at this point. And that very well may have been because it was never really done right in the first place. The other, and probably better option, is to simply widen the saddle slot even if that becomes necessary.

Removing a Martin style neck, especially one done with HHG, is pretty simple but a bolt on conversion for necks glued with Asian Mystery Glue is a good choice. I would even consider such an operation for a classical guitar with a Spanish foot. I have done that job twice that I can remember over the last 25 years and slipping the foot on the back is way more work then converting to a bolt on. But the traditionalist might have a fit over that idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair