The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-11-2019, 10:50 PM

I've been givin' the Okay for my choice of a Xmas gift.. LOL

I was looking at Bundles but I have a Zoom R8 I can use for the Audio Interface, Which might be better than most of them... Different Mic's to choose from, nothing high priced but decent
Plenty of Daw's loaded and waiting

A Samson G-Track Pro that is coming after Xmas..
I thought maybe a different guitar.. that isn't as loud... But which one??...
LOL This is a bad. I don't need anythng to Record with ...
Maybe a wheeled table to put the Zoom on...??
I guess maybe I just need to record and be happy?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I doubt that the R8 is a better interface "than most" of current models on the market. Assuming you are looking at the popular brands, it's going to be equal to some at the bottom, but that is often more than sufficient for home recording purposes. It depends on what your expectations are.

For instance, it's limited to 2-in/out over the USB port. You don't have to go very far up the chain to find something that will support additional line inputs along with the 2 mic ins, and may have MIDI in, if you need it (e.g., you don't have a USB capable MIDI device or lack USB ports on your computer).

It's primary advantage is that it operates as a standalone, SD recorder, or maybe that's secondary, and the primary is that you already have it paid for! It also works as a control surface (though I didn't read whether it can operate as that at the same time it does as an interface, and don't know if it's an effective one, at that?) If it meets your needs as an interface, then you can certainly defer buying another one. I'd only get a new one if it's never going to be used as an SD recorder, and you and you can sell it to get some money to put toward a new interface, because as an interface use only, it's limited, never mind the amount of desk space it takes up if it's not being used as a control surface.

I would never recommend a Sampson USB mic, but that's just me.

From scanning through here a few times, I'd think it would be worth spending time first on settling on a DAW, and then working out how to get the best recording with the equipment you have. There aren't many of us that haven't rushed out to buy something to make the recording sound better, when it has not been an equipment problem at all. (So many bright, shiny things being dangled in front of us all the time, it's a tempting distraction from the recordings we have been tinkering with that still sound like poo )
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 AM

I'm with Keith - don't know why you would be getting a cheap USB mic. They are good for Podcasting, or for people who just want to record a single track, but the latency and limited monitoring capability make them unsuitable for anything else.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I've been givin' the Okay for my choice of a Xmas gift.. LOL

I was looking at Bundles but I have a Zoom R8 I can use for the Audio Interface, Which might be better than most of them... Different Mic's to choose from, nothing high priced but decent
Plenty of Daw's loaded and waiting

A Samson G-Track Pro that is coming after Xmas..
I thought maybe a different guitar.. that isn't as loud... But which one??...
LOL This is a bad. I don't need anythng to Record with ...
Maybe a wheeled table to put the Zoom on...??
I guess maybe I just need to record and be happy?
Honestly I think you might want to take a deep breath and relax, and you might want to think about getting a bit more organized in your thinking about your recording

Start by focusing on what are your recording goals now, and what might you be looking to do with your recording going forward .

Yes the Zoom 8 is adequate as a beginning entry level mixer/interface.

BUT for example (I agree with Mike and Keith) , given you have the Zoom which has XLR mic inputs and 2 with phantom power (for condenser type mics) and you stated you already have some mic's to choose from ,,,,, why would be getting another USB mic ? Do you have an additional need for a mic beyond for recording music ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I doubt that the R8 is a better interface "than most" of current models on the market. Assuming you are looking at the popular brands, it's going to be equal to some at the bottom, but that is often more than sufficient for home recording purposes. It depends on what your expectations are.

For instance, it's limited to 2-in/out over the USB port. You don't have to go very far up the chain to find something that will support additional line inputs along with the 2 mic ins, and may have MIDI in, if you need it (e.g., you don't have a USB capable MIDI device or lack USB ports on your computer).

It's primary advantage is that it operates as a standalone, SD recorder, or maybe that's secondary, and the primary is that you already have it paid for! It also works as a control surface (though I didn't read whether it can operate as that at the same time it does as an interface, and don't know if it's an effective one, at that?) If it meets your needs as an interface, then you can certainly defer buying another one. I'd only get a new one if it's never going to be used as an SD recorder, and you and you can sell it to get some money to put toward a new interface, because as an interface use only, it's limited, never mind the amount of desk space it takes up if it's not being used as a control surface.

I would never recommend a Sampson USB mic, but that's just me.

From scanning through here a few times, I'd think it would be worth spending time first on settling on a DAW, and then working out how to get the best recording with the equipment you have. There aren't many of us that haven't rushed out to buy something to make the recording sound better, when it has not been an equipment problem at all. (So many bright, shiny things being dangled in front of us all the time, it's a tempting distraction from the recordings we have been tinkering with that still sound like poo )
The samson was an impulse buy $85 lol
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM

It seems like every interface that comes out always touts it's "superior preamp circuity", and I believe that most are just fine and probably couldn't be rated as better or worse than their brethren in a blind listening test by the vast majority of the users who are the target market for simple usb interfaces.

I own an R24 and I'm pretty confident that the R8 has the same preamps. The pres in the R24 are pedestrian and capable of producing good quality recordings, but they do have the distinction of having a lot of self-noise at higher gain settings. Absolutely no problem with condenser mics, but dynamics such as the SM57/58s end up needing the higher gain is where the self-noise becomes evident.

Using the Zoom R series recorders for audio capture works fine when using condenser mics or using dynamic mics on high level sound sources such as electric guitar amps.

Like any other budget tool, you do have to consider the limitations imposed by the equipment and work within its capabilities.

If I could fault the R series it would be for trying to be too many things, a swiss army knife for the home recording enthusiast. I use my R24 for audio capture and port the wav files to a PC for DAW editing. I keep a USB audio interface (Mackie Blackjack with Onyx pres) for monitoring through DT770 headphones or my Eris E5 desktop powered monitor speakers.

Chris, you might want to get one of the "trays" that securely attach to a mic stand to hold your R8 during recording. Anything you can do to make it easier once the red light goes on will enable you to make better recordings.

I have a dedicated stand I use to hold my R24, but mostly use it for remote recording gigs. Otherwise here at home I occasionally use it with a sawed-off mic stand that has a little angled top attached.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-12-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Honestly I think you might want to take a deep breath and relax, and you might want to think about getting a bit more organized in your thinking about your recording

Start by focusing on what are your recording goals now, and what might you be looking to do with your recording going forward .

Yes the Zoom 8 is adequate as a beginning entry level mixer/interface.

BUT for example (I agree with Mike and Keith) , given you have the Zoom which has XLR mic inputs and 2 with phantom power (for condenser type mics) and you stated you already have some mic's to choose from ,,,,, why would be getting another USB mic ? Do you have an additional need for a mic beyond for recording music ?
I dont see me playing out in future , so recording my vocal and guitar only,
I have two condensers and 3 dynamics but im open to better stuff to get the job done
I was looking at recording bundles?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I have two condensers and 3 dynamics but im open to better stuff to get the job done
I was looking at recording bundles?
You seem to be focused on collecting a lot of low end gear, none of which is really going to get you to a different level of recording. Inching your way along like that becomes more costly in the end. Figure out what you really want to accomplish and then figure out what you'd need to accomplish that goal.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM

I’d put the entire (Santa) budget into the room
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yeah, you would, and I would. And maybe a couple other people on here. But you have to have done it long enough to have figured out why.

To everyone else, I'm pretty sure we sound like their parents. :-)

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 12-12-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yeah, you would, and I would. And maybe a couple other people on here. But you have to have done it long enough to have figured out why.

To everyone else, I'm pretty sure we sound their parents. :-)
hehe... it took a while before traps and such became sexy.

YouTube
Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
hehe... it took a while before traps and such became sexy.
Sexy? For me it's not so much man/woman as farmer/tractor.

Couch Standards
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Quote:

To everyone else, I'm pretty sure we sound their parents. :-)
Well, yeah. It took me a few years. I can say that I have more money in treatment than my monitors, interface and probably a dynamic mic or two, and I built all of it myself with rockwool, b-lumber and remnants from walmart. I regret the hours squandered trying to mix before I did that. (I will say that I didn't by cheap stuff along the way, so not so much money wasted, but I admit I've got a couple more mics than I need!)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sexy? For me it's not so much man/woman as farmer/tractor.
I've heard some upstate NY people talk about their John Deeres. Farmer/tractor is a lot closer to man/woman than you realize.

YouTube
Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Farmer/tractor is a lot closer to man/woman than you realize.
Just have to be mindful of the center of gravity and make sure you stay on top.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD