The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-07-2019, 12:23 PM
jamison162 jamison162 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 779
Default Ultra Tonic Version 3 by JME

Alright, who's going to be the guinea pig? An interesting departure from the 3-4 individual sensors; not unlike the former B-Band SBT. Totally passive, minimally invasive, and I think James includes a stereo jack as he did in previous iterations. There's a "ring" solder point on the input jack pcb to add a second souce be it a magnetic pu or mic (power would be supplied via external preamp).

http://jamesmayengineering.com/how-it-works/


Last edited by jamison162; 12-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2019, 01:11 PM
stevecuss stevecuss is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Posts: 1,007
Default

Wow - looks amazing. I love James' innovation.

I just bought an OM21 that will need a pickup, but the price is beyond my budget, but I love the concept.
__________________
Steve
Mcilroy A25c (Cedar, English Walnut) with Schatten HFN (Passive, putty install.)
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Home Built "Cusstone" 18 Watt Plexi.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Vancebo Vancebo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,907
Default

I know I am a big Dazzo fan and all but I love the engineering (best way to describe it) of his products. The idea totally makes sense for SBTs. This alone or paired with a mic would be stellar I am sure.

I would totally give it a try if Dazzos werenít already glued into my guitars. 😁
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2019, 01:41 PM
aaron_t aaron_t is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 47
Default

The v2 Ultra Tonic is fantastic. Iíve installed it in 2 guitars. Iíll be putting my order in for one of the v3 in a few days - to be installed on my D-28 MD!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,984
Default

This looks like an excellent iteration. I'm excited to listen to a demonstration of the new design.
__________________
Martin D-28 Authentic '37 (K&K Passive)
Martin D-28 Marquis (K&K Active)
McPherson Sable Honeycomb (Schatten HFN VT)
Taylor 358 LTD (ES2)

"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2019, 03:52 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 8,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Alright, who's going to be the guinea pig? An interesting departure from the 3-4 individual sensors; not unlike the former B-Band SBT. Totally passive, minimally invasive, and I think James includes a stereo jack as he did in previous iterations. There's a "ring" solder point on the input jack pcb to add a second souce be it a magnetic pu or mic (power would be supplied via external preamp).

http://jamesmayengineering.com/how-it-works/

That is a beautiful design and I may give it a go!
__________________
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Taylor 717e ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 356ce ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Larrivee C-03R TE Tommy Emmanuel
Larrivee D-40M Legacy
Emerald X20 (Element VTC)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic
Republic Duolian
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Vancebo Vancebo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I know I am a big Dazzo fan and all but I love the engineering (best way to describe it) of his products. The idea totally makes sense for SBTs. This alone or paired with a mic would be stellar I am sure.

I would totally give it a try if Dazzos werenít already glued into my guitars. 😁
James, if you see this. Is it possible to attach two shielded Dazzo wires to your circuit board? This way I could try it out.
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:11 PM
James May's Avatar
James May James May is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nevada City, CA
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
James, if you see this. Is it possible to attach two shielded Dazzo wires to your circuit board? This way I could try it out.
I am happy to answer questions!

You can attach another pickup to the RING connection by soldering it to the pad labeled R/P1 on the connector board. The shield would solder to the bottom side ground plane. It could be more than one wire, the pad is big enough for 2 or 3 at least. It's easy to do.

However, I'm concerned that the Dazzo mounting would be in about the same location the Ultra Tonic needs to mount, so wouldn't there be a real estate conflict?
__________________
James May
Audio Sprockets
maker of ToneDexter
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:21 PM
Vancebo Vancebo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I am happy to answer questions!

You can attach another pickup to the RING connection by soldering it to the pad labeled R/P1 on the connector board. The shield would solder to the bottom side ground plane. It could be more than one wire, the pad is big enough for 2 or 3 at least. It's easy to do.

However, I'm concerned that the Dazzo mounting would be in about the same location the Ultra Tonic needs to mount, so wouldn't there be a real estate conflict?
Wow! That was fast.

I would keep the Dazzo instead of using your pickup and just use the Dazzo attached to the circuit board for the only signal source. Not dual source.
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM
aaron_t aaron_t is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 47
Default

Just saw on the website, Ultra Tonic v3 is 33% off - $179 thru Jan 15. [emoji41]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,365
Default

Very cool design. I am excited to hear some demos of it. I have to admit that I was very excited at first thinking that the main sensor would be attached using tape and not glue. However, if it sounds great then I could stomach glue.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2019, 10:43 AM
AxeDude AxeDude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Black Hills of SD
Posts: 143
Default Ultra Tonic Version 3 by JME

Iím curious about how this would work with a ToneDexter on a classical guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM
James May's Avatar
James May James May is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nevada City, CA
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Iím curious about how this would work with a ToneDexter on a classical guitar.
In my view, it is the cat's meow. Ultra Tonic by itself is pretty darned impressive, and you won't have feedback issues. With a ToneDexter, it takes the sound to the finish line. This is true of both nylon and steel string installations.
__________________
James May
Audio Sprockets
maker of ToneDexter
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
In my view, it is the cat's meow. Ultra Tonic by itself is pretty darned impressive, and you won't have feedback issues. With a ToneDexter, it takes the sound to the finish line. This is true of both nylon and steel string installations.
Will there be clips of this new system soon? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Oregon Donor Oregon Donor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 50
Default

Is the soundhole-mounted volume wheel Ďoptionalí, per se? It doesnít look intrusive, which I really appreciate, but one less knob to worry about is always preferable for me. Thatís one thing that drew me to K&Kís initially and then to the previous iteration of the Ultratonic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=