The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 AM

I have never owned a Yairi, but I know people who have and they swear by them. Good luck.
I don't think I would let the laminated sides or back keep me from owning one. One of the finest sounding guitars I've played was a simple Martin DCM that wasn't solid wood. I never should have let that one go...It had a unique sound.
Also, as a side note, the Yairi discussion group is made up of some great people but I never had a lot of luck getting answers to questions when I joined for a short time. I think you are doing very well with this group of players. This is a very good forum--very helpful.
Fred
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Thought I'd chime in...

I have actually only played one Yairi, left the guitar store, became paranoid at the thought that it might be "The guitar that got away", came back and played it every day for 3 days, and made the purchase.

I own the Yairi Classical CY-116 with the cedar top and Mahogany back and sides. Every time I pull it out I get the comment that it is one of the most beautiful guitars that the viewer has ever seen, and I tend to agree. Whats better than the looks? The playability and the sounds that beast can produce. Sweet, deep, smooth, lingering tones, ohhhh my. It is as 1980 model, so it has certainly been played over the years. If a guitar "opens up" this girl has done it. I'll never part with it.

The great thing about Yairi's, as stated so many times before, is that they are amazing players at an amazing price. No one seems to know what they can do because people see Alvarez next to a Taylor or Martin and they spend all day on the Taylor or Martin and never give the Alv. a second though. All the better for us owners I guess. I won't hesitate to pick another up if I saw the opportunity.

Devon
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Thumbs up

I've owned & gigged regularly with a Yairi 12 string (the model number escapes me) for about 15 years. The cedar top gives it a more mellow, midrangy tone than the brighter jangle of spruce-top 12s. Seems to me the string pairs are slightly closer together than some other 12 string guitars I've played. The build quality and fretwork are impeccable. I'll never worry about resale value on this one.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:53 PM

"It ain't the sound you're hearing, it's what you're hearing in the sound." How true, Dthumb! I imagine each of our hearing is very much like our fingerprints & personalities: totally unique & individual. After a couple days of haggling (& all the great kudos from Yairi-lovers), I went back to the Guitar Center where I found this little gem (the MMY1) determined to take it home. It dang sure isn't anywhere even near the prettiest guitar I've ever seen, but I don't know if I've ever picked up a guitar that spoke more clearly to me, saying "Take me home & love me!" or something like that. From the wooden binding & pickguard to the 5-piece neck that just seemed to fit my fingers so well, it's the real thing, I tell ya; I'm in love! Getting it for less than a third of MSRP ($3299.00) didn't hurt my feelings, either. It's not new, but it would pass for it; the paperwork in the case shows 4/20/04 as the initial U.S. inspection date. It's signed by both Mr. Yairi & MM & numbered 15. Guitar heaven????
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Congratulations! It seems you've found your guitar soul-mate..at least for until it happens again. Enjoy. I'm sure you all will make a lovely couple.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:52 AM

missed a Dy-58 a few years back. never seen another one... it was a 9 string. Great Idea, but nobody makes em any more...

Hand Made Walnut 000 | Hand Made Maple OOO 12 | '94 915-M | '96 810 | '98 W65 | '00 314-K |
Yairi DY-58 (9 String) | Sobell Cittern | Moon 'Bazar' (Guitar-Bouzouki) | Freshwater Octave Mandolin | Breedlove Fretless Acoustic Bass | Recording King Squareneck Tricone Reso | Ozark Tenor Banjo | Ozark Tenor Guitar | EKO Ranger XII | Fender Strat | 'Vintage' "The Fool" SG | + some others
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM

I can only find the Alvarez lower line in my area that sounds pretty good for its price range, their catalogue is beautiful and the Yairi line looks great .... how much do they go for?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Slowhand, there is a dealer locater link at St. Louis Music's website. They're the U.S. distributors. Unfortunately, they're a rare find. Even the dealers are hundreds of miles apart. dthumb, I couldn't count how many times I've told my wife "This is it, honey; I'm keepin' these guitars forever!". However, this is one of three I just couldn't see myself parting with........I think! ......Nah, I'm sure!
Old 03-26-2005, 08:42 AM

Monte Montgomery is exactly the reason I stopped being just a "professional listener" and picked up a guitar! If you havent seen him, please, do yourself a favor and check him out. I'm blessed to live near Dallas so I can see him quite often, he's a great guy too, who is very gracious to his fans, and very down to earth. That signature model of his would be my personal holy grail! On the subject of Yairi and alvarez, well, I love mine very much!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Dy58

I have a DY58 (9 String) that I sent to St. Louis in the 80's and had the 500A electrocis added. What do you tink somethign like htis is worth.
I was told 100 were made in 78 or 80 and then another 50 in 1980. Can anyone help me?
Eric

Eric Hansen
Alvarez DY58
Martin D45
Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM

pastor hansen,

I have a 1973 Yairi and after inquiring I found it's worth about what it sold for in 1973; $400. Your guitar is very unique but from I have seen Yairi's just don't have the reputation to get much on the used market though they're great guitars.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM

I had a DY-100- absolute top of the line mahogany model and it was the best sounding guitar I ever owned. It was easy to play, thin neck, low action and frets, and it could sound like a grand piano.
I didn't get a lot when i sold it, kinda regret it now except I no longer play dreds and my Martin OM-21 suits me fine.
It was a great guitar- cost as much as any Martin but had better wood.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Here is the link to the Yairi Yahoo Group.

It is a great place to post questions about Yairi guitars. Price discussions are OK on this site. There are a lot of people on the site that have good information on the Yairi guitars.

Also, there are a couple of Japanese members that can answer all kinds of questions.

They also have a section on dating your Yairi. The Serial numbering refers to the Year of the Emperior and not the years that we use.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/yairiguitars/

These two links will take you to a two part Yairi factory tour. One thing you will see in the video is the wood stash that Yairi has. It is huge. Especially for a company that only makes bout 4,000 guitars a year.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRyLPouYZM

Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmi-K3eFV-Y

I love my two Yairi's
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 08-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Smile Good bang for $ in Yairi models

I have had to good fortune to look for and acquire a couple of the Yairi CY models.
I have a Alvarez Yairi CY-140, which is the nylon string beauty.

I also have Alvarez Yairi CY 140-ce. VERY unusual model. I found a dealer on W coast who was doing New Old Stock on the CY 140-ce.
This model has cutaway and some nice electronics too.

I have heard from dealers that the 140ce is no longer available...$2500 range for one of them, less for the CY 140.

Would love to find more info on Alvarez user group.

Back some years ago was fortunate enough to get to have some mails from Yari-lvr. She knew the market, but last I heard she had passed.

Drop me a note if you have one of these guitars.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-18-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic
Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 PM

I played one at a pawn shop yesterday and it sounded amazing with very old nasty strings. The bridge pins were replaced and didn’t fit. I couldn’t believe how good of condition it was in for a 1980 guitar. Maybe I’ll go back and buy it some day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion