The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Some Fun With The Boss VE8

I am having a lot of fun testing various pickups in my Boss VE8 lately. Here I do a short version of Neil Young's "Harvest" with a Baggs M1A soundhole pickup on my Waterloo WL-14L . All I used on the guitar section of the Boss is the volume control - just straight guitar pickup...I like it! The vocal is through my plain jane Shure SM58 with just a splash of reverb, with Keef on harmony in the choruses!😎

And then straight to record in Garageband on my old iMac:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/harvest7z

And here is one I posted before...

So it is my Sunrise pickup run to the Sunrise buffer box preamp and to my Fishman Pro EQ and then to my Boss VE8 to join with my Shure SM58 vocal on a nothing like it version of Neil Young's "Long May You Run"

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/longmay-u-run7b

BluesKing777.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Cool beans. Your guitar(s) sound really good. The bass is very prominent. When you use picks (if at all), what kind are you using?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanks YG!

Fingers only, no pick...some nail, some callus? Chords are mainly strummed with thumb down, index up.

The key to the VE8 sounding so nice with a variety of pickups has to be the input? Impedance? Who knows, but it works nicely with most pickups I have tried direct to the input. Best so far are my Matons with Maton AP5-Pros systems (pickup and mic), and very, very nice is my new Taylor 717e with ES2. (I must do another track with that). It needs a bit of work on the eq and vol controls on the guitar (Taylor ES2 is too bright for me on the detent settings) but direct was really good after I sorted that.

I would happily run with the 2 pickups I recorded above - very easy to place in the soundhole of any guitar I have with no pickup. The Baggs has its own little preamp inbuilt but the Sunrise has a buffer box extra.

I also turned all effects off the guitar, but have reverb and harmony on the vocal - the big advantage of singing and playing is you get a bit of spill of real guitar sound through the vocal mic!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 PM

Very Bob Dylan-esq. Very fun. Thanks for sharing.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-22-2019, 11:02 PM

Thanks Vindibona1!

Some other good news - the guitars I have with a K&K sound pretty nice plugged direct to the VE8 as well. I prefer to run K&Ks to my Tonedexter first, but the VE8 does a usable job.

Now, the bad news - there is always bad news with this stuff, eh? While I love the sound of the VE8 run to a mixer and PA in stereo, running it to my amp and hearing it in mono is...awful...both guitar and vocal tone. The VE8 needs a strong bottom end, I think, a small PA at least....or good headphones/in ears.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:44 PM

I just sat back down in my lounge room after spending some time playing and singing through the Boss VE8 using my Shure In-Ear Monitors (545s?) and my 4 channel mixer. It is a bit tricky to get used to having the in-ears when you stop playing mainly. The sound is just superb, like playing through the best PA available.

So here is a possible alternative approach to gigging or open mic’ing........practice at home with your Boss VE8, guitar plugged, mic plugged, get your balance between guitar and vocal and effects, and guess what? On the Boss VE8, you can save your settings, very handy. After you have it mastered a bit, pack a bag with the Boss VE8 loaded with batteries (yep, it takes battery power too!), one or two acoustic guitars, one vocal mic, one guitar lead, one mic lead, tuner, strings etc..AND your in-ear monitors. Park yourself on the stage, plug everything in to the VE8, run a lead to the PA and go! You get the sounds you have practiced with and SAVED and the soundpeople can do their best/worst with the Front Of House PA and you do your thing regardless.....😎

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification