The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I'm sure everyone here feels the shock and horror of these events as they keep happening without respite... so why can't we all just offer our sincere condolences without terminology referring to off limits topics and fostoring a tone of disharmony where none is needed?

Peace to all...
I think this is a very good point. But does not reflect the reality of the situation on AGF.

But I disagree with one thing above . I think perhaps unfortunately "disharmony" may indeed be "needed" (not on this forum per se) in the bigger picture. And I think what some have noted and are frustrated about is the reality that, while offering condolences is certainly a laudable gesture, it can far too often , (particularly on a national level ) serve as distraction from the real issues of what to do, and perhaps unintentionally , promotes the status quo.

The reality is of course there are numerous "things" that can be done to mitigate and begin to reduce these types of incidents. The notion that in a "free society" there is "little" that can be done, is specious at best. The fact that "we" as a society appear to currently lack the will to implement these things, is circumstantial, not inevitable ............................................ jusss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-05-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Removed comment on mod action
Old 08-05-2019, 09:09 AM

The fact this horror continues and we just keep talking about guitars. There's the problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I recommend casting down the weapons and picking up the guitars.
Until someone decides they want to steal your guitar.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
The fact this horror continues and we just keep talking about guitars. There's the problem.
Well, life goes on.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Well, life goes on.
Does it ? Well obviously not for some.
Hummm ? sort of a substitute for "That's just the way it is" which is also specious in nature.
Perhaps we on AGF should spend more listening an contemplating the deeper message from much of the music we hear.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Tragic and extremely sad. Though nobody really cares. The proof of my statement is obvious by the actions taken. Which in my observation is that no actions have been taken to deal with this issue. There is a point of decision making in a worst case scenario that goes something like this. Make an action decision even if it's wrong because at least you will be eliminating one option and then you can move on to the next. Doing nothing will encourage these types of actions to escalate.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Tragic and extremely sad. Though nobody really cares. The proof of my statement is obvious by the actions taken. Which in my observation is that no actions have been taken to deal with this issue. There is a point of decision making in a worst case scenario that goes something like this. Make an action decision even if it's wrong because at least you will be eliminating one option and then you can move on to the next. Doing nothing will encourage these types of actions to escalate.
Mr. Jelly, if you care to be more specific and the thread remains appropriate, I, for one, would welcome the discussion.

Last week, only days following the nearby Gilroy shooting, I attended a betterangels.org event. BA is a public forum that hosts workshops and debates, with the goal of having open discourse about politically-charged topics. The leadership, format and rules are neutral.

The topic that night was gun ownership and gun crimes. Approximately 25 people in attendance, with differing views and opinions participating. As most of us already know and the debate confirmed, it is a complex topic. Everyone seems to agree that we "must do something," but from there the opinions (and agendas) vary widely.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I understand your feelings, Dirk, but the AGF is the best place to discuss guitars. There are other places better equipped to handle the complexities of this topic. We can't do it here.
It starts with a word or two of reason from wherever and this place has many people who might ask why this continues and what can be done to let the larger world know of everyone's concern if only simply from a guitar forum.If we can pray for the deceased we can pray for sanity as well.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Another moderator reminder:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum was created for discussing acoustic guitars (and other related topics). Open Mic allows for some discussions that move well beyond guitars, but we must be respectful of the rules. There are a large number of people on this forum from differing walks of life, differing religions, and differing political views.

The rules are specific about what kinds of topics/posts are allowed and what kinds of topics/posts are NOT allowed. We all have sympathy for the people who were killed or injured, their families and friends, and the community as a whole. This thread will remain open as long as it remains non-political and non-religious. AGF will not be used as a springboard for political action.

Kerbie has already posted one reminder. Let's keep this to the task of expressing our grief for those who were impacted by this tragedy and by the one in Ohio as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic