The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Last night one of the cable channels showed a new release Bowie doc called David Bowie:Finding Fame.
It is good, but not as good as last years release “Five Years”.

Some good early footage from 1966 ending with the demise of Ziggy and the Spiders. Also with some good in-depth accounts of his early bands and acquaintances. A lot about the woman he truly loved, that left him to pursue her dancing career. It comes off that he loved her a lot more than she cared for him.

A nod to Mick Ronson as a musician and stellar side man. I liked that they did that.

An hour and a half worth watching if you’re a fan.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevargnhoj View Post
...on the back cover of "The Rise and Fall..."

I often followed those instructions (when my parents were out of the house)
I don't think the instructions came through on your photo, but as I recall they said, "TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME." I took those words for the gospel too.

I remember looking at the back of the CD version, and those instructions had disappeared.

sm
Old 08-10-2019, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mick Ronson fans:

I put together a thread honoring Ronno. Feel free to stop by and add a comment.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=551049&page=3
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I don't think the instructions came through on your photo, but as I recall they said, "TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME." I took those words for the gospel too.

I remember looking at the back of the CD version, and those instructions had disappeared.

sm
Look at the bottom line IN ALL CAPS (right above the publishing information at the very bottom of the photo).

I read that they removed that instruction in all subsequent releases.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 AM

The Spiders were the first band where the sound really grabbed my attention. Still might be my favorite rock and roll group.
Loved the Ziggy album and wore it out, but my favorite really is Pin Ups. Interesting interpretations of some great tunes.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevargnhoj View Post
Look at the bottom line IN ALL CAPS (right above the publishing information at the very bottom of the photo).

I read that they removed that instruction in all subsequent releases.
It's possible that the phrase was an analog vinyl mastering decision or even a reaction to some lack in those mastering decisions. I seen/heard musicians from that era say "Oh the original tapes were great, but then they did a [insert impolite and dismissive word or phrase] job mastering it..."

The CD versions may have been remastered.

Oh, as to the thread's topic. Yes, a fascinating and eclectic artist. It's really something that he was a commercial artist of some success when his "brand" was "I'm going to do something different each time." Prince and Dylan approached level of eclecticism but with Bowie it was his Unique Selling Proposition, and he made it work.

I'm an eclectic too, and I like much of what he did. Those Ronson-era records are great, and I also love the "Berlin trilogy." The last two records made while he was alive are worth continued consideration too.

Funny thing for this thread here: even though he was something of a folkie in his just before fame time, but he never did a full-on "unplugged" all-acoustic album at his full powers of creativity.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic