The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I run this 2 ton mini-split unit in either dehumidification (cool) mode or low/medium-fan cool mode continuously throughout the summer. This single unit keeps the entire 2500 sq ft house @ 71 degrees F/ 55% RH for between $10 - $25 a month. Of course, it depends on having a very energy efficient building envelope. I should add that the outdoor high temperature reached 90 degree 11 days during the month of July and nighttime lows were generally above 65.

Wow. What is that? What does the set-up entail? Looks a lot sleeker and more efficient than my choice. I like it and we are in the same neck of the woods.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Wow. What is that? What does the set-up entail? Looks a lot sleeker and more efficient than my choice. I like it and we are in the same neck of the woods.
Here’s the outside part of the unit. It cost ~$4500 installed. It also provides very inexpensive heat until the outside temperature gets below freezing. This unit is rated to use in heat mode to a low of 15 degrees F, but it is not as cost effective during very cold weather. So I use it until December, then use central heating for the 4 months of December - March.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-02-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Neat set-up. But alas, we are in a condo that won't allow it. We are venting our portable unit through the front slider utilizing a certain amount of cardboard and duct tape! But it works and we are not proud. I'd prefer your set-up though!
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Here’s the outside part of the unit. It cost ~$4500 installed. It also provides inexpensive heat until the outside temperature gets below freezing. So I use it until December, then use central heating for the 4 months of December - March.
So it's clearly low cost to run but an enormous up front expense (and physical installation may be an issue for some people as expressed here)? Doesn't sound like much of a win really.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
So it's clearly low cost to run but an enormous up front expense (and physical installation may be an issue for some people as expressed here)? Doesn't sound like much of a win really.
I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. But the extreme quiet & convenient system (opposed to noisy window units) it provides versatility as a efficient & quiet cooling/dehumidifying/heating system. It is worth the long term investment for some. It isn’t a universal solution for everyone, but it’s a huge win for my situation.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. But the extreme quiet & convenient system (opposed to noisy window units) it provides versatility as a efficient & quiet cooling/dehumidifying/heating system. It is worth the long term investment for some. It isn’t a universal solution for everyone, but it’s a huge win for my situation.
We had a similar "air source heat pump" arrangement at a previous home. It took a few years to cover the initial cost. That one made sense to run well below freezing, too - and the possibility to dehumidify during the few uncomfortably warm and humid days was a great bonus.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-02-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:

I agree...we have a similar setup, and it beats the heck out of window units for multiple reasons....
Old 08-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Bakersfield was predicted to hit 111 Sunday. It was only 108.5 at my house. A year ago I was considering a 1930 OM18. I went with AC instead.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I run this 2 ton mini-split unit in either dehumidification (cool) mode or low/medium-fan cool mode continuously throughout the summer. This single unit keeps the entire 2500 sq ft house @ 71 degrees F/ 55% RH for between $10 - $25 a month. Of course, it depends on having a very energy efficient building envelope. I should add that the outdoor high temperature reached 90 degree 11 days during the month of July and nighttime lows were generally above 65.

nice ceiling wood what is that ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
nice ceiling wood what is that ?
Roof/Ceiling are R44 SIPS with Eastern White Pine V-groove attached to the underside of the interior OSB pre-installation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic