The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
The one thing the course will not do is change the personality of the student. On this I speak from experience.

I zipped through Lesson One with daily practice. Ditto Lesson Two. In Lesson Three I started missing days for no particular reason. Then I decided to skip ahead to see whether I could get away with it. My practice days (as opposed to strumming and singing days) became less frequent. At this point I can't recall exactly how long it's been since I worked on a lesson.

The above mirrors my experience with other books/videos/DVDs over the years. What's different this time is that I've surveyed the lessons well enough to know that this course addresses the entire skill set, at least at a beginner/intermediate level, in a systematic, well-paced way.

I'm now fairly sure that I don't actually want to improve. If I did, I would work the course daily as Steve laid it out.
Hi Dave. I'm not sure I can handle such honesty! But I think you are exactly right. I have to fight myself to stay in the course. I hope you will see your way to work through it, perhaps a little of it daily along with other things that suit your fancy. Thanks for your perspective.

Bill
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Hey Bob. I hope it works well for you, or my name is mud. The "previewed" course is definitely the way to go. I've had it since February or whenever and have been well pleased. It definitely is organized well and will give you the tools to advance in playing guitar. You certainly won't "master" the guitar by the end, but you will have advanced toward that goal.

Let us know what you think about it. We need unvarnished views--the good, the bad, and the ugly--to help others make up their mind.

Bill
Bill, the course came today. I've just gone thru session 1 and the bonus workshop part of it. I'm looking to pass this course on to both my kids (well, they're 22 and 24 now), and I can see how this 1st session will give them excellent fundamentals. I can also see where a new player would probably need 1-2 weeks to get thru this part.
I'm at a place in my playing now, where I can strum a lot of songs. I play along with .mp3's on my computer like I said in a previous post, but I want to pick some and put in extra notes among the chords. The 1st session deals with picking and using all 4 fingers on all 6 strings. This is great for me. My motor skills are definitely lacking. I can do the simple things he does as fast as he does it in that session, but I see where more practice on that is going to help me a bunch in the future. I've never been one to go down/up down/up, but I see where that's important now. And the exercises where he mixes up the fretting is a good motor skill technique.
If the rest of the sessions are like this, I don't see how I can't improve.
Dang, now I sound like one of his commercials.
Seriously, I'm gonna be very happy with this.
Thanks to you and all the others who recommended it.
Bob
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi Bob. Thanks for the feedback, though you are just getting into it. One of my struggles is trying not to go too quickly. You'll get to some good theory with major and minor scales and keys and such, so enjoy the learning and growing. And take advantage of the L&MG forum.

Bill
Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Blasted through the entire course in a weekend to see what all was there.

Many parts seem to be worth going back over at a (much) slower pace.

Last edited by Lash; 08-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Default LMG is the best thing I ever did for my playing

I hate to say it but I had to discipline myself to work around 1 hour everyday to get thru the course in 1 year. It absolutely improved both my knowledge of music and my playing ability. Some lessons took me alot longer than others, especially the pentatonic and blues scales. I had to practice them alot and I wanted to understand the theory involved. But I still say LMG is the best money I have spent!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm interested in this program but I have to say I'm very turned off by their marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters in this thread are involved in the company. The reason I say that is I've seen 'new members' on other forums asking about this program and recommending it in their first few posts. That is pretty low imo.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuco View Post
I'm interested in this program but I have to say I'm very turned off by their marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the posters in this thread are involved in the company. The reason I say that is I've seen 'new members' on other forums asking about this program and recommending it in their first few posts. That is pretty low imo.
Check my number of posts here prior to my first mention of L&MG.

Check my feedback rating on eBay.

Check with the Social Security Administration to verify that I've been retired for several years.

I am nobody's shill.

Anyone who has the gumption to work through the course will benefit from it. (Even I did so -- until my lazy streak took over.) It breaks down the skill set into tiny increments and provides positive reinforcement for achievement. The online L&MG community provides tips and encouragement, as does the course's creator, Steve Krenz.

Anyone who is looking for an excuse not to find value in it because the marketing is sleazy is missing the point. It's a good course.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
If you've read through this thread, you'll find several of us turned off by their marketing. If you'll look closely at the number of posts many of us have, you'd be hard pressed to find that we have ulterior motives other than letting others know about a genuinely good program. That was one thing that convinced me to give the program a shot. Why do you think I linked the $99 "previously viewed" LMG packages?

Whether you order it or not really doesn't matter to me. Maybe you will benefit from it--maybe not. It depends on your present level and what your goals are.

I had to separate the way the company markets the program from the program itself. Their marketing basically cost me a year getting into the program. I had to overcome their marketing in order to buy the program. But common sense would tell you that Legacy isn't making a windfall at the $99 price. The "previously viewed" courses were originally bought for $149, but because they were returned (Legacy has a pretty generous return policy), they are sold as used. I've bought a lot of material, but this is the best $99 I've spent.

Bill
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post
I hate to say it but I had to discipline myself to work around 1 hour everyday to get thru the course in 1 year. It absolutely improved both my knowledge of music and my playing ability. Some lessons took me alot longer than others, especially the pentatonic and blues scales. I had to practice them alot and I wanted to understand the theory involved. But I still say LMG is the best money I have spent!
Dink, I'm on Session 10--fingerstyle. The lesson goes along well till it get to Pachelbel's Canon in D. The third and fourth lines are way beyond what is taught in the lesson. What did you do with Canon? I've read that some get the first couple of lines and move on the Session 11, while others work on it for months.

I'm also working slowly through Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking and play to proceed to his Art of Solo Fingerpicking. It seems that Pachelbel's Canon would require what one would do in Hanson's 2nd book. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Bluesbassdad and Broadus,

I appreciate your posts. I did read through the thread and I realize that most of the posts are genuine, I didn't mean any offense but it sounds like you see where I'm coming from with the marketing stuff. I am weird about that kind of thing, I don't like to support things that are dishonest in their approach. It sounds though like a lot of people have genuinely benefited from the program so I am seriously considering giving it a shot. Thank you for addressing my concerns.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I appreciate your posts. I did read through the thread and I realize that most of the posts are genuine, I didn't mean any offense but it sounds like you see where I'm coming from with the marketing stuff. I am weird about that kind of thing, I don't like to support things that are dishonest in their approach. It sounds though like a lot of people have genuinely benefited from the program so I am seriously considering giving it a shot. Thank you for addressing my concerns.
Hi Stuco. If you do go for it, get the $99 version. I tell everybody about it as my response to Legacy's marketing strategy. It is a very good course, and Steve Krenz, the instructor, interacts with the LMG community forum. If you haven't checked out the LMG forum, doing so will convince you of the worth of the course.

Best,
Bill
Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Upon rereading my post I see that I became a little shrill (rhymes with shill ). Thank you for seeing past that.

I think Broadus has it right. Get back at Legacy for their underhanded marketing ("Sale!!! This week only", followed by 51 more just like it) by buying the used version.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Hey all
I ordered this set and should come in the mail today.
Thanks to all for reviewing this series. Like all of you, I initially found it on you tube and came across all the fake reviews for commissions.
I knew I could find the real stuff on here!
You know, really its a very effective marketing strategy. You cant blame them for paying out a commission to sell for them. They aren't giving the fake reviews. And, one can find the "sale ends" technique in about every industry. I'd like to see it go over $149 just once though!
Thanks Bob, for posting the previously viewed set link, I didnt see it at all on their website. The $99 price and this community did it for me.
So, I should use the bonus material as I go through the sessions, right?
Thanks to the guy for posting the link for that as well! (didnt go back to get name)
Cant wait!!!
Justin
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I just wanted to give a short update on my experience with the course.
I'm just now getting into lesson 4.
Lesson 1 is all about using all 4 fingers to fret notes up and down the fretboard from high E to low E.
Lesson 2, 3, and 4 cover the notes on the first 4 frets, by dealing with 2 strings at a time.
So I'm learning to read the notes on the 5th and 6th strings by reading them from a staff.
The "reading" part has been the hold up. Slowly but surely I'm getting an understanding of it. There's a lot there.
Later will come scales, fancy chords, etc.
But something that they've done recently, is that Steve Krentz, who teaches the course, comes online every Tuesday nite at 7pm central time with a "lesson". Mostly it's tips and demos, but he answers questions as well. This helps keep me motivated. The Tuesday nite sessions are archived, so you can go thru them at any time. Pretty cool.
Also, they have a "Guitar Gathering" scheduled for sometime in late June. This will either be the 3rd or 4th year they've done it. Looks like a fun thing to attend over a 5 day period. Not sure if I can go or not, but am thinking about it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM

I just attempted to purchase the previously-viewed set, and they don't sell them anymore. only the new sets, and they have an option for a jumbo guitar with amp and extended versions. lol i guess my choice is $150 for the book and dvds or 350 to get a guitar amp and gig bag with it. lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write