The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM

I contributed to this thread previously, but to be more to the point, going to a guitar store to try out guitars is one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done, and the idea that may disappear in my area makes me a bit angry, like when a&b sound (music retailer) closed due to loss of sales to online downloading way back at the end of the 1990s. How outrageous.

One may think up the ideal specifications for a guitar but trying something entirely new and unexpected in a shop can be a surprising, exciting and even life changing hands on experience.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Looking at a Martin OMC-16e Ovangkol at my local guitar store. They offered to take $100 off the list price. Told them I would think about it and would probably be back this weekend to get it. In the meantime a retailer on reverb.com gave me a price $280 off the list price with free shipping and no tax (that would have added about $140 at the local store).

I really wanted to buy locally but that was just too much of a difference to pass up. Feel like I will have to stay away from that store for the next six months.
When I first started leaving the local stores out of my purchasing due to price differential I also started giving them the chance to at least come close to the price I was able to buy at from stores at a distance. Always made sure to approach them with courtesy and sometimes they'd get close enough that I'd just go ahead and give them the extra money, but they understood that when it was three or four digit differences, I didn't have enough money to be able to afford to buy from them.

I'll never forget the local music store owner who promised to come as close as he could for a pair of JBL's and he matched the price I had from back east. Didn't find out for a couple of years, but one of his employees told me that he made almost nothing on the sale, and lost all of that and more on the shipping. He always treated me great and never even let on that he'd lost money on the sale. There's still some good people in the world.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

For me, living where I live, there really are not a lot of local music stores left. There are 2 local owned stores, and a Guitar Center. One of the local stores carries more what I would call "everyday" guitars - Godin family, Washburn, Fender, Guild, Alvarez. The other concentrates on more upscale, Martin and Taylor, though they do sometimes get in Recording King and Gold Tone. I have gotten stuff from both stores when I could, but for me and my tastes in what I want, I have had to order stuff in, and go from there. I do go to the store that stocks Martins and Taylors more because there owner is a really friendly, easy to talk to guy, and the fact is they do a much better set-up. I had recently taken my Art & Lutherie AMI wild cherry parlor there, and it was probably worlds better then it was brand new. It's a give and take situation, and if I know they could obtain something, I go to the local first but will get from forum sponsors or online if they can not.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Looking at a Martin OMC-16e Ovangkol at my local guitar store. They offered to take $100 off the list price. Told them I would think about it and would probably be back this weekend to get it. In the meantime a retailer on reverb.com gave me a price $280 off the list price with free shipping and no tax (that would have added about $140 at the local store).

I really wanted to buy locally but that was just too much of a difference to pass up. Feel like I will have to stay away from that store for the next six months.
You made your decision and got what you wanted at the price you preferred.
Congratulations.

Don't do guilt.
It doesn't help the local store, and it just harms you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion