The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Default Another Schatten HFN fan

Yesterday I picked up my Eastman 00 and Cordoba C10 crossover from Cosmo music , both had Schatten HFN passive pick ups installed. To be honest I was a bit apprehensive about going passive instead of active, everything else I own is active. I got caught up in the AGF Schatten passive lovefest. I do own a LR Baggs Venue DI and a Behringer AD121 so I have that covered if need be.

I plugged straight into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and both instruments were just fine with out a preamp. My gain and master were maybe 1 notch above normal so that was great. What was even greater was the tone.......ok I get it now, really really nice. Sure it needed a little EQ at the amp, what system doesn't.

The Eastman 00 when set flat on the Loudbox Mini sounded a bit bright but with good bass. I mean better base then unplugged, this made me very happy. I set the low to 12:00, the mid to 10:30 the high to 10:30 and Bingo......great tone, easy peasy. The Cordoba nylon string C10 was a little more finicky, it was a bit harsh and a bit piezo like in the flat setting. But turning the low to 1:30, mid to 9:00 and high to 10:00 brought back the warm soft nylon sound. As an aside both instruments sounded good played finger style all flesh and No nails. I know Methos had mentioned he was not as successful in that area.

I am now a believer and just wanted to say thanks to all the members who went before me and supplied so much great info and feed back. It was very helpful.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 07-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 AM

It is the first pickup where when I put new strings on the guitar the amplified tone sounded like new strings too (one of the joys of testing where you have two nearly identical guitars with the same PUP). I've also intentionally plugged it into a low impedance input to see how bad it sounds and it was not wonderful but not as bad as a K&K similarly loaded.

I suspect since it is a single head PUP that those few situations (seems to be a function of the particular install and the one mixer I have access too which exhibits the problem - a 10 year old Mackie in guitar mode) where too high an impedance gave me some strange comb-like low pass weirdness should also not happen.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Yesterday I picked up my Eastman 00 and Cordoba C10 crossover from Cosmo music , both had Schatten HFN passive pick ups installed. To be honest I was a bit apprehensive about going passive instead of active, everything else I own is active. I got caught up in the AGF Schatten passive lovefest. I do own a LR Baggs Venue DI and a Behringer AD121 so I have that covered if need be.

I plugged straight into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and both instruments were just fine with out a preamp. My gain and master were maybe 1 notch above normal so that was great. What was even greater was the tone.......ok I get it now, really really nice. Sure it needed a little EQ at the amp, what system doesn't.

The Eastman 00 when set flat on the Loudbox Mini sounded a bit bright but with good bass. I mean better base then unplugged, this made me very happy. I set the low to 12:00, the mid to 10:30 the high to 10:30 and Bingo......great tone, easy peasy. The Cordoba nylon string C10 was a little more finicky, it was a bit harsh and a bit piezo like in the flat setting. But turning the low to 1:30, mid to 9:00 and high to 10:00 brought back the warm soft nylon sound. As an aside both instruments sounded good played finger style all flesh and No nails. I know Methos had mentioned he was not as successful in that area.

I am now a believer and just wanted to say thanks to all the members who went before me and supplied so much great info and feed back. It was very helpful.
That's how I use mine most of the time. I have other gear kicking around, including Tonedexter, which I also love but the passive HFN plugged straight into my Fishman amp sounds amazing. No point putting anything else in between if it's not needed.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
That's how I use mine most of the time. I have other gear kicking around, including Tonedexter, which I also love but the passive HFN plugged straight into my Fishman amp sounds amazing. No point putting anything else in between if it's not needed.
Yea the Fishman acoustic amps always seem to be good plugged straight in. Enough basic usable tone shaping on the front panel for most applications
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM

It's now been two months since I discovered my installation error with my original HFN (not pushing the taped HFN to the soundboard with enough pressure...still good enough to motivate buying a second one). All three HFN's sound great with no EQ. A tape install seems pretty solid. My main guitar has been exposed to car trunks in the sun, high humidity, flying to California, low CA humidity, and no issues with the tape.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I know Methos had mentioned he was not as successful in that area.
I really wish I had gone with the passive one. I don't think it would have made a difference though. I went active as I knew the guitar has issues with SBT type pickup performance so I thought (hoped) the addition of active circuitry giving me gain and some EQ would be the difference but no. Out it came, off it sold.

So that guitar is now an acoustic-only which sounds good with a pick at least. That will be my busking guitar should we ever actually busk. I thought about trying something else but after awhile it starts to be a case of throwing good money after bad. Especially after acquiring the Cole Clark.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM

I totally get the HFN love but ultimately I pulled it out and went in a different direction. When I would use it alone, my guitar sounded great but once it was part of a busy mix, it just got lost. Still, I will probably try it in another guitar down the road. There's a lot to like with it.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I totally get the HFN love but ultimately I pulled it out and went in a different direction. When I would use it alone, my guitar sounded great but once it was part of a busy mix, it just got lost. Still, I will probably try it in another guitar down the road. There's a lot to like with it.
Interested to hear what you went with and what guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification