The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Default NPD: T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic

Well, it's actually used. I like to use a looper and harmonizer to add some variety to my solo gigs and my pedal board was filled with the following:
- Fishman Platinum EQ
-TC Helicon Harmonizer
- Electro Harmonix Looper
- Hall of Fame Reverb
- Electro Harmonix 10 band Graphic EQ
- Boss Noise Suppression Pedal
- Large Power Brick (Usually us a Bose s1 so this way I'm not tethered to the nearest outlet if there's no stage.

I tried a couple of multi-pedals; most notably the Zoom 3 and Trace Elliot, but didn't care for the effects or the EQ. Started watching videos of the T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic but was put off by the price, $500+. Found a used model at Sweetwater for about $265. Was being sold with caveat that it smelled of smoke.

The unit looked new out of the box and the smoke smell was not that noticeable. Even though the unit is small it is stout; very heavy for its size and all of the knobs and footswitches are rock solid.

Here are my impressions:

EQ: Two knobs, stacked for Treble, Mids and Bass. The outer knob is sweepable, the inner knob increases or decreases that frequency. This is the best feature of the pedal in my opinion as you can really tweak your tone.

TUNER: Lightening fast, accurate and very easy to read.

REVERB: While not as versatile as the HOF, it sounds very organic. There's also a "Shimmer" knob, which adds a shimmering, ghost-like fade to the reverb. I plan on using this very sparingly, probably on Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight and Walking on the Moon by the Police.

DELAY: Easy to use, very natural sounding delay with tap switch.

MODULATION: Another effect that needs to be used sparingly. Similar to a chorus but sounds almost like a twelve string. I'll use it on Zepplin's Going to California.

COMPRESSOR: Two knobs - effect level and effect volume. Use it when fingerpicking.

LOOPER: Easy to use two switch configuration.

FEEDBACK BUSTER: A little toggle switch that effectively kills feedback but also cuts out the offending tone so it impacts your overall sound.

BOOST: Clean and adjustable.

So far I've played a Martin GPCPA1, Gibson j45 and a Huss and Dalton CM with a K&K mini through the pedal.

It really is the best multi-effects pedal I've ever tried. Of course, these things always have compromises. In my case I could probably live without the shimmer and mod effects. But the pluses; built like a tank, compact design, very upscale features, two XLR outs, phase switch and other thoughtful design elements, make this a pedal you should at least test drive if you're in the market for a Swiss army knife acoustic pedal.

I've no longer have to drag a big pedal board to solo gigs and have already sold several of the old pedals on Reverb and recouped most of my money.

Anyone else have an opinion on these?
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Ruppster; 08-19-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:59 PM

It looks great, but too expensive!
Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Killer price!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:18 AM

I just got mine a couple days ago and need to spend some time with it before tomorrow night so I can use it at work. These are pretty spendy, but a great bargain if they come through and let us do what we need without a whole bunch of pedals the link together and actually cost even more in some cases.

Your mini review was good to read and I hope you'll post up more as you get more use out of it.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Looks like a great pedal and you definitely "stole" it at the price. Man I wish I would have seen that, would grabbed it in a second at the price.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like it is a great solution. I would love to try one sometime.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Just discovered these. It does look very interesting. I was thinking of cleaning house with a bunch of gently worn, unused pedals and things just to make room for more gear and this came up by way of looking at the Tech21 Fly Rig which is similar and I only discovered that one because I just purchased the Tech 21 Fly Rig v.2 for electric guitar which is really good BTW. It’s just a vicious cycle where there is no end.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Please post more of your impressions once you do a couple of gigs with this.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 PM

I didn't even bring it tonight. The BodyRez straight in has been so effortless and I just shrugged and decided to hold off having it on stage until Saturday when I'll actually be accompanying another soloist and I'll have a lot of leisure to mess with it while playing.

One of the things that I really enjoy in this day and age of sequencers, backing tracks and loopers is when people notice that I'm actually playing everything they're hearing in real time. Still planning on using the looper (and or my trusty Ditto x2), but there's something really enjoyable about doing a bare guitar/vocal performance where they see everything they're hearing.

On Saturday I'm supposed to learn both the guitar solo and and synth solo on Lucky Man, which will be an excellent place to take advantage of the Boost, Delay and Compressor. So I'll probably try messing around with the T-Rex tomorrow and figure out some settings and just try to get used to working my way around it.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Nama Ensou;6141918
One of the things that I really enjoy in this day and age of sequencers, backing tracks and loopers is when people notice that I'm actually playing everything they're hearing in real time. Still planning on using the looper (and or my trusty Ditto x2), but there's something really enjoyable about doing a bare guitar/vocal performance where they see everything they're hearing.
[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic, but totally agree with this. I use a looper to do things like the Hotel California harmony leads at end of song. People do look up to check it out and are always appreciative.
Still looking forward to your impressions of the T Rex. Have a good show Friday!

Last edited by jricc; 08-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:46 PM

Finally gave both the pedal and the HK 608i their first play about 20 minutes ago and I can tell that between all the options on the pedal and the iPad operations for the mixer in Expert mode, I'm going to be really busy trying to learn them both. Really encouraging though and I'm definitely taking them both to the gig on Friday.

One problem I had with the looper is that when I turn it off, then back on so I can solo over it, it goes directly into record mode again, so I'll probably have to dig into the manual to figure out how to disable that. Hopefully.

After just one run through it looks like I'll be using everything, with the probably exception of the tuner, since I've got my Peterson StroboClip HD on the guitar face and my Shure GLXD16 on the floor.

The modulation effect was not what I was expecting, but once I turned it down I could tell that I'm definitely going to be getting some use out of it.

I also like the shimmer on the reverb, and while it can easily be overdone, there's a balance knob to bring it under control.

Very wide ranging eq is going to take a lot of time to experiment with, particularly since I also have a fully parametric eq on the 608i, but if I can't get the eq dialed with all this then I'll have to hire a soundman.

I'll try to post back up again next week after I've got a couple nights playing with all of it.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Been liking mine for over a year.

Wish there was more swing on reverb. It gets strong
rev on me over 1.

imho
Old 08-11-2023, 08:42 AM

Exclamation

The acoustic soul mate is very functional and very usable. I’ve had mine for several years, and I use it mostly for a solo acoustic gig. My two beefs are that the unit loses knobs. I pack it away in a bag, a DJ bag with my cords, and knobs come off and get lost
Also the loop start and stop are in the worst possible place and it’s nearly impossible to hit them without looking, unless you want to risk hitting the boost button or the Tuner which will either make your guitar really loud or completely silent.
This sort of takes away from the smoothness of throwing a loop in for a solo or something

Also, they won’t give you any free knobs. But they do have them on their website now that I have complained a lot.

Interesting company, poor customer service
Old 08-11-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I didn't even bring it tonight. The BodyRez straight in has been so effortless and I just shrugged and decided to hold off having it on stage until Saturday when I'll actually be accompanying another soloist and I'll have a lot of leisure to mess with it while playing.

On Saturday I'm supposed to learn both the guitar solo and and synth solo on Lucky Man, which will be an excellent place to take advantage of the Boost, Delay and Compressor. So I'll probably try messing around with the T-Rex tomorrow and figure out some settings and just try to get used to working my way around it.
FWIW....the solo in Lucky man is super easy..
Old 08-11-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesolo View Post
FWIW....the solo in Lucky man is super easy..
Yeah, it was, but I haven't played with that guy in a couple of years now and have since forgotten it! Probably played it with him at gigs maybe four or five times, and then no more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification