The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Default Impressions and questions about the Schertler AG-6

As I mentioned in the other thread I started, I just picked up a used AG-6, which was delivered today. I wanted to give my impressions and I had some questions to those with some experience with this unit about whether this is working properly.

Firstly the good - this mag pickup sounds excellent. Great balance and no eq "fixing" necessary at all.

Now for the questions. I'm not sure if this is normal.

The output is not very strong. In fact, the level at full volume was about the same as the passive M1. Normal?

The low end on the bottom string (I have it tuned down to D) is kind of flubby. I replaced the battery but it seems like the low end is taxing the preamp a bit too much. Normal?

There is the infamous hiss I've read about here. Normal or was this addressed and fixed by Schertler in later units? Maybe I have an "old" one?

The mic did not come with it. So to check if the Ext In jack is working I just plugged my electric guitar into it (via a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor). The electric guitar signal did go to the output, but there was a lot of buzzing, like a ground problem. Maybe you can't just plug anything into this input? Is there some special magic Schertler is doing with their mic and stick on transducer that makes them work right with this pickup? I also tried the Dean Markley Artist and there was also a lot of that buzzing and the signal was way too low to be useful.

Can anyone who has experience with this pickup comment on any of these observations?? Ultimately I should probably call Schertler and see what they say.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM

I have been using the AG6 plus mic for 3 years now and am very happy with it.

I run into a Fishman Platinum Pro DI for EQ adjustment, volume boost etc. Very nice clean signal, No buzz or hum.

I am pretty sure the external input jack is specifically designed for their own condenser mic or transducer. It probably has a phantom voltage on it, which could explain why routing a magnetic pickup into it causes some issues.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Overall I'm happier with my AG6-6/S-mic than I've been with any other acoustic guitar pickup.

It is not without issues though:

1) Yes there is hiss. It doesn't bother me live but you'll hear it prominently on any recordings.

2) The mic is right where you would put a sound hole feedback busing cover. If you play at volumes where you need a sound hole cover, look elsewhere.

3) The mic is omni-directional vs the cardiod mic on the Fishman Rare Earth Blend. This is both good and bad. The good is it makes for a more natural sound. The bad is that it’s more prone to feedback.

4) You can't turn the mic up too much without it feeding back. I personally like the sound of mostly pickup and just a touch of mic so I am fine with this, but if you like more mic than pickup you could be disappointed.

I really love the sound of my Martin with this in small intimate settings. In that kind of gig the amplified sound is the best I've heard or used.

If it's a louder gig, I use my Godin Multiac to avoid feedback. The sound isn't quite as good, but it's close and stress free.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Thanks Bill Yellow and lkingston for your responses here.

Sadly I think this thing is going back. I can't believe the output is as low as it is - it's actually at microphone level. That can't be right for an active pickup. It sounds great but maybe the low output is making the hiss more noticeable.

It's a bummer because the sound quality is really incredible all by itself. The mic would be icing on the cake. But right now I am not confident that this unit is working right.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:05 PM

The output level should be about the same as any active pickup.

Just one last thing. This is a mono system with a TRS Jack that is designed to be used a standard guitar cable with just TS connections. The pickup and the mic are combined in mono and play through the TS connections. The Ring Sleeve connection is just for power and is designed to be shorted. If you use a stereo TRS audio cable trying to separate the mic and the pickup, it won't work.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 PM

If sending it back is an option ..i would do that.
take the refund and buy another. If you have the
same issues than its just the way it is. Buy something
else. I wouldnt put up with hiss. Low output may be cured
with a good preamp but hiss would only be
attenuated i would think. There is no lack of choices out there.
I wouldnt fall down the rabbit hole buying things to try to
make it work.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

vincem....Was it hissing and buzzing 'before' you plugged your electric
guitar into the EXT-mic input? The Schertler folks told me to make sure to
insert the s-mic perpendicular or it can cause problems with the AG-6.
I am not sure what kind of magic is going inside that input.

My first AG-6 had a low output like you mentioned and was replaced by
my dealer. My other AG-6's had higher outputs. btw the S-mic adds
overall volume, also.

As to flubby bass, I usually need to reduce the bass with the AG-6.

Bill Yellow....I just got a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. I can only turn the gain
barely on, i.e about 8:00 before the gain light is constantly on with the AG-6..
How is your gain set with the AG-6 and Fishman PP?

vincem -We have a Schertler rep, Dave on AGF...check in with him
Good luck.

Mike
Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Hey Mike!

Regarding my Ext In experiment, before I did anything I noticed the hiss decreased (but was still excessive) if I turned the blend knob all the way to the mag only setting. So I assumed the Ext In preamp was introducing noise.

At that point I just wanted to establish whether the Ext In was working at all. So I took the pickup out of the guitar so I could be careful plugging into the Ext In jack. I first plugged in my Dean Markley transducer but the level was so small it wasn't useful, but that introduced humming that seemed like a ground issue. Then I plugged in a signal from an electric guitar humbucker (passive mag pickup) to see if the level would be more useful, which it was. There was no distortion - it sounded fine. But the ground noise was still there. So at this point I'm not confident that the Ext In is working properly. The Ext In accepts a simple mono passive T-S format input so those inputs should have been compatible.

Thanks for sharing your experience that you also had one with lower output that was replaced.

I guess I'll take varmonter's advice and just return this!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 AM

I have the input trim on the side of the Fishman box barely turned to the first mark. So, similar to yours. Which of course implies the output of the AG6 is not by any means low.

I do find that in many live settings I have to keep the mini-mic volume down, but not completely off.

Often soundtechs will give me a load of foldback, and I politely ask them to drop it way down because on an acoustic stage I can hear my guitar plenty well enough!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I also agree with varmonter's suggestion. To others following this thread,
I just wanted to re-iterate that many of us are using the AG-6/S-mic with
good results and no hiss.

Also, thanks to Bill Y.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 PM

I wonder if it just hisses when the battery runs down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification