The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Go ride.

Not to steal the Remco Evenepoel thread, and maybe Brandon Semenuk is an old guy now that he's past 25. I suppose Danny MacAskill is old at 33. They are probably the most amazing cyclists right now.

One of my biggest smiles is when racers don't know how overall good most free rider types are. Last night a friend and I had a big smile when we watched one of Trek's greats tease a pack of racers passing one doing a wheelie.

It's worth noticing the small stuff Brandon Semenuk does. Tap the top of a jump when it could as easily do a flip over it. His ability to manual and pump are otherworldly.

We just finished a skills building and learn to drop and jump area about 5 weeks ago. It took little time to have dozens of kids sending it. It's become an area magnet for all ages. 4 scholastic league teams are using it. Parents are trying it. Extra cool within that are how it welcomes kids the traditional sports teams would shun.

If you like racing, off road racing is going to change soon if not now. Watching the kids and development of a new bike at our ski club is the story. They're sending it, pumping, and riding berms at 90 degrees. That's a far cry from traditional sit or stand on a bike and grunt.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 AM

How is there room between his legs for the bike?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

The guy is simply awesome! I have 10 days in Tahoe starting tonight. I plan to be very un-Brandon-like.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
... Danny MacAskill is old at 33. ...
Here's one of Danny's older videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 08-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevargnhoj View Post
How is there room between his legs for the bike?
Be careful with that statement. Last night our ski club had the first ever little kids lesson session on jumping and a visiting team. Little and high school age girls were making boys hurt and putting them to shame.

A friend, former Red Bull competitor and course builder - one of the top builders anywhere - is doing 3 projects in our area this summer. Some of his work in the trail system I started and manage.

One of our teen girl ski jumpers just took 25th in a world competition in Poland. We might have to rename flyover country to fly country.

I'm past some recent burnout over all the work via all the kids doing great stuff.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Hmmm...noted.

Certainly there are plenty of adrenaline junkies of the female persuasion with mad skills and guts aplenty. I know a few who I would like to be able to climb, kayak, surf, etc half as well as.

In this case, considering the anatomical and kinesiological considerations, I'll stand by my feeble attempt at humor.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevargnhoj View Post
Hmmm...noted.

Certainly there are plenty of adrenaline junkies of the female persuasion with mad skills and guts aplenty. I know a few who I would like to be able to climb, kayak, surf, etc half as well as.

In this case, considering the anatomical and kinesiological considerations, I'll stand by my feeble attempt at humor.
I get that. I married very athletic and talented woman who can beat me and my friends in some activities. There have been years of she makes me or you hurt jokes.

I digress, but I'm honestly thrilled about the women doing these sports for a bunch of reasons.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
... I'm honestly thrilled about the women doing these sports for a bunch of reasons.
Me too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic