The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

My neighbor lives 800 miles away and visits two weeks a year. They invite us to dinner for watching their house. Perfect

When I lived in Denver my across the street neighbor didn't take kindly to sharing the neighborhood. One day I was at the kitchen window and watched him back out of his driveway, keep going and deliberately run over our bushes along the sidewalk. I immediately called his home and spoke to his wife. The end game was we had a chat, came to an understanding, and got along just fine for the next 6 years.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
My neighbor lives 800 miles away and visits two weeks a year. They invite us to dinner for watching their house. Perfect
Long drive to a 7-11.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM

I lived in Philly when I got out of college and I'm pretty sure my neighbor 2 doors down was running a brothel. Lots of provocatively dressed women with men coming and going at all hours. When the windows were open it was pretty clear what was going on based on the noises coming out.

I lived briefly with my parents in the rural part of KY south of Lexington on a ridge overlooking the KY river with a nice view out the back of the house. The neighbor across the road was a drywall contractor and he collected every scrap and 5 gallon mud bucket from every jobsite and dumped them in his yard.
The neighbor next to him never got rid of a car. He had about 10 junkers in his front yard with weeds growing up all around them. My dad offered to buy them from him and have them hauled away and he said he planned on fixing them up and driving them again. The guy was in his 70's and in poor health and there was no way he could accomplish that in the time he had left.

Last edited by architype; 07-23-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Peaceful! I have 2 neighbors, one about 100 yards away and the other across a creek. Both late 50's, mow their lawn, wave when they go by, short pleasant conversations when we see each other out, and willing to help if need arises. The neighbors in front and behind are about 1/4 mile away, all good there too.Very fortunate!
Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Hmmm....

All you guys that don’t have a problem neighbor? Maybe you’re it!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:00 PM

At my home near Reno the homes are on a 'zero lot line' where my house is the western boundary of my neighbor's courtyard any my western neighbor's house is the border of mine and so on. The courtyards are the property of the homeowner whose door faces it and you just sort of ignore the wall of the house to the west. The windows are too high to see into your neighbor's courtyard or are nonexistent.

We all have gardens and pavers or some combination thereof. Once when spraying for bugs I noticed my neighbor had strung up a chain of lights by stapling them to MY HOUSE. Then to add insult to injury, he plugged them along with a little water feature into the outlet on MY HOUSE.

When confronted they declared ignorance and, "I'm just not used to this zero lot line business." Actually it was my neighbor's mother who did the stapling and plugging in but he did apologize pleading ignorance of his mother's doings.

It's now just a case of us ignoring one another but now I have to figure out how to get him to pick up after his dog when he walks him. It's the local law and our HOA even provides bags for the purpose of disposing of it. Basically he's a selfish slob who will go out of his way to skirt his responsibilities with regards to his neighbors.

At our Las Vegas home I used to have a neighbor who would peek over the block wall fence separating our backyards as my wife and I were sitting in our hot tub and try to start a conversation. No real understanding of privacy or behaving in a respectful manner. He wasn't rude per se, but rather unconcerned that we wanted some time to ourselves. And he had to shout across our yard to even try to talk to us.

He and his wife no longer live there and the new neighbors, now that they no longer raise chickens in the middle of the city, are pretty quiet and leave us alone. I wish we had an HOA at this property.

Best,
PJ
Old 07-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
My neighbor lives 800 miles away.
You're Santa Claus?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, one day I came home from church and found that the homeowner next door had posted a "For Sale" sign and had painted my fence to match his house.

Fun stuff.

A hurricane came through a couple of months later and blew down the lot so I had to replace it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I empathize, Bob.

When I was trimming trees and bushes to get my mom’s house ready for sale, her wacky neighbor threatened to call the cops on me, even though I was following city code on exactly how and where and when to stack yard waste. Crazy. My goal in life is not to sweat stuff like that. Who has the time to get torqued over how and where I stack sticks? That she will have to look at for 6 hours, max?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I think I’d go to his house at 8 the next morning and let him know the trash had been picked up, seems like the neighborly thing to do
Another vote for this
Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Good stories, I think I have been on both sides at one time or another. I was shooting semi auto AKs with a friend into a dirt hill. Pickup truck pulls into the driveway, two guys come out and say they were out giving shots to their horses and heard bullets whistling over their heads. Ricochets off the ground as we were drinking a bit. Felt pretty stupid. Apologized and put the guns away.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

....hmmm...that guy is not what I call a nutty neighbor.....best leave it at that....

...I did have some nutty tweaker neighbors that patrolled the woods on their property at night with flashlights and shotguns....they said they were looking for trolls....
Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
....hmmm...that guy is not what I call a nutty neighbor.....best leave it at that....

...I did have some nutty tweaker neighbors that patrolled the woods on their property at night with flashlights and shotguns....they said they were looking for trolls....
I was the nutty neighbor in that moment.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 AM

No wack-jobs, but neighbors who, instead of gathering leaves into leaf bags or bins (picked up free by the town) or taking them to the town transfer station, they blow them all into piles on our property line. Their side of the fence, so not much I can do, except that after many years, the combination of leaves and brush they pile up is 4-5 feet high, and what I consider a fire hazard. And to top it off, they don't trim the bittersweet vines that grow up from this area into the trees and eventually will kill off some very tall pines and swamp maples on the property line. They never even use their yard for anything, its just for ornamentation, so probably don't even realize what they're doing.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 PM

Red face

I had a mentally ill neighbor that would come off her medication and she would become violent.

She attacked the 85 year old woman who lived across from her claiming that she had stolen her cable TV hook up and the nut case didn't even have cable, it had been disconnected for nonpayment for over a year.

She smashed another neighbors car windshield, claiming that she was shacking up with her ex husband.

She would spend a few nights in jail and one of her children would bail her out and just drop her off and never look after her, just drop and run.

I always felt she was going to burn my house down and that is no joke. I lived right next door to her.

I would come home from work and she would looking right into the windows of my house as I drove in the driveway.

I would just humor her and ask if she need help with anything, she would always ask if my wife was home and I have to say no not yet.

I sold that place as fast as I could after the market got better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic