The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Rainsong 12 fret short scale dreadnought

Inspired by JerryM who got one of these and posted on the ACF a few months ago I ordered the same model, same except the two sharks on the fretboard and no pickup or barn door electronics. Six week’s wait and it’s here and I am really pleased! It’s beautiful and with the short scale, 12 frets to the body and low action it plays like good old Wisconsin butter. It sounds good and has decent volume. Very light and all together an extremely comfortable guitar. I am used to the 1 3/4” chunky N2 neck, I used to have a Shorty and although I wouldn’t seek this neck out it’s not a deal breaker for me. Psyched that there will be a guitar out again rather than in a case and it is just in time for summer bluegrass! As usual terrific service from Ted and Helene at LA Guitars and the folks at Rainsong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 741A92BC-0C58-46D3-A837-A7CB6C84B33A.jpg (36.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg CFF7DA3F-6E5C-4C5C-BA47-6B43D6C6B833.jpg (19.6 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by KitKat1; 06-07-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Congratulations that's a nice looking finish. I certainly agree having a carbon fiber guitar that's always out away from the case will make you want to play more.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:52 AM

That's a beauty!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
Inspired by JerryM who got one of these and posted on the ACF a few months ago I ordered the same model, same except the two sharks on the fretboard and no pickup or barn door electronics. Six week’s wait and it’s here and I am really pleased! It’s beautiful and with the short scale, 12 frets to the body and low action it plays like good old Wisconsin butter. It sounds good and has decent volume. Very light and all together an extremely comfortable guitar. I am used to the 1 3/4” chunky N2 neck, I used to have a Shorty and although I wouldn’t seek this neck out it’s not a deal breaker for me. Psyched that there will be a guitar out again rather than in a case and it is just in time for summer bluegrass! As usual terrific service from Ted and Helene at LA Guitars and the folks at Rainsong.
Congrats KitKat, that's a nice looking guitar and I know for a fact they sound great too.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Good looking guitar, KitKat1! It will be interesting to hear what others in your bluegrass group have to say about the RainSong, since players of that genre tend to be pretty traditional. That burst certainly gives the guitar a more traditional look... might be interesting to not say anything about the guitar and see if anyone notices.

On occasions I've had to play with other wood guitar players, the reactions have ranged from curiosity to indifference. I appreciate more those with an open mind.

Enjoy that new guitar!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful RainSong, KitKat--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the N CFG D!

That finish reminds me of my APLE Rainsong. Lots of folks think it’s wood from just a couple of feet away.

I too am interested in how this’un performs in a BG setting (parking lot picking I assume?). Also, I’m interested in how this performs on, say, solo fiddle tunes - think Norman Blake.

While I love my Emeralds, as was posted above, they would kind of, uh, stand out, at a Bluegrass Mafia meeting.

Hope you love your new Rainsong.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Very nice buy on a fine guitar...you done good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 AM

OMG she is beautiful! Congrats and many happy hours of playing!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 06-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Fiddle tunes, Bluegrass on a Rainsong? YOU Betcha! I play fiddle tune leads on my guitar every day and use it for everything. Great guitar, until I told our bass player it was CF he didn't know! I took the white edge off of the truss cover one of the cosmetic things I didn't care for but the finish on the guitar in the Tobacco Sunburst is superb. Nothing to break up the smoothness of the top. Rainsong must have changed something in manufacturing because my APLE and APSE both had finishes that you could detect CF construction and my Shorty's had a rim around the top that was noticeable. The new Dreadnought has nothing but a 100% smooth top perfect finish, and the back edge is rolled over rather than sharp so very comfy.
Congrats on the new guitar, I sure am happy with mine, so far at every showing no one has inquired if it is CF. It appears as wood on stage or in a jam. Try a set of GHS PB strings on the guitar, I find them to be really nice and they project very well, I use the 12/54's. I also put a pick guard on mine from Stew Mac the Martin Om size and the clear sections let the top color show thru, really nice affect and saves the top from rub marks where my fingers rest. Also if you ever remove it you can't tell it was ever there, the finish is super tough.
Enjoy it, good choice!!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Did you need to custom order this? Or is an older model that is out of production?

I’m looking for exactly this..... Short scale, Carbon dread......

Is there a model number/name?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speirsy11 View Post
Did you need to custom order this? Or is an older model that is out of production?

I’m looking for exactly this..... Short scale, Carbon dread......

Is there a model number/name?
Disregard! A little google effort and I found it at LA Guitar Sales.

Now to scratch together the $$$......

(Stupid USD-CAD exchange rate....)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Good looking guitar. I didn't know this option was available - very nice. I want one!

JR
Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I played the new Rainsong with a group last night: mandolin, banjo, fiddle, bass, vocals. I was happy with how it sounded along with the other instruments, including the volume when I leaned into it. So darned comfortable to stand and play for a couple hours! It does not sound like a 60 year old Martin, but it assumed the rhythm and lead role well enough. Didn't get any funny looks although the lead singer did say that it was, wow, a beautiful guitar and she could do her makeup in it.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Is the sunburst completely opaque with no CF weave showing?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber