The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I have seen Leo Kottke do that in concert too - mess up, stop, and start again after a few humorous comments. To me, this is a real solid performer because he acknowledges it, and is so comfortable with his abilities and his audience, and makes it a part of the show. You can't help but go with it. He could have just kept going and most likely, as you pointed out, only a few guitar playing folks might have noticed it.

Tony
I once saw Leo make a mistake. He kept playing and when he was repeating the same part of the song later he (intentionally) made the exact same mistake again and grinned to the audience. Many in the audience laughed.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Hey the guys human - were not perfect -Tommy puts on a great concert -
Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Musical minimalist

Most amazing "request for re-do" I've ever seen....

Early '87 I saw Segovia at Orchestra Hall in Detroit - he was 94.

During the performance, several times he had to stop playing due to a cough.

He played through it, and did two encores after a pretty long performance.

On his third return to the stage, he came without his guitar, put his hands up to silence the crowd and said "I'm embarrassed by my performance tonight. Please keep your ticket stubs and if I'm still alive, I'll play for free on this date next year."

He was gone a few months later.

What an incredible human being.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 PM

These are great stories!! We saw Livingston Taylor last year. His specialty is the art of performance and teaches that at Berkeley.
He started an opening riff on a song and truly slid up the fret board to a very bad note......you didn't have to be a player to know it was really the wrong note. Smooth as could be, he just said, "Oops, that's not where I want to be".....repeated the riff perfectly and said, "There, that's where I want to be". Just as smooth and unruffled as could be.
Watching the concert overall, I was amazed at his presence before, during and after each song. He never let down.....was in performance mode the entire night.......it truly was like a workshop on "how to do it".....from facial expressions, hand movements, to timing, to pauses at the right moments, humor, it was all there to witness. And, by the way, he's an outstanding guitar player!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
My point is not to diminish Mr. Emmanuel's achievements, but to simply suggest that there is a much larger universe of music out there of which he - and similar players - is but a very, very small part. Even the guitar-playing world, itself, is a much bigger place than any one player or style.
The thing with Tommy Emmanuel is while he runs his show with only acoustic guitars his style is all over the place. He's ridiculously talented at fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming, you name it, he does it all. He even plays some sections tapping the strings like a high gain electric player, and he does all the percussion on the body of the guitar too.

And when it's not his show and he gets invited onstage he'll pick up an electric guitar and he is incredibly skilled & fast in different styles there too. You can find videos with him holding his own with the electric "shred gods" in styles that in no way resemble his preferences.

He's incredibly well rounded.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Angelina is one of the two Tommy E pieces I can play front to back so I know how tough those harmonics are... and let me tell you, the harmonics at tempo are miserably difficult to get them all without dead or ringing notes. I'll probably be working on them until I die. The accuracy and consistency of Tommy is superhuman.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 PM

On February 28, 2017, Guitarsan (original poster) submitted this to AGF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post
So I took my bride to see Tommy in Charlotte last weekend.
Note that this is a two and a half year-old zombie thread.

The performance original poster is referring to happened on Friday, February 24, 2017, at the The McGlohon Theater at Spirit Square, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Here's Tommy Emmanuel playing a couple of songs at the WCCB television studio in Charlotte on 2-24-2017, ahead of the show:

"The T.E Ranch":

"It's Never Too Late":

On August 22, 2019, vindibona1 poster this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Angelina is one of the two Tommy E pieces I can play front to back.
Interesting. Endeavor to video record the performance and put it up over in the Show and Tell section.

Last edited by Inyo; 08-23-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
The thing with Tommy Emmanuel is while he runs his show with only acoustic guitars his style is all over the place. He's ridiculously talented at fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming, you name it, he does it all. He even plays some sections tapping the strings like a high gain electric player, and he does all the percussion on the body of the guitar too.

And when it's not his show and he gets invited onstage he'll pick up an electric guitar and he is incredibly skilled & fast in different styles there too. You can find videos with him holding his own with the electric "shred gods" in styles that in no way resemble his preferences.

He's incredibly well rounded.
I saw him on the tele - just a variety show in Melbourne from memory - playing Steve Via style on his Tele plugged into a twin with a curly lead. No pedals, no nothin' to help.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:15 AM

what i get from the OP story is a bit different from most of the posts i've read...what i immediately thought was how this was an insight to the passion, drive and almost OCD determination that one would have to have to play at Tommy's level. He wanted to play that small phrase again correctly because that's the essence of who he is - driven to be his best.

The down side of this is what one gives up to get to his abilities...virtually everything. A price many are not willing to pay who perhaps could be just as good, or even better than Tommy maybe, if they did.

I also agree with the post about the music/guitar world being a big place. The masses will never know Tommy because it's always going to be about the song not the virtuoso abilities someone posses for the masses. As amazing as Tommy is he wouldn't be considered 'the best' in any one style of guitar IMO.

All that said he's an awesome force for the instrument, and a humble and inspiring musician.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion