The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Hand/finger stretches

Can regular finger stretching exercises allow me to stretch across frets easier?

Conversely, is there any danger in manually grabbing a finger and stretching it?

I am not yet at the point that finger joint pain is creeping in. But I certainly do not want to hasten the inevitability.

What say you fellow "seasoned" players?
Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Can regular finger stretching exercises allow me to stretch across frets easier?

Conversely, is there any danger in manually grabbing a finger and stretching it?

I am not yet at the point that finger joint pain is creeping in. But I certainly do not want to hasten the inevitability.

I didn’t start playing until I retired at 63. So I was concerned from the get-go about keeping my fingers limber as I launched into this late journey. I’ve been doing a version of these exercises pretty much from day one. Twice a day. Morning and evening. Seven years later I still have had no hand/finger issues. And I play for at least an hour (usually more) daily. Maybe they will help you too.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:59 PM

Probably more than you need, but also ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGQD2Nw9O4&t=214s

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...for-guitarists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE

and finally, from our own Silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMnrArFbkxU

Obviously, BE EXTREMELY GENTLE. I use a (one) finger to stretch another (one) finger, that way i can't overpower it, and I'm stretching and strengthening at the same time.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

Last edited by lar; 05-25-2022 at 05:03 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-25-2022, 11:20 PM

That guys “average” length fingers are at least 30% longer than mine between every joint !
Wishing mine were average
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 05-26-2022, 01:51 AM

Quote:

I doubt that you can emulate the finger/hand movements used when playing chords with one or two stretching exercises. If you have problems playing a particular chord shape then practice it with a capo on to shorten the scale and gradually move the capo toward the nut.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

I think the best thing is to play guitar. Stretches etc are beneficial and especially when done during the course of actually playing. Andy gives great advice in terms of making the stretch achievable for you, then increasing difficulty as you make progress.

But it's good to know how to limber up and work out, especially at times during the day when you have nothing else to do so stretches certainly have a role.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-26-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Look at stretching as part of healthy maintenance of your muscles, ligaments and joints. Like any Althea’s, your hand and forearm are working hard and can be susceptible to injury and over use.

Stretching after working out does help prevent injury. I would not expect stretching to actually change or increase reach. Practice will hopefully accomplish that.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I gotta start doing this...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
I think the best thing is to play guitar. Stretches etc are beneficial and especially when done during the course of actually playing. Andy gives great advice in terms of making the stretch achievable for you, then increasing difficulty as you make progress....
One on the guitar exercise that may help (possibly from Pumping Nylon, possibly not): on the sixth string, place your first finger on the first fret for a count of 4 or so, then while holding it down, put 2 on 2nd, 3 on third and 4 on 4th, keeping all of them down at the same time and holding for a count of 4. Then reverse the process. Do it again, but this time use frets 1-2-3-5, then 1-2-4-5, finally 1-3-4-5. Then repeat on the other 5 strings. May not be able to do all the stretches with spaces between frets at first, but don't give up.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

For me I have found stretching etc. causes problems and is a negative effect. The best warm up for me is to start lightly playing the guitar playing easy cowboy chords with a thin pick. After thirty seconds to a minute, I quit for a couple of minutes. Then start again. Take another break and then usually I can start going at it in a limited fashion. I should never work at anything until after a song or two. If I push my hand by either stretching or playing before it is warmed up, I can feel it for the day and sometimes longer. And that is what you are trying not to do.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-26-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Hand/finger stretches

I find that playing is the best way the stretch my fretting hand. There are some great exercises out there specifically for fret board work. The pinky is challenging because it shares a tendon with the ring finger. Doing fretboard exercises that gradually build up your ability to stretch further can prevent injury.
Pumping Nylon as other folks have cited here as well as Pete Huttlinger’s DVD are great resources.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-26-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi, I don't think that you can artificially make your fingers longer, but stretching exercises like my "octopus" exercise simply shaking your hands out then do he "jazz hands as stiff as you can.

Thanks to Lar for mentioning my earlier hand exercise video - and here's an updated one :

When suffering from trigger fingers, some advised me to do the ball squeezing exercises to strengthen the fingers, but my hand physio lady said that such exercises are the best way to GET trigger fingers (!)

Our hands don't have muscles as such, the muscles controlling them are in our forearms - think of your palm and fingers as ropes and pulleys - we just need to keep them as free running as possible.

CTS and trigger fingers are all "RSI" and due to over, or mis-use.

We don't need more than normal strength to play guitar, just flexibility. I now realise that those fastest and slickest guitarists are those who have learned to fret as lightly as possible, putting the power in with their picking hand.

Remember!!! No exercises that cause pain is helping.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
One on the guitar exercise that may help (possibly from Pumping Nylon, possibly not): on the sixth string, place your first finger on the first fret for a count of 4 or so, then while holding it down, put 2 on 2nd, 3 on third and 4 on 4th, keeping all of them down at the same time and holding for a count of 4. Then reverse the process. Do it again, but this time use frets 1-2-3-5, then 1-2-4-5, finally 1-3-4-5. Then repeat on the other 5 strings. May not be able to do all the stretches with spaces between frets at first, but don't give up.
Great advice. I do this for 10 minutes daily and it has an effect. There's lots of variations, make up your own, work on your hammer ons and pull offs (all combinstiond) at the same time.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:26 PM

I never manually grab one of my fingers in order to stretch it, for me that does not feel comfortable. As it could also damage the finger joints I would not recommend anyone to do so.
Increasing the flexibility of your hand/fingers can be done perfectly by playing appropriate guitar exercises, for example like the ones mentioned by @brad4d8.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion