The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

That's an interesting dilemma I haven't seen mentioned before. Some tension between wanting to own a dream guitar, but not wanting a guitar that doesn't get used. How about setting aside one day of the week where you're only going to play the Froggy (at home)?
Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 AM

It's all about being in your comfort zone. I recently passed up a great deal on a guitar because the finances for my daughter's grad school were still up in the air. It just wouldn't have 'felt' right at the time.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Love the guy, we've played together for many years, I know his financial situation, he has more dough than any one I know.. he can afford it, choses not to.

Maybe that is why he has more money than the other people you know?
Old 05-25-2022, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine purchasing a $10,000 guitar that wasn't a collector - I'd be concerned about damaging it by playing it, but that's me. On the other hand, ten years ago I couldn't imagine spending what I did on my Emeralds so price is obviously a moving target...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-25-2022, 08:47 AM
Guest 33123

Sounds like an alternate form of GAS. Play the Frog and enjoy it, it was made to be played. And remember that you're an a lucky position. Some of us will never even get to play one, let alone own one. But do what you like. I'm just offering my opinion.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:58 AM

I get it.
I recently put one of mine up for consignment because it just wasn’t getting played. Too nice a guitar and turns out not to be my style.

Everybody’s got a comfort level of $$$. I have a guitar or two that stay home. They get played there, not as much as the ones that get gigged though.

Some folks have hot rods, or Harleys, or bass boats.
However someone chooses to spend their discretionary income is fine with me.
And how & when they use those toys, or whether they keep them at home - that’s fine too.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I see the OP is trying to talk it out with us and get a little support one way or the other.. I wish I knew what to say in support, but it is so past my comprehension that I have nothing. I'm agonizing over spending $1700 on a guitar right now so this whole thing is major league to me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-25-2022, 09:12 AM

My feeling is that the really high-end stuff is precisely for the hobbyists with means. Few people outside of stardom are going to take a $6,000+ guitar out on the road to play in pub venues and the like. Such instruments are generally for collectors and enthusiasts with deep pockets who like having really good stuff to play and savour at home.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:31 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I'm good up to around $4k. I feel like that's sort of the tipping point in the cost versus quality discussion. My Martin and Guild both are just about that price point and they are both fine guitars, and very playable.

I can't see paying more than that for something that needs to be played. If I were a professional, then maybe. If I were a collector, then maybe.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Insure the guitar, put a pickup in it, and then go gig with it. Unless you really need to sell it.

If you can afford nice stuff, use it. Otherwise, you aren't going to enjoy it.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:35 AM

Scott - sounds like you'd find a perfect fit with an Iris guitar.

I couldn't agree with you more. These guitars are meant to be played and not adored. I love my Fairbanks, but when I go to visit the Fairbanks\Iris\Circle Strings\Allied Luthiery Shop this summer. I am going to see if Dale can take a little off the fingerboard edges and the back of the neck - it needs a little accelerated wear and then it should fit "just fine".

But I'm still very wary of taking it around to play, or even outside on our back deck.

best,

Rick
Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Scott -- A tough decision. Correct me if I'm off base, but you don't really need the Froggy for your gigs unless you're going to do an instrumental where the Froggy might add something that your other guitars haven't got.

If that's the case, the Froggy is for home picking. It's your treat to yourself.

I can see why you're stuck on what to do with it. You have a plan on what to do with the money you'd get from selling the Froggy, so that should be a factor.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:47 AM

Just as a point .
In 1997 I played a Froggy bottom guitar at
A Kentucky shop that was unremarkable,did absolutely nothing for me.
Was it poor example? Was it my ear?
It sold so it spoke to someone.
Like anything else the player and the instrument
Should find each other..price point isn't everything!
Old 05-25-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Maybe that is why he has more money than the other people you know?
haha!

Hmm.. well he makes a point folks.

But no,

They drive about in new cars all the time and pretty sure pay cash for them.

It's a choice, and it's his to make.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi Scott,

If I were performing as you do, I would probably feel the same as you do about this expensive guitar being at home and not being used all that much. And I have had feelings like that in the past. However, my wife always stops me. "You'll use it later," she'd say.

You're concentrating on the gigs you are doing and you've got a system for using an amplified guitar. Taking less expensive stuff out for performing makes you more comfortable about the risks you are taking. I'd do the same thing.

I will say that when my wife has discouraged me from selling a guitar, when the future comes and I do use and appreciate that guitar, I am always grateful for my wife's foresight. So there is that other side to consider.

A Froggy H12 is a pretty special guitar. I always think of the Paul Simon line from his song "Overs:" "Each time I try on the thought of leaving you, I stop... stop and think it over..."

You have to do what you feel makes sense for your situation and your personality. I really do understand the dilemma you are in.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion