The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 01:33 AM

Default Falling out of love with my D15M

I love the sound of my D15M, but i'm starting to notice that its a lot harder to fingerpick than my other guitars, i've even resorted to putting extra lights on it and it hasn't made that much difference.

The most similar size guitar i have is my recording king RD-318. Same scale length and nut width. Its got Medium strings on it and is fine to play. It has a v-neck as opposed to the Martin low oval and the string spacing at the bridge is 2 1/4 inch instead of the Martins 2 1/8. Those differences do seem to make a huge difference, the string spacing i guess is what makes the difference.

Starting to think maybe i should trade it in for a 00015SM ?
Old 05-24-2022, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Both are great guitars. Have you tried a 000-15SM? It will not sound like a dreadnought but they are lovely instruments.

Assuming you have had the D15M a decent length of time sounds like you know what your issue with is so that's a great start. What could go wrong by checking out the otyer option?
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-24-2022, 02:10 AM

Not the same guitar at all, but I had a little parlor that I always loved but things started getting a little stale -- did a quick truss rod tweak and all is good! Perhaps a setup would get you back.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-24-2022, 02:10 AM

Never played one, but all the reviews I see are positive.
Another option would be a Guild M-20, again great reviews but a size down again. Or i keep the D15 and just accept its a strumming guitar, i do find it pairs excellently with my vocals.

Anyone else moved from a D15M to a 00015SM ?
Old 05-24-2022, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Not the same guitar at all, but I had a little parlor that I always loved but things started getting a little stale -- did a quick truss rod tweak and all is good! Perhaps a setup would get you back.
Good point, its the the top 3 strings that is causing the problem, my fingers get tired really quick with hammer off/ons
Old 05-24-2022, 02:57 AM

I would not like a 4 and 1/8 string spacing.

And I know that some guitars seem harder to play than others with the same specs.

Should you seek another guitar? Inly you can decide….
Old 05-24-2022, 06:08 AM

Of you can find a Guild D20 or M20 to try out might be worth it.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

A setup probably would help, maybe some light silk and steel strings if you don't need the volume. I have a couple long scale 15 series and when they're setup correctly they are pretty easy to play. But I do notice a difference when going from a short scale back to those. Also, for some reason my OM-15 string tension feels tighter than other guitars sometimes and it does feel more difficult to play. Not sure what could be going on there since it's got low action and same strings. Could be what happening to your D15 , maybe humidity changes?
Old 05-24-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaholic View Post
.... but i'm starting to notice that its a lot harder to fingerpick than my other guitars,
I've come to the conclusion that some guitars just feel like the strings have more tension than others. I know they don't (haven't measured it though), but it feels that way. The suggestion is to get a set up, but that doesn't do much to the feeling of tension.

I don't know why this is, but assume that neck profile is involved in the overall scheme of things.

Some guitars are better at certain hammer-ons and pull-offs, and I don't know why that is either.

Guitars differ in subtle things. Not saying it's magic. I still believe in cause and effect. But I don't understand the relationship.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaholic View Post
Good point, its the the top 3 strings that is causing the problem, my fingers get tired really quick with hammer off/ons
If you're talking left hand, then string spacing wouldn't be my first thought - rather as others have said, setup/action. Could also be neck shape, as some folks are very sensitive to the shape/depth of the neck and that impacts how efficiently you fret notes. Plus there could be technique issues - some approaches work better with some shapes than others. Body shape can influence it as well, as that changes the angles.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-24-2022, 12:22 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I often wish my D-15 was easier to play, both strumming and fingerstyle. There's a stiffness about it. I think I do need a set up to make the action lower. The tone is what makes it so sweet though, plus, I like the basic look of it. Keep tweaking and see if you can find a better solution.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 05-24-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

The right setup is everything, and not all places do it competently. Low, no buzz… but not so low that tone is choked off. Nut slot height. Saddle height. Neck angle… all matter.

But another thought for you might be to get it setup, and to pick up a short scale guitar. I have never played a guitar as easy to play as my Taylor AD17. Slinky. Great strummer. Great finger picker. There is a used one priced right on this forum.

Keep the D15 though. You’re gonna want it…
Old 05-24-2022, 06:17 PM

I've never had a D-15 but I really like my 000-15SM. It's a great fingerstyle guitar. My 000-18 is too.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:14 AM

After watching a load of videos on mahogany tops i cant see one i prefer over the D15M, so i will stick with it. I put some silk and Bronzes custom lights on it last night and there was a slight improvement; im guessing it is the neck shape that disagrees with me. The chunkier necks of my RK and Yams do feel much easier to play.

I'd be tempted buy a guild m20 if i saw one second hand, but its a different beast
Old 05-25-2022, 07:59 AM

https://youtu.be/wj1iMxaBPh4
Did you check this one out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion