The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

An electric string winder makes all the difference in stringing up a slothead.

What was a chore before is now no big deal.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:23 AM

I really like slot head guitars. Functionally, the ergonomics of having the tuner buttons pointed the right direction for a human hand to be able to turn them easily if you have arthritis issues with your hands means a lot to me. Most slot heads are also 12 fret guitars, and most 12 fret designs locate the bridge further back in the lower bout and it results in a "sweeter" tone with bit nice dynamic range. But some builders elongate the upper bout, which results in other tonal qualities that may or may not appeal to some players. They lighten up the headstock a tad, but they are also thicker so guess that might vary. The 3 on a plate tuners can add some strength to the headstock.

I think the issue most people have with re-stringing stot head guitars is that it takes a while to get used to it, just like changing oil first time on a new to you car. Watch a few U tube video's and take your time and it will get easier and faster. I think the biggest tip is to use 3-4 of your fingers to measure where to pre-cut string, then after the cut, use a small pair of needle nose pliers to bend the string end at a 90 degree angle about 3/8's to 1/2" straight down (with guitar sitting on it's back) and use the same pliers to thread that bent end into the hole. Then use a nice string winder to turn it. I like the "music nomad" string winder and it will not leave swirl marks on your head stock like so many others, especially the electric ones. So I think the whole debate on re-stringing slotheads VS pegheads is a wash, they both take 10 to 15 minutes and have some tricks and technique to learn.

A potential disadvantage is the slot head holes need to be precisely drilled so the holes are right depth, size and are in the right line to avoid binding and other issues. That is a builder issue really, but 2 holes versus 1 hole means peg heads are easier to build and install. Some slothead tuners have bushings to improve the action, it is a pretty primitive design really to just have a metal part spinning against wood. You have way more selection of tuners with peghead tuners versus slotheads, so that is a disadvantage IMHO.

This is an Ebay guitar I found few years back, unlabeled pre war cedar necked slot head https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cB...-no?authuser=0
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I think the issue most people have with re-stringing stot head guitars is that it takes a while to get used to it, just like changing oil first time on a new to you car.
That is not the issue. The process is trickier/more complicated, however many times one does it. One can get better and faster at it over time (I've owned slotheads since 2007), but put a paddlehead and a slothead side by side, and the skill, time, and delicacy required to restring the slothead are greater for the slothead. No matter how much experience a person has, there's no getting round that.

For ultimate simplicity, we get the paddlehead with a pinless bridge, as on many Ovation. Now that's a real breeze!

Last edited by ewalling; 05-26-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:41 AM

I honestly don't like the look. It seems to be a pretense to make a modern guitar appear more traditional.

I feel much the same way about open tuners, by the way. What's the point of making my guitar appear to be a lute?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I honestly don't like the look. It seems to be a pretense to make a modern guitar appear more traditional.

I feel much the same way about open tuners, by the way. What's the point of making my guitar appear to be a lute?
…I don’t think that a traditional aesthetic is a pretense…just a feature like any other….same goes for pyramid bridges and open back tuners….btw…there are some ultra modern guitars that feature a slotted headstock….
Old 05-25-2022, 11:22 AM

My SCGC's slotted headstock is a work of art, like a sculpture. It really adds to the beauty of the guitar. I have certainly seen others that don't appeal to me though. As to functionality, I'd give a slight nod to the paddle headstock, again some look nice to me and some don't. Regarding tone, I couldn't say, probably not a huge difference. The strings do tend to feel a bit springier on slot-head guitars, easier to bend and barr fret.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Slotheads are purtier and easier to tune. It seems odd that someone who has the dexterity to play guitar would have difficulty changing strings on any guitar.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
It seems odd that someone who has the dexterity to play guitar would have difficulty changing strings on any guitar.
And yet, as many of the pictures in this thread attest, so many people who think they know what they're doing actually don't. A lot of slot-head owners are clearly not making sure that the strings don't rub against the wood. That's where the extra effort comes in - you can't just insert the string, wind it up and call it a day.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:44 AM

I use Newtone Heritage on all my slotheads..I have three,2 Stellas and a Regal...they cannot be precut It wrecks them,be careful when precuttung some strings.That said I don`t find any problems restringing a slothead.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrets View Post
And yet, as many of the pictures in this thread attest, so many people who think they know what they're doing actually don't. A lot of slot-head owners are clearly not making sure that the strings don't rub against the wood. That's where the extra effort comes in - you can't just insert the string, wind it up and call it a day.
I love this! You are right. Every time I see a slot head, I glance at the string wind to see if they know what they are doing. You can get away with it on some guitars. Like a Collings if I remember correctly. But still any self respecting guitar geek should know better.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion