The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 09:04 PM

Default 1965 Val Dez V66 - "New Old Guitar Day"!

I haven't posted in a while. Found a reason to, this afternoon!

CDN $70.00. Straight neck, perfect action... The pickguard is long gone, but that fact and the natural "checking" all Landola's/Espana's/Val Dez seem to have give it some "mojo"! Dirty as a back-alley, but cleaning up nicely. The top is not caved in at all. Adjustable rosewood saddle, which I will keep. I had one of these before, but the top was caved in. This one showed up online today, so I scooped it up.

Here's Jake Wildwood playing a restored one. The second link is his breakdown of the guitar. They do indeed have a "Gibson" sound. The smaller scale size appeals to my kids, who have taken "passive" control of the Yamaha, Recording King, and Alvarez in my signature. But hey, three of four kids playing at home is a good thing - a very good thing, indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J326giJtEgw

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...z-00-size.html

This is a late birthday gift to myself. I've been stalking this one up here for a few weeks. To find another is a real miracle! I'll get some photos of mine up soon. About to put D'Addario XT 12-53's on in a few moments. A set up is on the immediate horizon - I won't "clip" the string-ends, so I can use them once the set-up is complete. I may splurge for a bone nut, like Wildwood did. I also have a pack of Elixir light-medium 12-56's I may choose to use, as I've had the strings for a year, and need to use them.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

Last edited by Everton FC; 05-16-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 PM

Interesting! When I was in Finland in 1981 I saw and played lots of Landolas, but I never encountered any Val Dez instruments. Sounds like a cool find.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-16-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Interesting! When I was in Finland in 1981 I saw and played lots of Landolas, but I never encountered any Val Dez instruments. Sounds like a cool find.

Wade Hampton Miller
Yep. In fact, I now know the U.S. went to the five-digit zip code in 1963, making it mandatory in 1967. So I changed the date to '65 - a guess, but may be pre-63. (The label says "Imported by Espana Guitars, 5 Union Square, New York 3, NY")

Jake Wildwood says it's like a B-25, to him. To me, it's sort of a mix of a Harmony Sovereign and a Gibson J45/50. It doesn't appear to me to be a 00 size instrument. The shape "leans" more Sovereign. And I love the sound of the rosewood saddle!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-17-2022, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

I had one (in poor condition) for a little while that turned out to be a basket case. Mine was branded as a Landola V66 Buffalo but appears to be the same guitar. One thing that surprised me, altthough a couple of sources online suggest these are solid wood, mine turned out to be all laminated, with spruce as both outside laminates of the top so I couldn't tell until the bridge was removed for regluing and the outer laminate chipped out slightly. Though it was quite lightly built for a laminate and could probably still sound pretty good.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

Last edited by PineMarten; 05-17-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Removed redundant word
Old 05-17-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I had one (in poor condition) for a little while that turned out to be a basket case. Mine was branded as a Landola V66 Buffalo but appears to be the same guitar. One thing that surprised me, altthough a couple of sources online suggest these are solid wood, mine turned out to be all laminated, with spruce as both outside laminates of the top so I couldn't tell until the bridge was removed for regluing and the outer laminate chipped out slightly. Though it was quite lightly built for a laminate and could probably still sound pretty good.
Mine has no neck issues - straight-edge slides right over the bridge. Action perfect. It does have a slight intonation issue on the Low E and A which is something I'll get remedied once it gets a proper set-up. It's light as a feather for its size. It definitely has the Gibson "mojo". Even has the same scale length as a Gibson.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-17-2022, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Cool find Everton. I listened to that YT video and especially like the Gibson-ey vibe. Congrats.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-17-2022, 10:22 AM

I love finds like this. I’m amazed at how nice and cool a guitar you can sometimes pickup for next to nothing. Congrats and I look forward to the pics.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:49 AM

Didn't Landola make acoustics for Peavey in the 1990s?
Old 05-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I was hoping mine would be a nice vibey camping/party guitar, but I got it in very rough condition, as a low-stakes experiment to see if I could learn some repair techniques. I definitely learned some things, but the patient did not survive!
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-17-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Never heard of that brand before. Very cool looking and sounding guitar, though.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Didn't Landola make acoustics for Peavey in the 1990s?
I’m not sure if it was in the 1990’s or earlier, but - yes - Landola made a line of acoustic guitars for Peavey for a while. A lot of them were made with birch backs and sides.

whm
Old 05-25-2022, 02:32 AM

Nice find, sounds great!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 05-25-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Yep. In fact, I now know the U.S. went to the five-digit zip code in 1963, making it mandatory in 1967. So I changed the date to '65 - a guess, but may be pre-63. (The label says "Imported by Espana Guitars, 5 Union Square, New York 3, NY")

Jake Wildwood says it's like a B-25, to him. To me, it's sort of a mix of a Harmony Sovereign and a Gibson J45/50. It doesn't appear to me to be a 00 size instrument. The shape "leans" more Sovereign. And I love the sound of the rosewood saddle!
I play a 1961 Gibson B45-12 and I agree on the rosewood saddle. I tried a bone saddle but found I preferred the one fashioned from wood. While the ADJ saddle increases the amount of attack you hear the rosewood saddle gives the guitar a kind of archtop vibe.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I play a 1961 Gibson B45-12 and I agree on the rosewood saddle. I tried a bone saddle but found I preferred the one fashioned from wood. While the ADJ saddle increases the amount of attack you hear the rosewood saddle gives the guitar a kind of archtop vibe.
I love the warmth and depth of the rosewood saddle. This has been an amazing find for my "stable". I love it. My son loves it. The neck profile is unique. And the neck is good and straight! If I can't afford a 50s/60s Gibson, I've come close w/this old Val Dez!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 PM

Pretty scarce guitar. Looks and sounds good. Too bad there are not more floating around

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion