The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly713 View Post
I would love to see Martin create an upscale DJr 10 with mahogany body, ebony fretboard, bone nut and saddle, better-quality tuners, back binding, rosewood peghead overlay, gloss finish, and hardshell case.

I love the DJr 10 I have, and I understand Martin's rationale for keeping the price at $500. And it has a certain appeal as a bare-bones rendition. But my point is, this is such a unique, innovative design that has been reviewed favorably everywhere that I think it deserves an upscale model to complement the entry-level model. It might have to be in the $1500 list/$1,200 street price range, but I would be first in line to buy one.
Agreed. I’d prefer that over the Streetmasters and would pay more for that.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 05-24-2022, 08:17 PM

Default a thought

I think the d-jr's are in their own sweet spot. And I think Martin is missing the bus on not making them in a variety od permutations. You know, like the 'regular' dreadnoughts?

Before Martin got around to making them, I shrank Stew-Mac's Herringbone dreadnought to 93% of oroginal size and designed my own guitars around that body outline. So far I've made six with a variety of body thicknesses, scale lemgths, and 12, 13, and 14 frets to the body. One's a 12-string.

I think Martin got it right. And 93% makes for a 24" scale lemgth 14 frets-to-the-body nice little dreadnought. No agonizing design considerations, just shrink and build.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think the d-jr's are in their own sweet spot. And I think Martin is missing the bus on not making them in a variety od permutations. You know, like the 'regular' dreadnoughts?

Before Martin got around to making them, I shrank Stew-Mac's Herringbone dreadnought to 93% of oroginal size and designed my own guitars around that body outline. So far I've made six with a variety of body thicknesses, scale lemgths, and 12, 13, and 14 frets to the body. One's a 12-string.

I think Martin got it right. And 93% makes for a 24" scale lemgth 14 frets-to-the-body nice little dreadnought. No agonizing design considerations, just shrink and build.
Ugghhh, ya just had to bring this up didn't you. LOL
I had my luthier "hot rod" a couple of mine. Full gloss, mahogany stain, K&K, bone nut and saddle, Waverlys, etc. Much like you I felt like this was the perfect dreadnought. I called them my mini D-18's. I am a vertically challenged player with tiny hands. I broiught one in to show my LGS dudes. One of the guys said "for the money you have in that guitar you could have bought a used D18". I told him that was not the point and I could not play a full size dreadnought. He just did not understand. However, as I became more advanced in my learning to play I gave a full size dreadnought one more try. Lo and behold I am now comfortable playing a real D18. I still love to play my D Jrs. A lot. And they are definitely more comfortable to play. But don't expect them to sound like a full size D18. But....for 1/4 of the price of a real D18 one would be foolish not to own one as a campfire standard.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:02 PM

Default shrinkage

The first guitar I built was (still is) a fullsize dreadnought. I built it at Dave Nichols' shop, and at the time Dave said it was dreadnought shaped but the bracing design was his. It sleeps peacefully in its case. My smaller ones feel lots friendlier on my lap. When I play my fullsize one it feels like I'm hugging a refrigerator. Sure sounds nice.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:30 AM

Default Tried them both

I first purchased a DJr, the original version with the deeper body. I sold that one after buying the DJr-10 I now play.

As I grew older, I got tired of trying to wrap myself around a full-sized dreadnought, even though I love the sound. I owned a Martin D-18, Guild D-40, Blueridge 140-A, and a Taylor 714 (dreadnought dimensions, except for a slightly more narrow waist).

So the DJr concept is ideal for me. Some of the dreadnought sound, but a smaller package.

The DJr-10 hits the sweet spot for me because of its slightly more shallow body. The 4" at the lower bout is exactly the same as my Martin 000-18, which I sold when I got into the DJr thing. The 000-18 was my first "downsizing" from the dreadnought size. The DJr's body just felt too much like the dreadnought size I was leaving behind.

I totally respect those who hear a deeper tone in the DJr as compared with the DJr-10. I played both side-by-side before selling the DJr. I just couldn't hear the difference. Just me, I'm sure. So I switched based only the shallower body, and am super pleased. I do have the Sitka top, BTW.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Scale length

I love my original D-jnr. I just wish it had a 24,9 inch scale length like my 00-16. I have large hands

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion