The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 AM

Default Amp & pedals for Takamine EF341SC

Hi

I've just purchased a EF341SC which is a great sounding and looking guitar.

I've only been playing for about 12 months and I'm looking for a solo practice amp and pedals. I don't need anything really loud and I won't be singing (god forbid), I do like the modelling feature on some electric amps like the Peavey Vypyr but I'm not sure whether that is really suitable for an electro acoustic.

I don't really know too much about pedals so any advice is welcome.

I live in the UK and I'm looking to spend about £200 or $300US, I play a bit of Clapton, Bon Jovi, Pink Floyd (an odd mix I know)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryechus View Post
Hi

I've just purchased a EF341SC which is a great sounding and looking guitar.

I've only been playing for about 12 months and I'm looking for a solo practice amp and pedals. I don't need anything really loud and I won't be singing (god forbid), I do like the modelling feature on some electric amps like the Peavey Vypyr but I'm not sure whether that is really suitable for an electro acoustic.
I think your Tak will sound best thru an amp designed for acoustic guitar, with minimal or no effects. If you want amp modeling and effects, you probably should have gotten an electric guitar.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

I agree with lmacmil - the beauty of the EF341SC (and man Taks for that matter), is that they are built to sound great plugged in, and yours is no exception. A good acoustic amp should do the trick nicely.

I play through a PA, and don't have much experience with amps, but for your price, there's a lot of folks around here who really like the Fishman loudbox mini. If you want to play around with effects, Zoom makes an acoustic pedal that I think goes for about $100 US that might give you some options - no personal experience with it, though - just seems like a decent set of features for the price.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM

I agree with ferg and imacmil; after decades of struggle, I finally went to Takamine and never looked back. The Loudbox mini is an EXCELLENT choice for a small, but surprisingly powerful amp that makes the Takamine sound gorgeous by itself...

However, I am ringing out the new Zoom G3 at present, and am mightily impressed - IMO the effects are as good, if not better than the Boss GT-10, which is really saying something. And it is only $200. The Takamine sounds great through it (even my nylon string versions - the TH5C and the TC132SC)...
Old 08-20-2011, 10:57 AM

I agree with all the the above, too. For amps, try the Loudbox Mini, or one of the smaller Ultrasound or Genz Benz amps. Other choices include the Roland AC-33 and the Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP. Try as many as you can and pick the one that sounds best to you!

Enjoy!

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification