The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Should I Have an Acoustic Amp? Recommendations Appreciated

My guitar instructor, been playing for 31 years, recommends that I get a microphone and an acoustic amp, to enjoy the effects possible with an acoustic guitar.

What say you folks? My guitar is a Goodall that I have been playing for about 6 months. It has no internal electronics.

JohnnyB
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM

For me personally,it's hard to replicate the richness of a good acoustic guitar. That being said,it helps to have a pick up during gigs etc so feedback problems are minimized.
If I ever decide to put a pick up on my Goodall (Trom) I would make sure that the exterior is not altered in any way.That way,if I were ever to sell it wouldn't discourage any purists from buying it.
The pick up I like is the fishman ellipse blend on my Martin 00-1R. As for a reasonably priced amp,I would recommend the Fishman Loudbox mini which has both reverb and chorus, a mike channel and a XLR direct output to the PA system.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm in the same boat with you...been playing 32 years and have very little experience with amplifiers. I have heard some good things about the Fishman Loudbox Mini...they seem to be pretty inexpensive (probably used for $200) and have some built in effects. Plus it has a mike input so you wouldn't have to have anything added to that nice Goodall! Looking forward to seeing recommendations from forum members.

Good luck!

1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 08-19-2011, 02:21 PM

All depends on your budget mate.

I'm of the mind that in the 4 Benjamins range you are hard pressed to beat the Ultrasound in my signature (which also has a 2nd XLR input channel for a mic). The Fishman Soloamp & (if you can find them) a BagAmp might also be candidates.

Moving up to a grand plus you will probably like the Bose modular set up.

Another alternative is to simply go the PA route (a mixer board & some amplified speakers- like the JBL ELON's)

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad

Last edited by sharkydude50; 08-19-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 PM

AER really are top of the league in my opinion

i have played pretty much all the major brands and alot of the obscure ones and AER rule the roost
Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Depends on the depth of your pockets as mentioned earlier.

$500 Fender Acoustasonic SFX II
$1000 Schertler "UNICO"
$2500 Humphrey "Expresso 15"
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
My guitar instructor, been playing for 31 years, recommends that I get a microphone and an acoustic amp, to enjoy the effects possible with an acoustic guitar.

What say you folks? My guitar is a Goodall that I have been playing for about 6 months. It has no internal electronics.

JohnnyB
Hi JB…
Well, if you are just getting into it, the UltraSound AG-50 (DS4) is about the most versatile and great sounding amp in the $400 region (new) and very natural.

It can be fed by mic, or pickup and is definitely one you can grow into if it's more than you need right now.

While AER and Rivera are great - they are not $600-1000 more great than the UltraSounds. If you travel and have to carry amps onto planes, the AER is it. If you are just amping for personal enjoyment or local gigs, the UltraSounds are hard to beat. I have/use two of them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM

It's like this: Do you need an amp and mic for work? For any other application? If not, don't electrify your guitar. Of course, if you're jonzing to be the new you and that new you is amplified, what can anyone say?

Barring anything I'm not aware of (please, no jokes back at Landru), I am in absolute disagreement with your teacher (playing for 31 years). If fact, it might just be time for a new teacher . . . . . that's for another thread. A Goodall guitar is beautiful without any help - that's one of the great things about a fine acoustic guitar. If you get live work and you need this stuff, buy an electric acoustic.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Gotta go with Landru on this one... you are opening a HUGE can of worms if you're thinking of getting an amplifier/PA AND putting a pick-up in your Goodall, just to mess around and "enjoy the effects possible" through amplification.

If you do not play on stage for people and do not plan to in the immediate future, I say leave that sweet Goodall the way it is... and play and sing to your heart's content!

I have the LR Baggs Anthem SL pick-up in both my Mark Angus acoustics; I like it quite a bit, yet a lot of folks do not... I have a Bose L1 Model I Classic to play and sing through; I like it quite a bit, yet some folks do not... are you getting the idea?

No matter WHAT you get, you will be able to find people who will disagree with your choices... it can be a very slippery slope on which to tread, this whole "amplification of acoustic guitars" thing. Be prepared if you decide to enter that world!

I recently received my new Goodall GC; at present, I have no plan to put a pick-up in it... when and if I do decide to go that route, I will figure out what I want to buy at that time. I found that the Anthem SL changed the natural, unplugged sound of my Angus guitars a bit; I'm unwilling (at this point in time) to subjugate my Goodall to the same treatment...

Play on................................................ .>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Sounds like your instructor is an electric guitar player...

Consider this: acoustic players go to great expense and trouble (and obsessive debate right here on this forum) in pursuit of 'the holy grail' -- that is, an amplified sound for live performance which most closely resembles their natural (unplugged) acoustic guitar. If you're not 'playing out' and don't need amplification, then you've already got the grail. EQ and effects are in your left and right hands...the soundbox is your amp.

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 PM

enjoying effects on a acoustic guitar, acoustic guitars are made to be played umplugged, unless you need the guitar to be loud for some reason there is no need for a amp.

when do i plug in my guitar to a amp, band practice and when the band plays a show, no effects are added to our acoustic guitars when playing live if we can help it. some times you might need to add just the slightest bit of reverb or delay to the guitars depending on the acoustics of the place we play, and even than we use as little as possible to keep the guitars sounding natural.

my guitar that does not have a pick up, i have not been playing out with but at band practice i have a microphone that i use to pick up the sound of the guitar that is ran into my genz benz acoustic guitar amp. genz bens makes aweosome amps. mine is old and not *** good as the new ones but it still sounds great.

i have played in rock and roll bands from the time i was 16 till i was in my late 20's and i never used effects on my guitar besides a bit of reverb and overdrive (distortion) you buy a nice tube amplifer and you should never need any kind of effect pedal unless you playing some psychodellic music ro something, you get a good tube amp and i want to hear my amp not some processed sounding effects. the only thing i like effects on are my vocals.

bottom line is this, do not go out and spend your money on a acoustic guitar amplifier or PA system unless you actually need one. when playing allong with music i halve to blast my stereo cus my acoustic guitar overpowers the music, not all acoustics are that loud but both of mine are.

now, if you want to sing a acoustic amp or PA is a good idea. that way you can actually hear what you sound like coming out of the speaker and not the sound that resonates threw your skull and what makes it to your ears which always sounds better than what other people are hearing. effects are good for vocals. we add a little bit of delay to our vocals to wetten up the sound, dry vocals never sound good. acoustic amps usually have effects and allot of them are great for vocals. but if your one of those people that likes to play around with your guitar making funny sounds and taking away from its natural sound than i guess you could use a amp to enjoy the effects on your acoustic guitar.

these are my opinions and i feel strongly about them. i never play my acoustic plugged in unless i need to.
genz benz shenandoah acoustic 88
aria pro III
egnater tourmaster 4212

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannylightning

http://www.myspace.com/dannylightningrocks
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 PM

It's a balance of bio-feedback and economics. With a Goodall you're worlds a head no matter what you do. People will come to you with the microphones.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 AM

It would be cheaper to find a new instructor! Look for a teacher who specializes in acoustic guitar
Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 PM

If you are only playing at home for your own enjoyment at the present time, no need for an acoustic amp and pickup. If you are gigging or even jamming regularly, you have to decide if you want to go acoustic with pickup or maybe full electric of some sort with an amp. Depends entirely on your situation.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification