The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM

The Toyota cars (5 of them) have been fine. My 2 Toyota trucks, really SUCKED big time. The last one, a 2003 Tundra, rusted right THROUGH the frame. They said I was too late to get into the recall on it, so I took a $3000 bath on a trade in for my wife's RAV-4. My Chevrolet trucks are doing great and getting better gas mileage than the Toyotas. I guess its a big "crap shoot".

At the risk of repeating myself, my all time SORRIEST CAR was my 1959 Renault Dauphine. The French should stick to wine and food! What happened to my mind? I should've bought a VW bug!

Fog
Old 02-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
As a long-time motorcycle guy, there's no question whatsoever that the Japanese motorcycles are more reliable than their American, German or Italian counterparts. I had a few BMWs and had relatively good luck with them but then one developed a final drive unit problem that was rampant with that model and BMW didn't exactly step up to the plate to correct the issue. It was back to Asian bikes for me at the time and I've never looked back.
The same with cars. After years of Chryslers and Fords, many of which had a myriad of problems, I switched to Hondas years ago and have never had an issue with any of them. We just added a Toyota Camry to the stable on the recommendation of several people. A quick check of Consumer Reports shows that out of the Top Ten Most Reliable vehicles, 7 of them are Toyotas. I'd say that's a pretty good record, the product of a different business and engineering culture I wish America would emulate more.
Yea, we had a Tercel that I only had to replace the ignition coil at 125,000 miles and a couple batteries along the way, Toyotas are great but beware of the early Tocoma,s they frame rusting out problems.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:36 PM

Hey PPG, you should be able to fit your drums in there no problem! Congrats.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 PM

My last Jeep was a 92 Cherokee 4.0L, had 419,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, needed a brake job, and not long on the clutch, but otherwise running good. My wife had a 2008 Grand Cherokee that was riddled with issues from the time she bought it. Had too many bells and whistles, and twice the price of the 92, not half the vehicle though.

I went the way of Toyota on my last vehicle, bought a used Tacoma with 100,000 miles on it, have since put another 100,000 on it. I get the feeling it will be around for quite some time.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
What I find interesting, is how FAST Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has improved. They have gone from being a joke 15 years ago, to being credible 10 years ago, to being legitimate competition to the Japanese 5 years ago.

I read a consumers reports article last year, and Hyundai, Kia and Genesis (their flagship like Lexus is to Toyota) were ALL in the top 10.

Incredible.
You're absolutely correct. I confess when we were looking for a used car recently, my old biases about Hyundai and Kia kept me from giving them a serious look without realizing the quantum leaps they've made in the past several years.
While I certainly have no regrets about going with Toyota, if I were in the market again, I'd give a more focused look at both Korean companies. Their 100,000 mile/10-year warranties are still outstanding and, frankly, I find both have some really nice styling cues, that being subjective, of course.
The Korean companies learned their lessons very quickly. Color me impressed!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 02-11-2020, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

My ‘94 Corolla has over 210,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. Always kept up with routine maintenance, never had any problems.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I have the little brother to your Sequoia, a 2013 Highlander. Great vehicle, bought it used as our primary dog hauler (we have an Aussie that likes to go with us).

I'm actually a Honda guy, and needed to replace my beloved '04 Pilot because it was getting up there. Planned to buy a slightly used late-model Pilot, but they are scarce up here in the High Rockies. Seems like Toyota outsells Honda up here 10 to 1, not sure why that is.

So I found this Highlander. Same difference. I call it my Honda Highlander or my Toyota Pilot. They're the same vehicle, pretty much.

And I sold my Pilot to the guy across the road, and he loves it as much as I did. Takes good care of it.

And the Highlander has been bulletproof for the two years I've had it, as expected. Great vehicle.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 AM

It's a crap shoot. I had one that was nothing but trouble. Bought it new and took great care of it. Total lemon.

I've been all Mopar for nearly 2 dependable decades.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-12-2020, 06:37 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Could I ask what the vechicle's average MPG is?

Just out of curiousity
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziapack View Post
My last Jeep was a 92 Cherokee 4.0L, had 419,000 miles on it when I got rid of it [...] My wife had a 2008 Grand Cherokee that was riddled with issues from the time she bought it. Had too many bells and whistles, and twice the price of the 92, not half the vehicle though.
I think it was around 1997 when Chrysler took over Jeep and started building garbage. We had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it took three motors to get it to 200,000 miles. I'm sure we paid for that car three times in payments + repairs. What an absolute turd.

The thing is, I really love the way a lot of Chrysler products look on the surface. I loved the 300's, Magnums, and the 4-door Wranglers, but I'll buy one again.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Mazda, zoom, zoom, zoom. I'm a convert. Fun to drive, look good, and compete with European cars for driveability, at a much lower price and better dependability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I have a ton of respect for Mazda. They are a tiny automaker, but they do big things. Very impressive. Unfortunately I'm not in love with their style lately. I really wanted to love the Speed3, but just can't get on board with it.

If you're a car nerd like me, take some time to read about their new "Skyactiv-X" engine, which is kind of a hybrid between gasoline and diesel - realizing the advantages of both, without the disadvantages of either. Every automaker has been trying to get this to work for 30+ years, and in the end it was Mazda that's made it happen.
Are we talking about newer Mazdas? Up until 2015 Ford owned 33% of the company. My wife went out on her own and bought a 2015 CX-9. She's a big girl who makes enough to buy what she wants but she didn't do her homework. It's essentially a Ford Matrix.

I have a good friend who is a used car buyer and he's warned me several times to ditch it because he's seeing a lot of them come up with transaxle problems. This year we had electrical problems with it and I'm hoping that my wife finally smells the coffee. Now is the time to sell to get any kind of return toward a trade.

Not to bash Ford, but like others here I'm also soured on US made cars after having dealt with many lemons. I've had several GMs with header problems, electrical problems, cooling system problems, transmission problems and basically I'm done with them.

That being said, I'm satisfied with my Honda but it's a minivan and I'm ready to move out of the "kid carrier" phase. When it goes I'm thinking of replacing it with a used Tacoma.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It's essentially a Ford Matrix.
Ford Matrix? Not familiar with that model...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Ford Matrix? Not familiar with that model...
Sorry, Ford Edge. They completely redesigned the CX-9 the following year (2016.)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Sorry, Ford Edge. They completely redesigned the CX-9 the following year (2016.)
Got it - I'd forgotten about the Edge, and the only Matrix I knew was a Toyota.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
You're absolutely correct. I confess when we were looking for a used car recently, my old biases about Hyundai and Kia kept me from giving them a serious look without realizing the quantum leaps they've made in the past several years.
While I certainly have no regrets about going with Toyota, if I were in the market again, I'd give a more focused look at both Korean companies. Their 100,000 mile/10-year warranties are still outstanding and, frankly, I find both have some really nice styling cues, that being subjective, of course.
The Korean companies learned their lessons very quickly. Color me impressed!
Absolutely agree. I’ve been an import guy most of my life. And a car guy since I was little. I’ve owned 2 BMW 528i, a BMW 328xi (all wheel drive), 2 Audi A4’s (one Quattro with premium pkg, one non Quattro), a Mercedes (which I absolutely hated and felt was one of the most overrated cars I’d owned), the list goes on.

I recently traded my A4 Quattro for a new (bought new in Aug 2019) Hyundai Tucson Sport. It had 7 miles on it. We peeled the paper off. While it’s still early (we’re up to 7k miles now), so far, I’m loving it. It has everything I could want option wise. Drive great. Rides smoothly, is built extremely well, and, as mentioned, the warranty is a huge plus.

It’s the standard 5 year/60k for bumper to bumper, 100k for drivetrain, BUT, our local Hyundai dealer provides a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain as long as we own it (and bought it from them of course).

We still have an A4 but it will be given to my daughter soon. There may be another Hyundai on the horizon. And to think, I had ZERO respect for them initially. They’ve come a LONNNNGGGG way.

Here’s a pic of the A4 I traded. And the new Hyundai.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71192271-F0C6-4B68-A5DB-C40D69632540.jpg (58.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg F0312348-285D-4EC1-8C63-F243694B1C73.jpg (56.7 KB, 42 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic