The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Fantastic, Glenn! I really enjoyed that. It's such a great tune... certainly my favorite on that album.

Terrific video too. I liked it. I think the 000-28VS seems very well-suited for that number. Gives it quite a warmth.

Outstanding job... maybe one of your best, but that's so hard to determine. It may just be a useless comparison. Lol... kinda like the kid in the chocolate shop picking out his favorite!
Hi Kerbie!

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words! I always appreciate hearing from you! Also, I'm glad you thought that Martin 000-28VS worked out well for this song.

It's good to know you are listening!

- Glenn
Old 01-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That was good Glenn!
Thank you Barry!

How nice to hear from you! I think Bruce is from your neighborhood!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I appreciate your comments, Barry!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 05:59 AM

Just awesome, great job! / you should play that 000-28 more often, sounds great and fits your voice real well.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:02 AM

Love your work Glen, from a longtime Springsteen fan that is awesome!

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 01-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
It turns out that my natural vocal quality is actually quite similar to Bruce Springsteen's, though I had no idea that was the case when I started this recording. In singing this song I couldn't help applying the many vocal inflections that Bruce used in singing this song because they are, I think, so very effective at implying all the energy and emotion behind the lyrics.
This is incredible Glenn. Ever since I've been checking out your videos, I've always been amazed at how good a singer you are (I'd be happy to be 1% of that good - I basically can't sing), but I have to admit that not all of it is to my taste. No disrespect there - some opera singers are the best singers on the planet, but it's not something I listen to a lot. This one, OTOH, is not just incredibly impressive, but I also loved it! Spot on for the feel of this song.

Maybe it's that Bruce thing - but I'm not gonna be convinced you totally live in the same vocal neighborhood as Bruce until I hear you do Wild Billy's Circus Story and Adam Raised A Cain. If you can pull those off as convincingly as this, I wanna see your tour schedule because I'm gonna be coming to a lot of shows!

Seriously, great stuff. I loved it!

-Ray
Old 01-12-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
Just awesome, great job! / you should play that 000-28 more often, sounds great and fits your voice real well.
Hi Bluetweed!

Thanks so much for your comments! I should play that 000-28VS more. It really is an excellent guitar with its own unique voice. I appreciate your thoughts!

Bluetweed is a cool name. I can just imagine a Fender guitar amp in that color!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblue View Post
Love your work Glen, from a longtime Springsteen fan that is awesome!
Hi Mick!

I have to tell you, you really made me smile with your comments! I am so glad you thought this came out well!

I hope you are well and a good, long distance away from the fires over there in Australia. I feel so badly about the devastation and loss of life.

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
This is incredible Glenn. Ever since I've been checking out your videos, I've always been amazed at how good a singer you are (I'd be happy to be 1% of that good - I basically can't sing), but I have to admit that not all of it is to my taste. No disrespect there - some opera singers are the best singers on the planet, but it's not something I listen to a lot. This one, OTOH, is not just incredibly impressive, but I also loved it! Spot on for the feel of this song.

Maybe it's that Bruce thing - but I'm not gonna be convinced you totally live in the same vocal neighborhood as Bruce until I hear you do Wild Billy's Circus Story and Adam Raised A Cain. If you can pull those off as convincingly as this, I wanna see your tour schedule because I'm gonna be coming to a lot of shows!

Seriously, great stuff. I loved it!

-Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks so much for taking time to view the video and then provide your thoughtful comments here!

Certainly, I would not expect your tastes in music to be the same as mine, so I realize nobody out there is going to like everything I do. But if you like some of it, that's still terrific! And I'm really glad you like how "I'm On Fire" came out.

As far as my voice sounding anything like Bruce Springsteen, well, it may be that there is a similarity only on this song. Who knows... I will go look up Wild Billy's Circus Story and Adam Raised A Cain and remind myself what they sound like. I have one or two Bruce albums but I am hardly an expert on his music. I have always been more of a folk singer than a rocker like Bruce. I'm familiar with a fair amount of his music from the mid-80s but these two songs are not in my memory banks. But if they fit my abilities, I will surely give them a try.

Thanks so much Ray! I am so pleased that you enjoyed this song!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will go look up Wild Billy's Circus Story and Adam Raised A Cain and remind myself what they sound like. I have one or two Bruce albums but I am hardly an expert on his music. I have always been more of a folk singer than a rocker like Bruce. I'm familiar with a fair amount of his music from the mid-80s but these two songs are not in my memory banks. But if they fit my abilities, I will surely give them a try.
Glenn, I have about 1% of your talent, and I'm being generous to myself here, but you inspired me. I just put up my funky version of one of Bruce's funkiest early tunes, the aforementioned Wild Billy's Circus Story. It's not good, but it was fun - I look forward to you giving it a shot!

-Ray

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...84#post6263084
Old 01-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

As I noted in your thread,

Ah, cool, Ray!

You did a good job on this! This totally works!

I don't know why I should bother trying to cover this! You've already done this better than I could! This song fits you!

Good for you, Ray!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Bluetweed!

Thanks so much for your comments! I should play that 000-28VS more. It really is an excellent guitar with its own unique voice. I appreciate your thoughts!

Bluetweed is a cool name. I can just imagine a Fender guitar amp in that color!

- Glenn
Bluetweed name was given to me by my peers for being a somewhat OK blues player and my tweed deluxe amp (Clark Beaufort)
When you sing with your 000-28 its 2 different instruments in the right space. Remember I love your songs all the time but your D35 competes with you and makes it harder to stand out and hear the great voice you have, it shines with the 00O-28 because its just more relaxed. Listen to Eric Clapton as his strength is singing relaxed . George Martin with the Beatles always left the right frequency's open for voice and guitar. You are a talented guy for sure! I am a fan who has been around the horn just giving some advice, love your stuff!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
Bluetweed name was given to me by my peers for being a somewhat OK blues player and my tweed deluxe amp (Clark Beaufort)
When you sing with your 000-28 its 2 different instruments in the right space. Remember I love your songs all the time but your D35 competes with you and makes it harder to stand out and hear the great voice you have, it shines with the 00O-28 because its just more relaxed. Listen to Eric Clapton as his strength is singing relaxed . George Martin with the Beatles always left the right frequency's open for voice and guitar. You are a talented guy for sure! I am a fan who has been around the horn just giving some advice, love your stuff!
Hi Bluetweed!

You have a Tweed Deluxe Amp?! Awesome! One of the absolute great Fender amps of all time!

And thank you for your advice on the 000-28. I will keep that in mind. I'm very honored that you like what I do! Thank you!

- Glenn
Old 01-13-2020, 07:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Such an emotionally raw and powerful song. You nailed it, Glenn! Hitting those high notes couldn’t have been easy... great sound and guitar work as well. Really great work!
Old 01-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Such an emotionally raw and powerful song. You nailed it, Glenn! Hitting those high notes couldn’t have been easy... great sound and guitar work as well. Really great work!
Thank you Larry!

How wonderful to hear from you about this song and recording! I'm very gratified that you felt that this came out well!

Yes, hitting those high notes was a challenge, but practice really helps me. I think the reason a lot of people feel that they can't sing is that they won't practice enough to get reasonably good at it. I think people think singing just happens naturally. But just like playing, singing takes practice. And a good ear, of course.

I hope you are healing well Larry. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM

Great rendition of a very catchy tune, Glenn - I listened to this yesterday evening and today was thinking about your vocal delivery and intensity and I wonder if you have considered covering “Lying Eyes” by The Eagles - I think Don Henley sings on the original, and maybe his vocal range would be difficult to replicate, but I think you certainly have the intensity to match.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell