The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2020, 01:43 PM

Default For the uninformed.......

The uninformed being myself. Can anybody provide an explanation as to why someone would want a LR bags anthem vs the LR bags Lyric?
I have a lyric installed and like it really well ..... are there any big advantages to anthem?
I play at home and I’m not going out on the road LOL
Mrbirdog
Old 01-15-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
The uninformed being myself. Can anybody provide an explanation as to why someone would want a LR bags lyric vs the LR bags anthem?
I have a lyric installed and like it pretty well are there any big advantages to anthem?
I play at home and I’m not going out on the road LOL
Mrbirdog
I'm sure you know, but the Anthem incorporates an under saddle pickup. This adds punch and the traditional acoustic tone that sound guys are more accustomed to. Just helps to keep everyone happy being that you can blend in the UST. Sometimes, you may want the punch of the UST.

I've owned the Lyric and it has been fine and very natural, but it isn't very hot and I've had issues with hearing it in a mix.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Sorry, I thought it said, "for the uniformed".

(and I've put my nurse's dress on specially).
Old 01-15-2020, 05:54 PM

If you're happy, why change it? Seems like the anthem will do you just fine at home.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-16-2020, 04:26 AM

I have a Lyric in one guitar and an Anthem SL in another. I'd agree that the Lyric is just fine for home use. In a noisy setting, I can get a higher feedback-free sound level from the Anthem SL (once its properly EQed). I presume that the full Anthem system could facilitate an even higher sound level and a more cutting tone when blended for more UST in the mix. (With the Anthem SL, the UST {theoretically} provides all the signal below 250Hz and none of the signal above 250Hz. With the regular Anthem system, you can blend in a full frequency range of UST signal.)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm sure you know, but the Anthem incorporates an under saddle pickup. This adds punch and the traditional acoustic tone that sound guys are more accustomed to. Just helps to keep everyone happy being that you can blend in the UST. Sometimes, you may want the punch of the UST.

I've owned the Lyric and it has been fine and very natural, but it isn't very hot and I've had issues with hearing it in a mix.
The Lyric might be absolutely fine for you. I've used guitars with a Lyric and also the Anthem. Here is what the Anthem adds:

- less eq hassle in larger venues/louder venues. It is much more 'plug and play' than the Lyric.

- a more pronounced bass response. The Lyric lacks oomph in the bass.

- A less 'live' guitar.' The Lyric tends to activate the whole guitar as a giant mic - shirt buttons on back of guitar, finger noise etc.

- More immediacy that comes with a UST.

and the downside: a potential dampening of the unplugged sound that might come with the UST.

Here's the thing: the Lyric is a fantastic piece of kit - it might be absolutely fine, but the Anthem brings a lot more flexibility and benefit, IMO.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-17-2020, 09:09 AM

Because everyone isn't looking for the same sound. Nice to have choices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification