The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I did exactly the same thing to my 114e, including the L.R. Baggs Element!

(However, I have no power tools, so it took FOREVER to hacksaw and sand down to size.)

I neglected to upload a photo of the finished product, but I painted it black and installed the endpin jack.

And yes, it sounds a lot better now, and I'm not ashamed to use it as a backup guitar or for festivals and other such performance that might endanger my "nice" guitars.

Last edited by bkharmony; 08-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Nice...

Nice job..the hole in your's is shaped a little different than mine was...that's amazing without the ban saw....
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Default another gig...

I just did another gig...locally here at Stonecrest Assit Living...took my Marshall amp and ran my guitar thru my Fishman Aura pedal....sounded great...I'm really loving this Non ES Taylor....can't wait for my GS to show up next week!!!!....
Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Finished!!!

Well, got some stain today so here's the finished job....!!!!

And, here's how I covered the three holes. First I used Velcro to mount this tuner...the sticky stuff on the back of it got dirty and messed up...the velcro didn't work real good...so, today I mounted it with that white stuff that you put behind picture frames.....tuner works better now. I'll just have to remove it and replace it every year or so when the batter goes down...no biggie!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Can I ask this - has there been any deterioration of the sound using the Element. Specifically, I'm curious to know if the natural acoustic sound of the instrument has been affected.

TIA
Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM

what tool did you use to take out the preamp (three little knobs)? it has slots on the outer edge so a normal screwdriver will not work.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default housing..

If I remember corectly there is a housing around the three knobs that actually holds the pre-amp in place. Plus, I wasn't at all interested in keeping the pre-amp so I wasn't worried about destroying it....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Default not at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender69 View Post
Can I ask this - has there been any deterioration of the sound using the Element. Specifically, I'm curious to know if the natural acoustic sound of the instrument has been affected.

TIA
Not at all...but, a day or two after removing the ES and installing the element I put in a bone nut and saddle. But, I've had elements in other guitars before and I honestly can say I don't think it's affected the tone.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks, good to know.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default took out bone saddle...

The element pick up can be tricky to get the same volume on each string. And, I noticed that some strings were louder than others. I assumed it was the bottom of the bone saddle not being perfectly flat. I removed the bone one and put the tusq one back in...and, now the string volume is perfect. I use a Boss 10 ban eq pedal between this and the amp and it sounds great!!....
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM

I have noticed the string problem as well in this new install. Time to do some sanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification