The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-22-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
....put on cholesterol and BP meds...now on zero meds....
What? I thought that when you start on those meds, its' forever. (?) Anyway, congrats on getting into shape.

Quote:
Hoping to live to watch my grandkids grow up.
I'm hoping to live at least until mid-May (and well beyond, in fact) when my new boat gets finished being built and delivered.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Horse, so great to hear that. Inspiring to us all I'm sure! Very happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
What? I thought that when you start on those meds, its' forever. (?) Anyway, congrats on getting into shape.
No, quite the contrary you BP is in most cases totally in one's own control. I was on BP meds before going plant-based. Dropped 20-25 pounds, dropped all my cholesterol numbers, and came off the meds as my BP was starting to get low. It's one of the greatest things we've figured out, that many chronic diseases which were thought of as permanent are in many cases totally controllable. Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure issues, etc. Simply taking off the weight can also do wonders for your BP.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Congratulations Horse, so great to hear that. Inspiring to us all I'm sure! Very happy for you.

No, quite the contrary you BP is in most cases totally in one's own control. I was on BP meds before going plant-based. Dropped 20-25 pounds, dropped all my cholesterol numbers, and came off the meds as my BP was starting to get low. It's one of the greatest things we've figured out, that many chronic diseases which were thought of as permanent are in many cases totally controllable. Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure issues, etc. Simply taking off the weight can also do wonders for your BP.
Exactly. I have a home bp monitor, so I check my bp all the time. Usually 110/70 no meds for me anymore.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

As a nearly 50yo (later this year), who's out of shape and on multiple meds, this is the kind of thing that really scares me. I'm trying to make changes, but it's like swimming upstream, especially with bad knees.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:18 AM

Just read through all these posts.

Horse - sorry about losing your friends. Your stories really hit home as I'm 55 and fighting to get back into shape and lose the extra weight (about 100 lbs extra!). I believe the key is proper nutrition and daily exercise, with the nutrition being about 90% of it. Genetics play a huge role as well, especially with the cardiac risks.

I worked on an ambulance for 15 years. Many, many, many cardiac arrests and quite a few were guys who were young (under 60) and fit appearing. Unfortunately the vast majority we couldn't save. On the flip side, I worked many heart attacks too and if caught in time, most are able to get the interventions they need to survive.

Prevention and early detection are key. As someone else said, don't forget your colonoscopies, skin checks, PSA's, and regular check ups with the Doc. It could save your life.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I値l definitely let you all know how the scan goes. Been feeling a slight tightness in the chest on and off since his death 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it痴 just the stress of it.
Sorry to hear of all you are going through and sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Please keep us posted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic